Pets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2011, 09:10 AM
RE: Pets
Btw, I find it ridiculous when I see someone walking his/her dog in city and the dog sees a cat or something and goes crazy. Then the owner tries to calm the dog but ends up sliding on the icy road 'cause the dog's too strong, and the dog only calms down after the cat has escaped and the embaressed owner continues the walk. Would make a great viral video though. But Why have a big dog, that doesn't obey any commands from it's owner, in a city?

I find cats alot better pets than dogs, escpecially big dogs. You can freely let a cat outside without having to worry about what's it going to do. But you can't do that to dogs, not even out of town. Our neigbors had a sick amount of dogs and when they got out of their yard, they navigated to our place and chased the chickens to the forest.
Plus, one crazy emotionally unbalanced kid had a crazy dog* which he sometimes let free and made it chase others when he got pissed.
*Crazy at least partly because the kid somewhat tortured it. When I was at his 4th or 5th birthdays, he drank his big brother's beer, squeesed the dog's snout and head and did something to it's balls. At some point it broke it's leash, so we hid inside, but he let the dog inside, so we had to hide into one room.
His parents practiced ''free upbringing'', which explains alot. Just about all of their kids have became assholy criminals.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2011, 09:12 AM
We've got three dogs, A border collie, a maltichon, and a staffordshire terrier. Also we frquently have a dog or two here being trained. I train professionally, both for private customers and for Manitoba Search and Rescue.
We think of our 20 laying hens as pets. They often come onto the deck in the evening during the summer and hang out with us. They've all got names, and they'll live with us as long as they like. (Many farmers put down their chickens after a couple years because they stop laying eggs, or slow down. We didn't get them for meat, so when they retire, they can just hang out and enjoy the farm)
We have about 600 rats, but only really think of two of our females as really pets. They LOVE attention, and have been with us for a long time now. We don't breed them much anymore. They are mostly foster moms for babies who's moms don't take care of them.
Lastly, we have 14 snakes. All Ball Pythons. We breed, but that's not really why we have them. I mostly just love the company and demeanor of reptiles. (And we've rescued more than a couple from homes who didn't know how to care for them).

So many cats, so few good recipes.
18-02-2011, 09:46 AM

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. – Susan B. Anthony
18-02-2011, 10:32 AM
I have a cat.
She's very affectionate and sticky and always sleeps on my shoulder when I go to bed.
She's also playful and energetic - sometimes to my detriment as my scars clearly show Tongue

What I would really love is a gray fox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDb27ZP9z...re=related
I think they're adorable - their temperament is from what I've read a cross between cats and dogs.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
18-02-2011, 04:57 PM
I have a dog who is just a big happy mutt, and I would rather spend time with her over a large majority of the people I know. She's getting up there in age (12 this May) so I'm starting to worry about her. In fact, I worry about her so much my wife calls me a "dogochondriac".

My kids wanted pets so during the holidays we got them two pet rats. We went with rats since they are smarter and easier do deal with then most other rodents and they only live 2 years.

I'm not a cat fan and I'm allergic to them. But, speaking of cats, am I the only one who noticed this one line from Lillith?

[quote='Lilith Pride' pid='20302' dateline='1298011174']
I'm not the most insane cat lady but, I do have an unnusual affinity to cats which exemplifies itself in things like BDSM and Anthropomorphism.
[quote]

Lillith - you've got my vote for "most interesting life off the internet".

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
18-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Agh, so many cat people!!! I dislike cats; they are so stuck-up! Tongue

I'll go with a giant dog any day... Though, since I live in an apartment and a city, that reality isn't possible at the moment Sad So when I go home to my parents', I spend as much time as possible playing with our German Shepard/Boxer cross and our chocolate Lab.

I'd really love to have an English Mastiff (when I live on an acreage again), or any variety of shepherd or sled dog, especially if I remain in Northern Canada. One day, my partner and I would like to breed Canadian Eskimo (alt. Inuit) Dogs, since there are so few of them left.

Oh, and I would also love to have a pet tarantula, but my partner is scar-... I mean, he doesn't like spiders Wink So we have an agreement: he doesn't get a cat (he's a cat-lover) and I won't get a tarantula Tongue

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
18-02-2011, 08:51 PM
(18-02-2011 09:12 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  We've got three dogs, A border collie, a maltichon, and a staffordshire terrier. Also we frquently have a dog or two here being trained. I train professionally, both for private customers and for Manitoba Search and Rescue.
We think of our 20 laying hens as pets. They often come onto the deck in the evening during the summer and hang out with us. They've all got names, and they'll live with us as long as they like. (Many farmers put down their chickens after a couple years because they stop laying eggs, or slow down. We didn't get them for meat, so when they retire, they can just hang out and enjoy the farm)
We have about 600 rats, but only really think of two of our females as really pets. They LOVE attention, and have been with us for a long time now. We don't breed them much anymore. They are mostly foster moms for babies who's moms don't take care of them.
Lastly, we have 14 snakes. All Ball Pythons. We breed, but that's not really why we have them. I mostly just love the company and demeanor of reptiles. (And we've rescued more than a couple from homes who didn't know how to care for them).
Rats do make great attention loving pets. I had one for about 2 years, and I ended up having her put down when she stopped eating (she had had 4 tumors developing for many months). She was a sweetheart though. Loved to ride around on my shoulder or in my arms, loved taking treats out of my hand.
You also make me miss my ball python. She died in 2009, and was the absolute best pet I have ever owned. Every single one of the reptiles I've owned and cared for have been hand-me-downs or rescues. They are so fascinating, and I find them much more rewarding than cats or dogs. My beardie is about 9 and on the way out (another rescue, little bit of a sad history) and I'm dreading the day he passes. I don't think I will get any reptile pets for a while when he does pass, as apartment living and time are two constraints on me. I have thought about getting something smaller, but I'm really looking forward to the day I have time for a snake or two again. Do you breed any ball python morphs Stark, or just your standard?

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
19-02-2011, 01:14 AM
(18-02-2011 08:51 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  
(18-02-2011 09:12 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  We've got three dogs, A border collie, a maltichon, and a staffordshire terrier. Also we frquently have a dog or two here being trained. I train professionally, both for private customers and for Manitoba Search and Rescue.
Rats do make great attention loving pets. I had one for about 2 years, and I ended up having her put down when she stopped eating (she had had 4 tumors developing for many months). She was a sweetheart though. Loved to ride around on my shoulder or in my arms, loved taking treats out of my hand.
You also make me miss my ball python. She died in 2009, and was the absolute best pet I have ever owned. Every single one of the reptiles I've owned and cared for have been hand-me-downs or rescues. They are so fascinating, and I find them much more rewarding than cats or dogs. My beardie is about 9 and on the way out (another rescue, little bit of a sad history) and I'm dreading the day he passes. I don't think I will get any reptile pets for a while when he does pass, as apartment living and time are two constraints on me. I have thought about getting something smaller, but I'm really looking forward to the day I have time for a snake or two again. Do you breed any ball python morphs Stark, or just your standard?

Sorry to hear your Beardie isn't going to be around much longer. They are great little lizards!
We breed mostly morphs. Right now we have 0.1 Mojave, 0.1 Lesser, 0.1 het Albino, 1.0 Albino, 1.2 pastel, 1.0 het clown, 1.0 lemon blast and a whole bunch of normal girls. I'd really like to get the pied gene into my collection next. My lemon blast is breeding several girls this season, so if the odds go my way I should get some pretty cool combos. Hopefully enough to get a few new genes going around here!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
19-02-2011, 03:02 AM

(17-02-2011 11:32 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  Who loves animals? I don't know if I could do without pets. My fiancee and I have three cats, a fish tank, cockatiel, and my real buddy, a bearded dragon. Who else out there is a pet lover? What do you have?

I can understand you so very well. We have one dog (a boxer lady, unfortunately already 10 years old) innumerable lots of goldfish in the pond, four cats and four horses. Rolleyes
Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2011, 09:25 AM

(18-02-2011 09:10 AM)Kikko Wrote:  Btw, I find it ridiculous when I see someone walking his/her dog in city and the dog sees a cat or something and goes crazy. Then the owner tries to calm the dog but ends up sliding on the icy road 'cause the dog's too strong, and the dog only calms down after the cat has escaped and the embaressed owner continues the walk. Would make a great viral video though. But Why have a big dog, that doesn't obey any commands from it's owner, in a city?

I lived in an (12 story) apartment for 3 years, and while I have no idea of telling how many cats were in the building (I'd see someone carrying the odd box of kitty litter)- but there were SO MANY dogs! The elevator always STUNK like dirty/wet dog. Sure, there were some cute smaller dogs that would be OK to live in an apartment, but the big ones really belong somewhere with house and big backyard.
Quote this message in a reply