Phaedrus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Phaedrus
You know, I never posted an introduction thread.

Howdy all, I'm Phaedrus, that's fay-uh-drus, and I'm an atheist. My stance on god is simple: until objective evidence of his existence is provided, I will not believe in him. Same goes for all other supernatural concepts. I also reject the Christian/Jewish/Islamic god(s) as immoral and unworthy of worship even if they did exist.

My career is as a product manager for consumer electronics. I'm basically the guy that translates and compromises between engineering, sales, marketing, management, vendors, etc. and makes sure the damn thingamajig actually sees market. Currently out of work, since I quit my last job to take a job at another company, when the other company backed out and left me hanging. grumblemumbleburndownbuildingmumble

I have a great deal of knowledge in the sciences. I'm a college drop-out who majored in Geology with my sights set on paleontology. So I know quite a lot about geology, paleontology, and biology, and to a lesser extent physics and chemistry. I'm no good at math, but I can do differential calculus if I absolutely must.

I also know a great deal about computers and electronics, with a great deal of interest in power electronics and analog-digital interaction. I'm no electrical engineer, but I've done a little bit of design and layout of digital and simple analog circuits and have several small projects on the side. I also have basic programming skills and know PHP, C#, Python, Lua, and Java, and basic C++.

My hobbies are guitar (blues and rock), video games (PC), computers (make it go fast!), and science fiction (Niven and Heinlein are my favorites). Also firearms, though I don't own one at present. Also seeing the natural sights of wherever I'm living at the moment.

Speaking of, I've lived all over the United States, in nine different states, most notably Maryland, Virginia, Ohio, Texas, Louisiana, and California. I also lived briefly in Taipei, Taiwan and can speak (but not read or write) a bit of Mandarin and Taiwanese. Oh, y tambien hablo espanol, pero no muy bien. Mis amigos Mexicanos dicen mi acento es terible!

And yeah, that's me. Hi!

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
24-10-2012, 12:45 PM
RE: Phaedrus
Welcome aboard. We look forward to getting to know you, newbie! Tongue

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
24-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Oh you.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
24-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Welcome. Smile

[Image: opforum1.png]
24-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
24-10-2012, 12:56 PM
(24-10-2012 12:44 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  You know, I never posted an introduction thread.

Howdy all, I'm Phaedrus, that's fay-uh-drus, and I'm an atheist. My stance on god is simple: until objective evidence of his existence is provided, I will not believe in him. Same goes for all other supernatural concepts. I also reject the Christian/Jewish/Islamic god(s) as immoral and unworthy of worship even if they did exist.

My career is as a product manager for consumer electronics. I'm basically the guy that translates and compromises between engineering, sales, marketing, management, vendors, etc. and makes sure the damn thingamajig actually sees market. Currently out of work, since I quit my last job to take a job at another company, when the other company backed out and left me hanging. grumblemumbleburndownbuildingmumble

I have a great deal of knowledge in the sciences. I'm a college drop-out who majored in Geology with my sights set on paleontology. So I know quite a lot about geology, paleontology, and biology, and to a lesser extent physics and chemistry. I'm no good at math, but I can do differential calculus if I absolutely must.

I also know a great deal about computers and electronics, with a great deal of interest in power electronics and analog-digital interaction. I'm no electrical engineer, but I've done a little bit of design and layout of digital and simple analog circuits and have several small projects on the side. I also have basic programming skills and know PHP, C#, Python, Lua, and Java, and basic C++.

My hobbies are guitar (blues and rock), video games (PC), computers (make it go fast!), and science fiction (Niven and Heinlein are my favorites). Also firearms, though I don't own one at present. Also seeing the natural sights of wherever I'm living at the moment.

Speaking of, I've lived all over the United States, in nine different states, most notably Maryland, Virginia, Ohio, Texas, Louisiana, and California. I also lived briefly in Taipei, Taiwan and can speak (but not read or write) a bit of Mandarin and Taiwanese. Oh, y tambien hablo espanol, pero no muy bien. Mis amigos Mexicanos dicen mi acento es terible!

And yeah, that's me. Hi!

You sure know about a lot of different things!

BTW, Welcome!

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism
24-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks mates. Heh, knowing a little bit about everything can come in handy when you need to communicate with people of different backgrounds. Tongue

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
24-10-2012, 01:14 PM
(24-10-2012 01:08 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Thanks mates. Heh, knowing a little bit about everything can come in handy when you need to communicate with people of different backgrounds. Tongue

How did you manage to be a product manager by age 21?

At 21, I was a pot-smoking, pizza-devouring, ale-swilling, girl-chasing university student.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
24-10-2012, 01:23 PM
(24-10-2012 01:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 01:08 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Thanks mates. Heh, knowing a little bit about everything can come in handy when you need to communicate with people of different backgrounds. Tongue

How did you manage to be a product manager by age 21?

At 21, I was a pot-smoking, pizza-devouring, ale-swilling, girl-chasing university student.

By being talented and lucky and having a couple of very, very good references. Tongue But of course, being so young is part of what makes it hard getting another job now that I'm out of my old one. Glad to be out of it because I had to work with some real assholes there. But I do miss the $22/hr.

And who's to say I can't still do all of that stuff? I've got some pizza right here and some ale in the fridge and I know a guy who can hook me up... Tongue Head down to the local college and spin tales of my world travels... Tongue

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
24-10-2012, 03:53 PM
(24-10-2012 01:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  At 21, I was a pot-smoking, pizza-devouring, ale-swilling, girl-chasing university student.
What part of that, besides being a university student, has changed? Consider