Phantom Time Hypothesis or just great weed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Phantom Time Hypothesis or just great weed?
I did a forum search for this topic and found nothing... sorry if it's been discussed. It is news to me and I can't believe how much it intrigues the hell out of me. Dodgy

This has evidently been around since 1991 and is the brain child of Heribert Illig. I trust it was some awesome shit he was smoking. Dodgy

It proposes that periods of history, specifically the early middle ages between AD 614 to 911, did not exist and that there has been a systematic cover up through alteration, misrepresentation, and forgery of documentary and physical evidence. Illig goes so far as to state that Charlemagne is a fictional character concocted by medieval chroniclers.

Here's a pretty in-depth article on this kooky but interesting bit of trivia:
http://www.forteantimes.com/features/art..._time.html

Pretty whack... but I must admit... it had me thinking how it could actually be done, what with human beings willing to go along with whatever bullshit info falls into their lap. It would be as if history was actually an urban legend.

Not that it has anything to do with anything but... I did discover this kooky hypothesis after a puff of really potent shit as I was watching QI.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-12-2012, 12:37 PM
RE: Phantom Time Hypothesis or just great weed?
(20-12-2012 12:30 PM)kim Wrote:  I did a forum search for this topic and found nothing... sorry if it's been discussed. It is news to me and I can't believe how much it intrigues the hell out of me. Dodgy

This has evidently been around since 1991 and is the brain child of Heribert Illig. I trust it was some awesome shit he was smoking. Dodgy

It proposes that periods of history, specifically the early middle ages between AD 614 to 911, did not exist and that there has been a systematic cover up through alteration, misrepresentation, and forgery of documentary and physical evidence. Illig goes so far as to state that Charlemagne is a fictional character concocted by medieval chroniclers.

Pretty whack... but I must admit... it had me thinking how it could actually be done, what with human beings willing to go along with whatever bullshit info falls into their lap. It would be as if history was actually an urban legend.

Not that it has anything to do with anything but... I did discover this kooky hypothesis after a puff of really potent shit as I was watching QI.
I was just going to ask you if you've been watching QI... and then I read your last sentence... Same here, only - I was having rum (or maybe a caipirnha.. same difference, really).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
20-12-2012, 12:41 PM
(20-12-2012 12:30 PM)kim Wrote:  I did a forum search for this topic and found nothing... sorry if it's been discussed. It is news to me and I can't believe how much it intrigues the hell out of me. Dodgy

Dendrochronology and carbon dating of artifacts disprove this idea.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Yes - I usually don't pay attention to those "jubious" things... but this one caught my bleary eyed attention. I was yelling out loud, "No fucking way!!". Then, I found myself considering ... it could be done with the right media manipulation and carrying it throughout history ... like a meme.

I kind of liken it to the way people today outright believe the Jesus stuff is be-all, end-all fact.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
20-12-2012, 12:50 PM
The more elaborate the conspiracy and the more people necessarily involved to pull it off, the more difficult it is to create and keep secret

AKA. People can't keep secrets. Especially men with a hot woman in front of them in lacy underwear.

Evolve
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
20-12-2012, 12:50 PM
(20-12-2012 12:48 PM)kim Wrote:  Yes - I usually don't pay attention to those "jubious" things... but this one caught my bleary eyed attention. I was yelling out loud, "No fucking way!!". Then, I found myself considering ... it could be done with the right media manipulation and carrying it throughout history ... like a meme.

I kind of liken it to the way people today outright believe the Jesus stuff is be-all, end-all fact.
Oh, that's why they pronounce it like it and have it in the J series...

I don't think it's possible to pull something like this off, though. Same reason I don't believe the Illuminati are secretly controlling the world and other crap like this. We are too lazy and disorganised to do it. Plus, it's just way too big (and unnecessary).

20-12-2012, 12:51 PM
(20-12-2012 12:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Dendrochronology and carbon dating of artifacts disprove this idea.

The creators of those sciences were in on the cover-up though.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
20-12-2012, 12:52 PM
From what I can see, there is very solid evidence against this hypothesis.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erfundenes_Mittelalter

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
20-12-2012, 12:52 PM
(20-12-2012 12:50 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Especially men with a hot woman in front of them in lacy underwear.
Lace suck. Way too itchy.

20-12-2012, 12:54 PM
(20-12-2012 12:52 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 12:50 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Especially men with a hot woman in front of them in lacy underwear.
Lace suck. Way too itchy.
Not if you get the right kind. I kind of like how it feels when I... o_O I mean, yea.

Crotchless? I have no idea what Petraeus was looking at...or Clinton.

Evolve