Phil Robertson, Ducky Dynasty and war on Christmas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2013, 01:56 PM
RE: Phil Robertson, Ducky Dynasty and war on Christmas
I really couldn't care less about Phil Robertson's opinions about homosexuals or the hereafter. He's entitled to say what he wishes. Unfortunately for him, his employer, A&E does care about his public pronouncements and they now have a problem with their employee. This sort of thing is not at all unusual, it happens frequently. Sportscasters, actors, athletes.... they all have contracts which place restrictions on their outside activities, behaviour and yes, their words and opinions. This doesn't just happen in the entertainment business either. It happens both in private industry and in the public sector. So this has nothing at all to do with "free speech", it has to do with an employee - employer relationship. What his supporters are attempting to do is play the "relgious freedom card" in order to give this man a pass. This is not really all that complicated.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Heathen's post
22-12-2013, 08:48 PM
(21-12-2013 01:14 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  What the hell did you expect from a fundamentalist Christian hillbillie redneck shitkicker hailing from West Monroe, Louisiana?

Carry on.

Oh, West Monroe. That explains a lot. The fumes from the paper mill rotted out his brain.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
23-12-2013, 08:42 AM
I like Jon Stewart's take on Christian persecution. He said something to the effect of hoping that on day, we would be able to have an openly Christian president in this country, and maybe, God willing 43 of them consecutively.

Those poor Christians. It's hard. That's why I stopped believing. Too much persecution.

(21-12-2013 11:51 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-12-2013 10:49 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Ha! Now I want to see it. Big Grin

you asked for it

[Image: 1525332_636400729752825_608171472_n.jpg]
lol, false equivalence is false. I guess this shouldn't be surprising given Phil's stupid arguments in the first place*.

* I don't particularly care that Phil finds homosexuality gross. While I find him too credulous, I'm not surprised that he believes there is an invisible wizard who thinks that homosexuality is a sin. What I find stupid is him using his own subjective tastes that homosexuality is icky as proof that "sin isn't logical". What the actual fuck, Phil? That's a terrible non-sequitur. State both of your wacky beliefs if you want, but don't pretend like one leads to the other.
23-12-2013, 08:55 AM
(22-12-2013 01:56 PM)Heathen Wrote:  I really couldn't care less about Phil Robertson's opinions about homosexuals or the hereafter. He's entitled to say what he wishes. Unfortunately for him, his employer, A&E does care about his public pronouncements and they now have a problem with their employee. This sort of thing is not at all unusual, it happens frequently. Sportscasters, actors, athletes.... they all have contracts which place restrictions on their outside activities, behaviour and yes, their words and opinions. This doesn't just happen in the entertainment business either. It happens both in private industry and in the public sector. So this has nothing at all to do with "free speech", it has to do with an employee - employer relationship. What his supporters are attempting to do is play the "relgious freedom card" in order to give this man a pass. This is not really all that complicated.

And A&E is partially owned by Disney - and those folks are damn serious about guarding their reputation.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
23-12-2013, 10:22 AM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2013 10:39 AM by Raptor Jesus.)
(23-12-2013 08:55 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  And A&E is partially owned by Disney - and those folks are damn serious about guarding their reputation.

Oh, they're owned by Disney? Disney is oddly quite gay friendly. They even have a "gay day", or something like that, at Disneyland. I don't know about Disneyworld, but I know they have it over here. Conservatives get all upset about it.

23-12-2013, 11:26 AM
(21-12-2013 02:46 PM)Alla Wrote:  Be patient, my friend, and you will find piece.Smile

Did he say he didn't have "piece"?

Assume much, proselytizing twat?

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
23-12-2013, 11:39 AM
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/12/23/duck-d...-responds/

'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson stands by his comments: 'I will not back off from my path'

If anyone thought Phil Robertson would back down from the comments that got him suspended from A&E’s Duck Dynasty, they were sorely mistaken.

After igniting a cultural firestorm by talking about the “sin” of homosexuality in an interview with GQ, Robertson invited the U.K.’s Daily Mail to sit in on his Bible study Sunday, during which he further defended his beliefs.

“I will not give or back off from my path. … We murder each other, and we steal from one another, sex and immorality goes ballistic,” he said during the West Monroe, Louisiana, Bible study, which he led. “All the diseases that just so happened to follow sexual mischief…boy there are some microbes running around now,” he said, adding, “Sexual sins are numerous and many. I have a few myself. So what is your safest course of action? If you’re a man, find yourself a woman, marry them and keep your sex right there.”

He continued: “Common sense says we are not going to procreate the human race unless we have a man and a woman.”

It wasn’t all fire and brimstone from Robertson. “I love all men and women,” he claimed. “I am a lover of humanity, not a hater.”

[Image: bth_ted_haggard_daydream.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
23-12-2013, 12:05 PM
I don't understand why A&E suspended him. He acted dumb, and said something dumb. Isn't that what he's already being paid to do?

“The only reason people do not know much is because they do not care to know. They are incurious. Incuriousity is the oddest and most foolish failing there is.” -Stephen Fry
23-12-2013, 02:30 PM
(23-12-2013 12:05 PM)Fat Mac Wrote:  I don't understand why A&E suspended him. He acted dumb, and said something dumb. Isn't that what he's already being paid to do?

Dumb =/= racist/homophobic.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
23-12-2013, 03:45 PM
(23-12-2013 11:26 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(21-12-2013 02:46 PM)Alla Wrote:  Be patient, my friend, and you will find piece.Smile

Did he say he didn't have "piece"?

Assume much, proselytizing twat?
"fired up" is opposite of having piece(being calm). He said:"I am fired up"

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection