Philip Pullman

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Philip Pullman
Any other fans of Philip Pullman's "His Dark Matters" trilogy? Can't wait to read it to my kids Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2013, 11:16 PM
RE: Philip Pullman
My relationship with him has ended Angry

He built such beautiful tension throughout the first 2 books, then the third book the only way he could resolve the tension was this weak shit about aliens on wheels who can somehow communicate with humans... throw in some God related shit... and then come up with this totally bullshit reason why the hero and heroine can't live together even though they love each other just to insert some pathos into the story.

It was like reading a new Lord of the Rings, the first two. After that it turned into a cross between James Bond and Scooby Doo - not in terms of what happened but in terms of the feel of the writing.

It's a common problem with writers I think. Robert Jordan also suffered from it. He made this awesome world in the first few books of the wheel of time series and then he was supposed to be bringing it all to some sort of conclusion but by that time he'd got so many sub-plots and useless shit going on that he was just flailing around. Mind you, it worked well for him. He could have shat on a piece of paper and given it a title and people would flock to buy it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply