Philomena

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2014, 05:32 PM
Philomena
I just finished reading Philomena and watched the movie as well. I wasn't really impressed with the film, but that's maybe because the book was SO MUCH better. However the film did raise an interesting issue of "evil nuns" a bit stronger than the book.
When a young girl gets pregnant out of wedlock in the 50's in Ireland, she's sent to a monastery where she has to work for 3 years and eventually her child is being taken away from her and given to an american family for adoption. And even though Philomena and her son are trying to find each other for many years, and both visit the abbey a lot of times trying to get some information out of the nuns, they never get any help from them. The story is based in true events and I found it so hard to read pushing through my resentment against brainwashing young girls that they are sinners and horrible people even if you were raped by 3 men, you are still an evil sinner.
I'm all for secularism and i think this book is a great advocate for the case of separation of church and state. To this day abortion is prohibited in Ireland, even if the fetus is dead you still have to carry it to term and give birth to a dead child. This is just barbaric! and there's a case of Savira Halappanavar, where an expectant mother died after being refused an abortion while she was miscarrying anyway. And it's all because Ireland is Roman Catholic.
Has anyone read the book or watch the film? What are your thought?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Happy's post
06-05-2014, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 06:17 PM by kim.)
RE: Philomena
Here's a link to the rate the movie posting... I just rated it the other night. I didn't want to say much about it... I wanted people to see it and have it all just kind of sneak up on them.

I Liked the film because it was simple in a way... the several revealing moments came slowly and everything was measured.

Star and writer, Steve Coogan said that he changed some of the things about the film - he said he made gave the nuns a more "evil" and conspiring tone than he felt the book had. He said that was his choice because that's how he personally feels about the catholic church. He also said that Martin Sixsmith, the real reporter he was portraying, is actually agnostic rather than atheist.

He and the producer Harvey Weinstein got a lot of flack from people saying it was "anti-catholic". ... Interestingly, I found this on the wikipedia page referring to the "anti-catholic" remarks:
... in an interview with Philomena Lee and her daughter Jane Libberton with Clare Balding on BBC Radio 2 it was disclosed that, after Philomena met Pope Francis, she watched the film in the Vatican "with two of his right-hand men and they didn't think the film was anti-Catholic".

I might pick up the book. I usually love the books more than the films made from them but, I also consider them to be different animals. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
06-05-2014, 06:13 PM
I've not watched it yet. But perhaps I will on my next flight.

I saw the trailer and thought it looked really good but decided against because I don't like the hosties asking me why I'm crying.

Blush

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
06-05-2014, 06:16 PM
I have to say... when Judi Dench's eyes pool up... make sure you have some tissue at hand. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.