Philosopher Kings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2017, 08:48 AM
Philosopher Kings
So I just finished watching Zuckerhuck give a speech at Harvard on wealth inequality, our yearning for an individually meaningful role in society, universal basic income and continuous lifelong education packed into 3 of the most elegant minutes I've ever heard and it occurred to me that I am listening to a philosopher king.

I'm gonna start a PAC called "Philosopher Kings - Because we literally are too stupid to settle these matters ourselves"

Who else should I throw my considerable political influence behind? Who are our Marcus Aurelius?

(For some reason Mark Cuban popped into my head. That seems weird. Gonna go see why.)

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2017, 09:29 AM
RE: Philosopher Kings
It bears experimentation.

If I had to choose what to pursue - I am more turned on by proper education for all kids, but certainly conducting experiments with universal income is interesting.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
29-05-2017, 09:40 AM
(29-05-2017 09:29 AM)Dom Wrote:  It bears experimentation.

If I had to choose what to pursue - I am more turned on by proper education for all kids, but certainly conducting experiments with universal income is interesting.

It sounded like he's proposing government supported lifelong continuing education. Like in the People's Republic of Maryland I can go to university for free if I'm 60 and retired only without those restrictions.

#sigh
29-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Mark,

I'm very glad to hear you support universal basic income. I'm willing to settle for just a small fraction of what you earn. PM me when you read this and we'll work out the details. Sorry I'm not on Facebook.

Sincerely,

I'mFred
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
29-05-2017, 10:06 AM
(29-05-2017 08:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Who else should I throw my considerable political influence behind? Who are our Marcus Aurelius?

I don't think we need an Aurelius as much as we need a Cicero. But considering what happened to Cicero, maybe no one wants that role.

Quote:Six mistakes mankind keeps making century after century: Believing that personal gain is made by crushing others; Worrying about things that cannot be changed or corrected; Insisting that a thing is impossible because we cannot accomplish it; Refusing to set aside trivial preferences; Neglecting development and refinement of the mind; Attempting to compel others to believe and live as we do.

Do not blame Caesar, blame the people of Rome who have so enthusiastically acclaimed and adored him and rejoiced in their loss of freedom and danced in his path and gave him triumphal processions. Blame the people who hail him when he speaks in the Forum of the 'new, wonderful good society' which shall now be Rome, interpreted to mean 'more money, more ease, more security, more living fatly at the expense of the industrious.'

Though liberty is established by law, we must be vigilant, for liberty to enslave us is always present under that very liberty. Our Constitution speaks of the "general welfare of the people." Under that phrase all sorts of excesses can be employed by lusting tyrants to make us bondsmen.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
29-05-2017, 10:07 AM
(29-05-2017 10:04 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Mark,

I'm very glad to hear you support universal basic income. I'm willing to settle for just a small fraction of what you earn. PM me when you read this and we'll work out the details. Sorry I'm not on Facebook.

Sincerely,

I'mFred

Do you live in Newark? He gave them $100 million last year. Maybe you could move to Newark.

#sigh
29-05-2017, 10:10 AM
What the fuck good is a 100 million if you have to live in fucking Newark?
[+] 3 users Like I'mFred's post
29-05-2017, 01:01 PM
As we enter the robotic age, more and more people will not have any work. We will have to re-think the whole system.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
29-05-2017, 01:46 PM
(29-05-2017 08:48 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So I just finished watching Zuckerhuck give a speech at Harvard on wealth inequality, our yearning for an individually meaningful role in society, universal basic income and continuous lifelong education packed into 3 of the most elegant minutes I've ever heard and it occurred to me that I am listening to a philosopher king.

He has a point of course. That concept has been brought up again and again in Europe over the last decades.

But I'm sceptical nonetheless. Zuckerberg hasn't got a genuine bone in his body. Starting from more or less plagiarizing the idea of Facebook, which did cost him quite a tidy sum of money, to Facebook being turned into a giant marketing profile generator that is anything but altruistic. It just presents people with a personal bubble to stew in, with the sole purpose of selling personalized ads.

So I'm not sure how to take Zuckerberg suddenly having social ideas. I'm sceptical in the case of Bill Gates also, since him turning altruistic came in the wake of a big scandal. But Gates at least already gave away big chunks of his fortune.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
29-05-2017, 01:50 PM
imo Gates has hurt American education more than he's helped it

I don't know about his other donations but his educational donations are attached to a bunch of bullshit politics he doesn't know anything about.