Philosophical Arguments for God are Pointless

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Philosophical Arguments for God are Pointless
Note that I didn't say wrong. They are, certainly, but that's not my point here. There's a phrase 'hijacked deism' for these kind of arguments, because they're arguments to prove the deist god, hijacked to attempt to prove theistic gods.

But they're completely pointless as proofs. Totally superfluous for anyone attempting to prove a specific theistic god. Put simply, let's accept that the argument works, and I say, "Yes, I now believe in an all-powerful intelligence, which one might call a god." So... they still haven't proved their god. They've proved the deist god. But we're familiar with it thus far.

Now, a philosophical argument might demonstrate the necessity of a god (For purposes of this argument), but it could never provide specific details about that deity. You can get powerful, intelligent, and maybe a couple of other gross characteristics, but not "Is called Yahweh," "Wants you to cut off pieces of your genitals," "Causes hurricanes when he's pissed off."

So, in the end, the theist now has to provide you with evidence that their specific god exists. Now, for sake of argument... let's say he can actually do this, and you're now a christian/muslim/pastafarian/etc...

Then what was the point of the philosophical argument? By proving his specific deity exists, he also proved, as a part of that, that an all-powerful intelligence exists. So, why bother with the philosophical argument in the first place? Any evidence that would prove Yahweh, would also prove the generic deistic god of the philosophical arguments for god. In the end, every last philosophical argument for god is a waste of time for both the atheist and the theist. Only the deist has any point bothering.

Just something I thought of while I was making a late night snack.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sines's post
04-10-2011, 11:25 PM
RE: Philosophical Arguments for God are Pointless
(04-10-2011 10:42 PM)Sines Wrote:  Note that I didn't say wrong. They are, certainly, but that's not my point here. There's a phrase 'hijacked deism' for these kind of arguments, because they're arguments to prove the deist god, hijacked to attempt to prove theistic gods.

But they're completely pointless as proofs. Totally superfluous for anyone attempting to prove a specific theistic god. Put simply, let's accept that the argument works, and I say, "Yes, I now believe in an all-powerful intelligence, which one might call a god." So... they still haven't proved their god. They've proved the deist god. But we're familiar with it thus far.

Now, a philosophical argument might demonstrate the necessity of a god (For purposes of this argument), but it could never provide specific details about that deity. You can get powerful, intelligent, and maybe a couple of other gross characteristics, but not "Is called Yahweh," "Wants you to cut off pieces of your genitals," "Causes hurricanes when he's pissed off."

So, in the end, the theist now has to provide you with evidence that their specific god exists. Now, for sake of argument... let's say he can actually do this, and you're now a christian/muslim/pastafarian/etc...

Then what was the point of the philosophical argument? By proving his specific deity exists, he also proved, as a part of that, that an all-powerful intelligence exists. So, why bother with the philosophical argument in the first place? Any evidence that would prove Yahweh, would also prove the generic deistic god of the philosophical arguments for god. In the end, every last philosophical argument for god is a waste of time for both the atheist and the theist. Only the deist has any point bothering.

Just something I thought of while I was making a late night snack.
Re hijacked Deism
I like that term and it happens a lot. It is possible to sensibly claim that a force must have existed pre big bang in order to get everything rock n' rollin. Some people will call that force 'god' and then move, with no justification whatsoever, to Yahweh or Jesus.

The same thing happens with "intelligent design". Arguments are given to suggest a designer the hidden premise being that the designer is also "perfectly good".
If a designer was involved, given the historic misery of man and beast on this planet
he would surely be demonic rather than godly.Angel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post