Philosophical toys: Timeconcept

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2011, 01:21 PM
RE: Philosophical toys: Timeconcept
Can you picture photons as actual "things" like that?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2011, 02:32 PM
(07-02-2011 01:21 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Can you picture photons as actual "things" like that?

Light behaves like a wave and like a physical thing. It has actual mass, and that is why it can be held gravitationally by a black hole. Consider that plants "convert" it to make food - which has physicality.
07-02-2011, 03:43 PM
(07-02-2011 01:16 PM)TheSelfishGene Wrote:  So when you turn on the lights, photons come into existence.

Minor nitpick: they don't spontaneously come into existence. They were there all along - they were just part of other things. Thermodynamics and all that.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
08-02-2011, 03:30 AM
We are not going to solve this without the help of at least a couple hundred top scientists and some hugely expensive gear like the Big Hadron Collider, or something else of that magnatude. We, however, don't need to solve it to write a sci-fi book or movie and collect some royalties.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
08-02-2011, 12:30 PM
(07-02-2011 01:21 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Can you picture photons as actual "things" like that?

Well... I guess they have to be...something. So yes

Quote:Minor nitpick: they don't spontaneously come into existence. They were there all along - they were just part of other things. Thermodynamics and all that.

Okay, thanks for correction... I hope my point is made anywayBlush

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
08-02-2011, 01:42 PM
(08-02-2011 03:30 AM)No J. Wrote:  We are not going to solve this without the help of at least a couple hundred top scientists and some hugely expensive gear like the Big Hadron Collider, or something else of that magnatude. We, however, don't need to solve it to write a sci-fi book or movie and collect some royalties.
As the post title sais No J.: They’re toys. On can dream, can we Wink
Gotta go now, the Super-Duper-Mega-Big-Hadron-Collider in my basement is warmed up and my friends have just arrived. Hope they didn't forget the beer.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
08-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Thank you Observer for an interesting subject.

I read quickly through this thread but could not find any mention of the term "Space time continuum". Also from Einstein.

Anyway, I don't remember which scientist said this but

"Time is but the measurement of the passage of events".

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.