Philosophically, why are human's able to understand the world around us?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2010, 08:17 PM

Philosophically, why are human's able to understand the world around us?
I was talking to my father the other day, and he presented the question:

"Philosophically speaking, why are human's able to understand how things work around them? Why can we learn and understand about atom's, and quantum physics? Why are we so much more intelligent than animals? Why are we so different? Why are we so much more Intelligent? Remember, I don't want a Biological explanation, a philosophical explanation."

Any ideas?
Quote this message in a reply
26-12-2010, 10:20 PM
RE: Philosophically, why are human's able to understand the world around us?
I'm not sure if there is much philosophical answers to this questions.. This is more of a medical question.

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cetaceaphile's post
26-12-2010, 10:54 PM
I don't think there is anything philosophical about the question, it's all biological, and probability. Basically we were the lucky species that became fully bipedal.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TheKetola's post
26-12-2010, 11:02 PM

Yeah, My first reaction was You can't bring philosophy into this because it's not a philosophical question. Of course he's pointing at intelligent design, even though he believes in evolution (which is probably contradictory.) So, because he's pointing at intelligent design, how can I refute his argument? It seems like he thinks he's right because it is obvious that we are more intelligent than animals, and he must think I have nothing to back that up with, and he thinks that people being much more intelligent than animals is evidence for intelligent design, which it isn't. Any more ideas?
[+] 1 user Likes sjvirchow's post
26-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Well dolphins also use their neocortex, and may actually be smarter than humans, the only difference is that we have bipedalism and oposable thumbs, which allows us to make tools. Through the making of tools, eventually we developed systems of storing information (writing, paintings, DVDs, etc.) and this literacy and stored information, as well as easy communication, makes us seem more intelligent, but in reality we are more ADVANCED. A lone human, with no education, and no tools can not survive in a battle with a dolphin.
26-12-2010, 11:59 PM
(26-12-2010 11:07 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  Well dolphins also use their neocortex, and may actually be smarter than humans, the only difference is that we have bipedalism and oposable thumbs, which allows us to make tools. Through the making of tools, eventually we developed systems of storing information (writing, paintings, DVDs, etc.) and this literacy and stored information, as well as easy communication, makes us seem more intelligent, but in reality we are more ADVANCED. A lone human, with no education, and no tools can not survive in a battle with a dolphin.

A lone human with no tools and no education wouldn't even survive a dinner date with a dolphin Cool (no seriously... A free dolphin can be easily offended if you don't adopt their courtesy system for first impressions xD)

But ya this is a fair point. Human are more advanced, but other creatures out there (though on this particular planet only dolphins and whales which we know of) which have the same awareness and understanding, only we have a solid way of building and storing our culture for people hundreds of years in the future to experience almost directly.

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
27-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Yay I said something intelligent! If only I were a dolphin, that wouldn't be so surprising xP
27-12-2010, 08:15 AM
That is looking for a answer where one doesn't exist. It was worded so that you are looking to find purpose and reason behind human intelligent. The problem is, there is no grand and mighty purpose. We evolved higher intelligence because we lucked out.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
27-12-2010, 10:03 AM

(27-12-2010 08:15 AM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  That is looking for a answer where one doesn't exist. It was worded so that you are looking to find purpose and reason behind human intelligent. The problem is, there is no grand and mighty purpose. We evolved higher intelligence because we lucked out.

Sounds like typical catholic apologetics to me. He then gave me a book called "Made for More" by Curtis Martin. It said that humans are made to strive for happiness, and somehow that means we must strive to gain ultimate happiness. (Heaven.) Ultimate Happiness is impossible, also he's making the assumption that heaven actually exists. He also uses the "Lord, Liar, or Lunatic" argument, which I think is a pretty poor argument in and of itself.
27-12-2010, 04:27 PM
(26-12-2010 08:17 PM)sjvirchow Wrote:  Remember, I don't want a Biological explanation, a philosophical explanation."

Any ideas?

Your dad's trying to limit your answer to make it impossible for you. Whenever someone says "I don't want you to answer in this way", that's because they know it's an answer they can't refute.

Basically, he wants you to shut up and listen to him. He doesn't want a discussion, and you aren't going to make any headway. There's no point answering him.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Give me one good reason why the human race should continue Lazarus Unchained 69 1,826 28-07-2014 10:24 AM
Last Post: Michael_Tadlock
  couldn't early human evelution be used to argue againist veganism kunoxian drive 19 236 16-07-2014 07:32 AM
Last Post: kunoxian drive
  Nobody would be "good" anymore if the world turned to atheism? Pearl 22 673 06-03-2014 04:27 PM
Last Post: WillHopp
  In the world of Pokemon... Colourcraze 8 276 10-02-2014 11:03 AM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  Materialism: An alternative view of the world, if you are truly interested HU.Junyuan 10 484 12-12-2013 03:46 PM
Last Post: Alla
  World Going to Hell! Timber1025 37 834 11-11-2013 03:37 PM
Last Post: Mr Woof
  If you could change one thing about human nature, what would it be? Cathym112 11 553 02-10-2013 06:48 AM
Last Post: ClydeLee