Philosophically, why are human's able to understand the world around us?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2011, 02:56 AM

RE: Philosophically, why are human's able to understand the world around us?
Human able around the world because human have many extra ordinary things,human always thinking,working hard,human have a scientific mind,human have a spiritual mind,so human able to know around the world.human have a satellite and and space too.
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2011, 05:06 PM
In a nutshell.........

The enlightenment believed that humans were equal to each other due to our ability to reason. They went on to explain that this sets us apart from the animals. Where animals base their actions and thoughts on instinct, we base ours on reason. The ability to reason allows humans to explore and question the world around us giving us answers and understanding leading us to enlightenment.

Quote:"Religion poisons everything." - Christopher Hitchens
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2011, 11:22 PM

Building off of what Stefania has stated,

What seems to be the difference between humans and any other animal? Is it simply biological make-up or do we have this unique aspect in which we understand where we conceptualize, judge, and argue about the world around us?

What do you think?

I apologize if this has already been settled, but defining terms is necessary in order to really understand what's being suggested on here. Example, this being a biological and not a philosophical question? I'm definitely interested in seeing what you even mean by the term "philosophy." As well as the term "reason."
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2011, 01:07 AM
I agree with most posters here apart from TrainWreck who comes across, to me, as someone who fails to grasp what sjvirchow was asking. The original question cannot be answered philosophically because it is not a philosophical question. We may try our best to answer it philosophically but it will only be a waste of time.

Regarding evolution; opposable thumbs, vocal chords and the invention of language make it possible for human as a species to communicate ideas, accumulate knowledge and pass it down from generation to generation. We'll never have automobiles without the invention of wheels. We cannot get to where we are today without, in Isaac Newton's words, "standing on the shoulders of giants". So, yes, we lucked out.

The only way the original question can be answered (to some degree) is by eliminating the rest of the question. So instead of asking:

"Philosophically speaking, why are human's able to understand how things work around them? Why can we learn and understand about atom's, and quantum physics? Why are we so much more intelligent than animals? Why are we so different? Why are we so much more Intelligent? Remember, I don't want a Biological explanation, a philosophical explanation."

Ask:

"Philosophically speaking, why are human's able to understand how things work around them?"

And I'm sure a lot more people, atheist or otherwise, can answer it. It's still a hard question, but answerable nonetheless.
06-06-2011, 08:47 AM
(03-06-2011 11:22 PM)Inexcused Wrote:  What seems to be the difference between humans and any other animal? Is it simply biological make-up or do we have this unique aspect in which we understand where we conceptualize, judge, and argue about the world around us?

One leads to the other. Our biological makeup (i.e., our complex brains) give us a unique ability to conceptualize, judge, and argue about the world around us.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
06-06-2011, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2011 11:01 AM by TrainWreck.)
No - the guy asked for a philosophical answer, and suggesting that biological development gives us the ability to do such things as argue about the world around us is secondary to the social agreement to the standardizations necessary for the communication of ideas so we can argue.

Philosophically, we understand our environment more accurately, because of our developed skills of communications. Just because a person has a brain does not mean they understand anything, it requires the community conveying information for further development - education.
(04-06-2011 01:07 AM)yongkykun Wrote:  The only way the original question can be answered (to some degree) is by eliminating the rest of the question.
It does not make any difference.
Quote:Why can we learn and understand about atom's, and quantum physics?
Because of the development of tools that help us extract the information necessary to compare with previous standards, which is a form of communication. And then putting that information to use in the form of education, which again, is communication.

Quote:Why are we so much more intelligent than animals?
Because of our developed communications. Just because a person has a developed brain of the common human does not mean they understand their environment any better than a rabbit.

Quote: Why are we so different?
Because of our communications.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
06-06-2011, 11:09 AM
(06-06-2011 10:43 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Philosophically, we understand our environment more accurately, because of our developed skills of communications. Just because a person has a brain does not mean they understand anything, it requires the community conveying information for further development - education.

That isn't "philosophically".

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
06-06-2011, 12:12 PM
(06-06-2011 11:09 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(06-06-2011 10:43 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Philosophically, we understand our environment more accurately, because of our developed skills of communications. Just because a person has a brain does not mean they understand anything, it requires the community conveying information for further development - education.

It's helpful when an argument is backed-up with some reasoning.

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
06-06-2011, 01:20 PM
(06-06-2011 12:12 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(06-06-2011 11:09 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  

It's helpful when an argument is backed-up with some reasoning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_linguistics

06-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Well, the Cognitive linguistics article seems to indicate that it is philosophical, because there is no hard evidence supporting it, or against.