Philosophically, why are human's able to understand the world around us?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2011, 03:06 PM
RE: Philosophically, why are human's able to understand the world around us?
(06-06-2011 08:47 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(03-06-2011 11:22 PM)Inexcused Wrote:  What seems to be the difference between humans and any other animal? Is it simply biological make-up or do we have this unique aspect in which we understand where we conceptualize, judge, and argue about the world around us?

One leads to the other. Our biological makeup (i.e., our complex brains) give us a unique ability to conceptualize, judge, and argue about the world around us.

I agree with Unbeliever on this topic of materialism(I'm speaking only for myself here though), but I'd just like to add something here; While I see our advanced abilities to come from our DNA, I don't think that abilities like ours must come from our DNA. Meaning alien life forms could have intelligence like us, or even other Earthly creatures evolving human-life intelligence isn't impossible(just very, very unlikely). So we do have a unique aspect to us that allows us to reason as we do, and it comes from our genetic make-up at the core, but I don't think that you have to biologically human to be considered "human"(self-aware and with high reasoning skills). We just don't have any examples of non-human sentient being.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2011, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2011 01:12 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Don't Bonobo apes have language and self awareness ?
Many articles about them per Google.

Also one of the unique thinks about Homo sapiens may be their "pattern seeking"
need, and ability. They like to observe details about their environment and make generalizations about the details or data elements. When they get the pattern, (equation?) "right", and store the data and the pattern, it leads sometimes to advances/inventions/better tools. Seems the pattern seeking observations occur before the tool making.

Speaking of "pattern seeking".....
Isn't this thread just a restatement of the question of whether the Anthropic Principle is valid ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

20-07-2011, 04:55 PM
(20-07-2011 01:06 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Don't Bonobo apes have language and self awareness ?
Many articles about them per Google.

Also one of the unique thinks about Homo sapiens may be their "pattern seeking"
need, and ability. They like to observe details about their environment and make generalizations about the details or data elements. When they get the pattern, (equation?) "right", and store the data and the pattern, it leads sometimes to advances/inventions/better tools. Seems the pattern seeking observations occur before the tool making.

Speaking of "pattern seeking".....
Isn't this thread just a restatement of the question of whether the Anthropic Principle is valid ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle

http://www.youtube.com/user/richarddawki...lsF83rHKFc

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes NotSoVacuous's post
20-07-2011, 05:46 PM
http://bonobos.purzuit.com/video/_opEeCllL1w.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)