Philosophy: Luciferianism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2011, 03:37 PM

RE: Philosophy: Luciferianism
(30-05-2011 02:01 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  You realize this is an atheist forum, yes?

Talking is about eating babies is like sex with Kobe Bryant: you can struggle and resist all you want... but it's... it's gonna happen.

Om nom nom

-wipes mouth-

Ahem. Now. What got you believing in 'inner energies'/'Magik' ? What convinced you that you could bend reality to your will? From what you said earlier, it sounded as if you were saying that through meditation you could trick your body, much like a placebo drug.

Body: 'Well damn. I got cut.'
You: 'No you didnt.'
Body: 'But...'
You: 'Nope.'
Body: 'Oh I guess I didnt.'

What gives you the conviction of your belief?
Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Question.

Can you shoot lightning bolts from your fingertips after finding your inner energy?

No?

Then this is clearly not the religion for me.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2011, 04:50 PM

(30-05-2011 04:03 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Question.

Can you shoot lightning bolts from your fingertips after finding your inner energy?

No?

Then this is clearly not the religion for me.

The Sith can and they are not a religion either... Dodgy

30-05-2011, 09:22 PM
I don't think you guys are taking this particularly seriously.

There's a reason why reiki sounds alot like the placebo effect.. it's because it is.

Here's the SkepDic entry on reiki. Notice the sentence: "Reiki works as well as any other placebo medicine. It works primarily by the power of suggestion and classical conditioning..."

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
31-05-2011, 12:00 AM
(30-05-2011 09:22 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  I don't think you guys are taking this particularly seriously.

We're not. Anything that can't be objectively tested and relies purely on anecdotal testimonial as its main evidence is placed in the "Skepticism" bin, next to Homeopathy, magnets, crystals, energy flows, tarot cards, palm reading, and chakras.

No amount of "I know this guy who grew back a new head by finding his inner energy flow" stories can convince me to take this seriously.

I AM curious as to how a religion/belief completely devoid of Satan can be called Luciferianism? I didn't really read the whole thread so maybe its been addressed.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
31-05-2011, 01:19 AM

I really cannot take this seriously. Not the claims of healing or placebo healing or inner energies. That is why I decided to change gears and ask him why he had these convictions. Why is it that he feels this is worth living his life by. I don't expect a grand answer, but hopefully something will come up.
31-05-2011, 04:54 AM

Guys, I think you are trying too hard, and perhaps too meanly as well. I also think that you are a tinsy bit biased against Indoril. First things first:

The use of the word Lucifer in the designation of the philosophy.
The word Lucifer is a latin-greek hybrid coming from the Latin word "lux" that means "light" and the Greek word "φέρω" (fero) which means "to bring". Put together, it means "the one who brings the light". This description could be seen biblically as a reference to Satan or idealistically, as literally a person who tries to bring light to the lives of others. In the case of Luciferianism, this light is not the knowledge of metaphysics, of a bearded wanker in the skies or of an unholy book. It's interpersonal support through placebo effect and emotional transference. Saying that Luciferianism is related to Lucifer is as nuts as saying that my username is related to the biblical heaven (celestus = heavenly). Poetry does not necessarily imply religiosity or faith.

The use of the words: "energy, magic and healing"
Admittedly, the words sound spiritual at the very first sight. But you have to understand that they are not. They are just common concepts that had their designations altered for poetic reasons that have almost nothing to do with faith, other than perhaps, a certain degree of the *faith (or hope) in getting better* that is required by the receiving end of the dynamic. If the words still sound spiritual to you, just change energy for mood, magic for placebo and healing for projection.

The validity of the philosophy
No, it cannot be compared to magnets, Magneto, the rest of the x-men, tarot reading, fortune cookie reading, palm reading, or -yikes- homeopathy. There are numerous studies that are not para-psychological but rather scientific that claim that establishing rapport by providing faith to a person in pain (mental or physical), helps him or her alleviate the symptoms and recuperate faster. This is also the very fucking piece of research that has ignited the retarded notion that "prayer has been scientifically proved to help". Apparently, having faith in healing up is one thing and the same with having faith in a bearded wanker and praying to him, to some religious freaks.

PS. Everyone calm down... Undecided

Some disclaimers:
I'm not a luciferianist.
I don't agree with Luciferianism.
Luciferianism is a philosophy, not a religion. Don't try to see it that way so that you can assassinate it more easily.
31-05-2011, 09:21 AM
(31-05-2011 04:54 AM)Celestus87 Wrote:  Guys, I think you are trying too hard, and perhaps too meanly as well. I also think that you are a tinsy bit biased against Indoril. First things first:

The use of the word Lucifer in the designation of the philosophy.
The word Lucifer is a latin-greek hybrid coming from the Latin word "lux" that means "light" and the Greek word "φέρω" (fero) which means "to bring". Put together, it means "the one who brings the light". This description could be seen biblically as a reference to Satan or idealistically, as literally a person who tries to bring light to the lives of others. In the case of Luciferianism, this light is not the knowledge of metaphysics, of a bearded wanker in the skies or of an unholy book. It's interpersonal support through placebo effect and emotional transference. Saying that Luciferianism is related to Lucifer is as nuts as saying that my username is related to the biblical heaven (celestus = heavenly). Poetry does not necessarily imply religiosity or faith.

The use of the words: "energy, magic and healing"
Admittedly, the words sound spiritual at the very first sight. But you have to understand that they are not. They are just common concepts that had their designations altered for poetic reasons that have almost nothing to do with faith, other than perhaps, a certain degree of the *faith (or hope) in getting better* that is required by the receiving end of the dynamic. If the words still sound spiritual to you, just change energy for mood, magic for placebo and healing for projection.

The validity of the philosophy
No, it cannot be compared to magnets, Magneto, the rest of the x-men, tarot reading, fortune cookie reading, palm reading, or -yikes- homeopathy. There are numerous studies that are not para-psychological but rather scientific that claim that establishing rapport by providing faith to a person in pain (mental or physical), helps him or her alleviate the symptoms and recuperate faster. This is also the very fucking piece of research that has ignited the retarded notion that "prayer has been scientifically proved to help". Apparently, having faith in healing up is one thing and the same with having faith in a bearded wanker and praying to him, to some religious freaks.

PS. Everyone calm down... Undecided

Some disclaimers:
I'm not a luciferianist.
I don't agree with Luciferianism.
Luciferianism is a philosophy, not a religion. Don't try to see it that way so that you can assassinate it more easily.

I feel like all this could have been said at the beginning of the thread.

31-05-2011, 10:11 AM
(30-05-2011 04:50 PM)Celestus87 Wrote:  The Sith can and they are not a religion either... Dodgy

If Jedi is a religion then it stands to reason that...

I wonder if there are only 2 adherents though.
31-05-2011, 11:16 AM

(31-05-2011 10:11 AM)LeighJones Wrote:  
(30-05-2011 04:50 PM)Celestus87 Wrote:  The Sith can and they are not a religion either... Dodgy

If Jedi is a religion then it stands to reason that...

I wonder if there are only 2 adherents though.

I hope you are realizing that I'm not taking the SW world out of context to apply our logic on it. It's a different universe with different laws. So...

No, they do not believe in a deity but rather in the force. Since the SW universe actually illustrates the use of the force and its manifestation in reality, the whole concept leans far more towards reality/science rather than faith in something. If anything, the Jedi/Sith schism is a philosophical one that argues on the correct and appropriate use of the force.

They do not expect the force to do anything that is non-scientific to them. They do not pray to the force. They do not worship the force. The don't expect miracles from the force. To them, the force is an extra limb that are taught to use, not divine intervention. Ofc, there are exceptions to all those, but they do not convey the mainstream opinion.

Sleepy

PS. I was trying to make a joke, not a point.