Photo of cop praying with a woman

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2016, 09:45 PM
RE: Photo of cop praying with a woman
(11-07-2016 12:56 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  So there is this photo of a cop praying while on duty with a woman.

Is this a violation of the First Amendment or am I just super sensitive?

I have more to this but want to solicit opinions first.

This photo?

[Image: 3627171B00000578-3684161-image-a-33_1468227437813.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2016, 09:47 PM
(11-07-2016 08:57 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Ok, but if we flip this and say a local zoning meeting in Dallas decided to pray to console a member on the committee who lost a family member in the shooting, do you feel the same way? Just curious where we draw the line.

Honestly, in that context, yes. As long as said member is drawing comfort for a terrible tragedy I could give a shit where and when it happens and by whom.

That's completely different than opening every monthly meeting with a christian prayer, which I would disagree with.

This world is not black and white, and as much as I feel that religion is poisonous I don't believe that fighting it at every level is necessary or productive.

The "don't be a dick" rule would apply here, methinks.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like evenheathen's post
11-07-2016, 10:21 PM
(11-07-2016 09:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 12:56 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  So there is this photo of a cop praying while on duty with a woman.

This photo?

Yes

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
11-07-2016, 10:40 PM
(11-07-2016 10:21 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 09:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  This photo?

Yes

I've read in the bible that it's the correct procedure to offer prayers before the ritual sacrifice.

I wonder if he read her her right to go up and down upon the mountains, and bewail her virginity?

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
11-07-2016, 10:46 PM

No, nothing wrong with it. Would you feel differently if the cop in the photo was an atheist, and woman asked him to pray with her and he was just being polite?

(11-07-2016 08:57 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Ok, but if we flip this and say a local zoning meeting in Dallas decided to pray to console a member on the committee who lost a family member in the shooting, do you feel the same way? Just curious where we draw the line.

No, I've got absolutely no issue with people being comforted in times of crisis.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-07-2016, 10:56 PM
I appreciate the sentiments here, but I'm asking from a legal standpoint, does this violate the First Amendment?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
11-07-2016, 11:05 PM
(11-07-2016 10:56 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I appreciate the sentiments here, but I'm asking from a legal standpoint, does this violate the First Amendment?

Not from the photo, they appear to be individuals and doing this on their own.

It's not an endorsement of a specific religion by the police officer. Did he force the woman to pray? Did he demand to preach to her?

Why would you think it was against the first amendment?

He's not a public official making a YouTube video about Jesus rising from the dead on Easter, and recording it with police equipment, posting it on the official police fb page.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-07-2016, 11:47 PM
(11-07-2016 10:56 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I appreciate the sentiments here, but I'm asking from a legal standpoint, does this violate the First Amendment?

Exactly how could such a photo violate the First Amendment - unless the cop forced her to pray, no I see nothing wrong here.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
12-07-2016, 10:34 PM
He is a government official, actually, and this was a traffic stop. He is on duty, therefore taxpayer money is paying him to do his job at that moment, meaning he should not be performing any religious act.

----
12-07-2016, 10:55 PM
(12-07-2016 10:34 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  He is a government official, actually, and this was a traffic stop. He is on duty, therefore taxpayer money is paying him to do his job at that moment, meaning he should not be performing any religious act.

Should we garnish is wages for the few minutes of prayer?

Unless he forced someone to pray the establishment clause doesn't apply because while he's a cop, he's not endorsing a religion or forcing people to pray. Now if he said pray with me, and I won't give you a ticket, then you might be able to make a case for promotion of religion. But how do you know it was even his idea? What if she wanted to pray and he joined her?

He also is also guaranteed the freedom of religion also. The government cannot establish their own religion and they can't prevent others from practicing their religion.

Even when POTUS says 'god bless America' as much as I cringe... It's not illegal or a violation of the establishment clause.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post