Photo of cop praying with a woman

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2016, 12:45 PM
RE: Photo of cop praying with a woman
Are we sure they are praying? Like is there audio or video where someone has lip-read prayer...or are they standing there in a time of distress extending human compassion and touch?

Just curious.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2016, 12:47 PM
(13-07-2016 12:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Are we sure they are praying? Like is there audio or video where someone has lip-read prayer...or are they standing there in a time of distress extending human compassion and touch?

Just curious.

That's what I call prayer.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
13-07-2016, 12:50 PM
(13-07-2016 12:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Are we sure they are praying? Like is there audio or video where someone has lip-read prayer...or are they standing there in a time of distress extending human compassion and touch?

Just curious.

I'm pretty sure the person who took the photo was the passenger in the car and posted the photo explaining that they were praying.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-07-2016, 12:52 PM
(13-07-2016 12:41 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  OK, so if the cop initiated it then it's wrong, but if someone else initiates it, it's all right. Hmmm, ok. I guess I would argue this was interfering with him doing his job, but that could just be nitty. Thanks Girly.

An on-duty officer initiating a prayer request would be questionable since he'd be (at least implicitly) using the authority of his position to push a religious belief.

If somebody he is dealing with requests that he pray with them I don't see a problem as long as it isn't interfering with his immediate duties. If she asked for a hug or for his help in some other way I would see no objection to his going a little out of his way to assist her. If praying helped her then I don't see it as much different and it might help calm a situation.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
13-07-2016, 12:56 PM
(13-07-2016 12:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Just curious.

That's what I call prayer.

I get what you are saying there Girly.

I was just thinking...

Your honor they were praying.
- Are you sure they were praying?
Well, it looked like they were praying.
- dismissed

alternately
Well, the passenger in the car said they were praying.
- hearsay, dismissed

If the issue is were they saying a Christian (or insert religion here) prayer or were they sharing words of comfort as shown by Girly to be a type of generic prayer...I would have to say this isn't something that can be legislated.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

13-07-2016, 12:59 PM
(13-07-2016 12:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(13-07-2016 12:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's what I call prayer.

I get what you are saying there Girly.

I was just thinking...

- dismissed

alternately
- hearsay, dismissed

If the issue is were they saying a Christian (or insert religion here) prayer or were they sharing words of comfort as shown by Girly to be a type of generic prayer...I would have to say this isn't something that can be legislated.

Except they would call the passenger to the stand and then it would be a witness. No?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
13-07-2016, 01:03 PM
(12-07-2016 11:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(12-07-2016 11:27 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I'm still trying to work out the second amendment. HoboSadcryfaceBlink

That one is about #BlackLivesMatter being allowed the right to form a well-regulated militia to protect themselves against the evil oligarchy and its trigger-happy paramilitary.

Angel

Why, yes - that is one of the things it's about.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
13-07-2016, 01:03 PM
(13-07-2016 12:59 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(13-07-2016 12:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I get what you are saying there Girly.

I was just thinking...

- dismissed

alternately
- hearsay, dismissed

Except they would call the passenger to the stand and then it would be a witness. No?

Eyewitnesses are notoriously bad as evidence.

Just because they labeled a photo as such doesn't make it so.

13-07-2016, 01:04 PM

Just curious.

Maybe they're hooking up. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
13-07-2016, 01:06 PM
(13-07-2016 01:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Just curious.

Maybe they're hooking up. Consider

It does sort of look like a proposal. Yes