Photography

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
13-03-2013, 08:19 AM
RE: Photography
(13-03-2013 08:12 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Great photos!
I wish I had the skill and the eye some of you have.
It shocks me when I actually get a really good picture, kind of crappy since I inherited dad's cameras and I can't do them justice. I have all kinds of photography stuff that sits and mocks me. Damnit.
What camera do you have?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Wah, thanks! I did not suffer from agony in vain then!

Quote: I'd go crazy with either too few daylight hours or too many, I am a child of the Tropics.
Aw, lucky! Tropical areas have some of the most amazing sceneries (not to mention one need not wear woolsocks to keep warm). I'm heading to Maharashtra, India now soon to meet my man and in-laws, so am hoping to get some new photos. I love the traffic in India, so many things to photograph!

And the light changes--they're easy to live with really because they happen so slowly so one has time to adjust.
- Though it does leave me gutted sometimes when sun comes up at 9 am and is already down by 3pm!

“A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings intentionally.”
- Oscar Wilde
13-03-2013, 08:37 AM
I have dad's Canon EOS cameras, one film and one digital. Various lenses and things I can't identify...I think I even have a tripod somewhere.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
13-03-2013, 09:35 AM
(13-03-2013 08:37 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I have dad's Canon EOS cameras, one film and one digital. Various lenses and things I can't identify...I think I even have a tripod somewhere.
You say you're shocked to get a good picture - I doubt that, am sure they're good Smile On what area do you feel you have a problem? positioning of things within the frame, lightning, zoom? I use a Canon 1000D EOS myself and I found it very tricky with dark photography so if you have a issue with that then my help is of no use Big Grin

- Oscar Wilde
13-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Thanks! I really need to give them more attention...I should learn how to use the equipment I have.
Dad said I needed a 'Phd' camera...as in Push Here Dummy...not sure why he thought I was the one that should get his photography gear. No

13-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Oh yeah, I think framing a photo is a problem for me. I have a couple I really like...I took one of the flowers at the back of our house through the fountain in the pool. It's a cool picture but there was a lot of room for error and cropping.
I also need to stop trying to take the expected photo and go with different angles and perspectives.

13-03-2013, 10:08 AM
When you're taking a photo, think of what are you thinking.
If you want to capture a flower, make sure it is not in the precise center of the photo (makes it appear more interesting) and then just try position the frame so that the flower looks as "pretty" as it can to you. You can try zooming in the flower in a couple different ways, too. I am not very skilled with plant or closeup-photography, I rarely attempt anything.. this is what I could come up with:

[Image: 184129_10150750490610313_1163861_n.jpg]

Or if you're capturing a scenery or a sunset, you could try make the scenery appear as nice as it is only possible within the frame when you're still looking through the lens. I personally find any infrastructure disturbing. Also, sceneries should have at least one (and not more than 3) main detail that makes it 'interesting'. This can be a tree branch or a tree, a bush, a rock, a bird...

That's how I roll - but if you feel you need more 'solid' things to work on to get started, you could take a look at the classical Greek 'golden ratio' (if you're not yet familiar with it!) and see what you can work out of it. Just google 'golden ratio photography' and you'll get a idea. Smile

- Oscar Wilde
13-03-2013, 10:59 AM
(13-03-2013 08:37 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I have dad's Canon EOS cameras, one film and one digital. Various lenses and things I can't identify...I think I even have a tripod somewhere.
OK then, I shoot Canon as well and may be able to help. Since I don't know how much you know I'll just write down some basic things that could help your photography.

Composition:
It is just as important what you include in the frame as what you EXCLUDE. When you compose an image take a look at what is in the foreground and background.
Don't cut your subject off at the knees...

more to come...visitors arrived

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
13-03-2013, 05:41 PM
I have no idea what kind of plant this is, it's right outside out kitchen and some years it's loaded with blossoms. I was sitting by the pool one day listening to the fountain and looking at the plant through the spray. I grabbed a camera (not a good one just a simple point and shoot) and took about 4 shots. I had this one cropped and have it on my debit card. Since it wasn't a great camera you don't have the kind of detail in catching the droplets, but I still like this one.[Image: P1010143_zps3b75b9cf.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
15-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Loving all the new shots that are posted.

I dipped my camera in my favorite local creek last Saturday. I figured what the hell. The creek was already full of fly fishermen. My first underwater shots of the year. And this is barely dipping the end of the camera under water. I barely even got my hand wet.

[Image: P1840871-M.jpg]

[Image: P1840879-M.jpg]

[Image: P1840886-M.jpg]

I'm so excited for Spring.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes smidgen's post