Photography

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
25-02-2013, 12:36 AM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2013 12:40 AM by WeAreTheCosmos.)
RE: Photography
Got my first decent camera last week. Sony Nex-6, cheap Sigma 19mm 2.8 lens. Still don't know wtf I'm doing, but here are a few from my trip to Ottawa this weekend, and some random ones from just playing with it the first few days.

[Image: 7ZkqTJ5.jpg]
[Image: sROzCEz.jpg]
[Image: WijN8cy.jpg]
[Image: 73Co5ow.jpg]
[Image: Qzb3oZx.jpg]

That last one was taken just looking out my window... in the city. I can only see maybe 20 stars with my eyes, on a good night.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
25-02-2013, 10:54 AM
(25-02-2013 12:36 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Got my first decent camera last week. Sony Nex-6, cheap Sigma 19mm 2.8 lens. Still don't know wtf I'm doing, but here are a few from my trip to Ottawa this weekend, and some random ones from just playing with it the first few days.

That last one was taken just looking out my window... in the city. I can only see maybe 20 stars with my eyes, on a good night.
I'd give anything for a good camera. Sadly I'm stuck with my phone for now Sad

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
25-02-2013, 10:58 AM
(25-02-2013 10:54 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(25-02-2013 12:36 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Got my first decent camera last week. Sony Nex-6, cheap Sigma 19mm 2.8 lens. Still don't know wtf I'm doing, but here are a few from my trip to Ottawa this weekend, and some random ones from just playing with it the first few days.

Anything? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Me, taken by my brother, kayaking on Potomac River.
[Image: ACB_2429a700.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-02-2013, 11:23 AM
(25-02-2013 10:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-02-2013 10:54 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'd give anything for a good camera. Sadly I'm stuck with my phone for now Sad

Anything? Consider
Almost anything Tongue I've wanted a good camera for such a long time. Sadly I have to pay bills. The curse of living alone. Being responsible sucks sometimes.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
25-02-2013, 05:45 PM
(24-02-2013 10:52 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(24-02-2013 01:38 PM)smidgen Wrote:  Very different ones for sure.

This is the camera I use. It's great for hiking. I don't have to worry about breaking it on the trail
And it takes good pictures. It's great for mountain streams, lakes and rivers. Or just swimming in
the pool. The line I hear most often is you took those pictures with that little thing.
It's the person behind the camera that makes the shot.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-TS4A
It is true that great things can happen with any type of instrument. Playing with coffee filters is fun and I've used tin foil taped to a bin lid as a reflector, ha ha.

Also, breaking the rules is sometimes the most necessary thing Thumbsup

I am a FREAK about needing to control the aperture, and I tend to hover around the 2.8 mark. It's great for portraiture, but I am going to have to work sooo hard to change that mental frame of mind to play more. This year I am branching out just for the fact that I am in a rut and need more play and discovery. If I discover my niche or style in landscape/urbanscape more perhaps I can fuse the two together (portraiture).

Anyway, I have had someone bug me about doing underwater mermaid shots (of them dressed up, apparently there is a whole world of these people out there, haha) and I have no experience with underwater photography.
All I do is play. That's what makes it fun. I'm out on the trail and I just point the camera at anything that looks cool. I have never had nor do I know how to use a 35 mm camera. But I bet I've had just about every type of point and click of the past 35 years. So when it comes to the setting that are on my camera it's a combination of play and advice from my shooter friend. Of course he has a camera with a lens that looks more like a freakin telescope then a camera. lol

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
25-02-2013, 05:48 PM
(25-02-2013 11:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  Me, taken by my brother, kayaking on Potomac River.
[Image: ACB_2429a700.jpg]
The Potomac, awesome.

25-02-2013, 05:50 PM
(25-02-2013 10:54 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  

My first digital camera was my phone four years ago. You will get there.

Oh, great shots Cosmos.

25-02-2013, 05:51 PM
(24-02-2013 11:11 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Andean Condor

This bird will probably outlive me, they can live up to around 100 years old. They can have a wingspan of up to 10.2ft.

[Image: birdseyeview_zps534576b9.jpg]
I love it. So cool.

25-02-2013, 05:53 PM
(24-02-2013 10:55 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(24-02-2013 01:24 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  What camera bodies do you guys use for underwater photography?
I have a Canon EOS 5D Mark II and a Canon EOS 50D, they go inside Ikelite housings and then I use Ikelite substrobes to light up the underwater world!
Turtle... drooling with jealousy. Tongue For those that don't know I love sea turtles.