[Image: P1700888-M.jpg]

[Image: P1700849-M.jpg]

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like smidgen's post
25-02-2013, 06:16 PM
RE: Photography
The only thing that frustrates me sometimes is lighting the underside of my mushrooms.
Full force flash will totally over expose a white mushroom. My friend friend suggested tissue paper
but not really a good idea for hiking. He talks about reflective materials as well.
So far what seems to work best is covering up half of the flash with either my finger or a leaf. lol
I did just get a two setting head lamp. I'm gonna try that out when the spring mushrooms come up.
Anybody have any simple, lightweight suggestions.

25-02-2013, 06:27 PM
(25-02-2013 06:16 PM)smidgen Wrote:  The only thing that frustrates me sometimes is lighting the underside of my mushrooms.
Full force flash will totally over expose a white mushroom. My friend friend suggested tissue paper
but not really a good idea for hiking. He talks about reflective materials as well.
So far what seems to work best is covering up half of the flash with either my finger or a leaf. lol
I did just get a two setting head lamp. I'm gonna try that out when the spring mushrooms come up.

Cut out a piece of plastic milk bottle (the translucent type) and tape it (or just hold it) in front of the flash. That will soften it. You can even use 2 or 3 layers for more softening.

I really like your mushroom shots.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-02-2013, 06:34 PM
(25-02-2013 06:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-02-2013 06:16 PM)smidgen Wrote:  The only thing that frustrates me sometimes is lighting the underside of my mushrooms.

Cut out a piece of plastic milk bottle (the translucent type) and tape it (or just hold it) in front of the flash. That will soften it. You can even use 2 or 3 layers for more softening.

I really like your mushroom shots.
Thank you, I will give that one a try. Lightweight but sturdy.

Thank you again. I don't know what it is about them. When I started hiking four years ago something
just drew me to them. Maybe it's because they are different like me. So many shapes sizes and
colors. They are quite beautiful. Just don't ask me to eat them. Tongue

25-02-2013, 07:36 PM
This is my friend doing what he does best, shooting eagles at the Conowingo dam.
I'm afraid to even touch his camera. I would break something like that so fast.

[Image: i-vBcSpCC-M.jpg]

25-02-2013, 09:12 PM
I'd like to improve my shots, but the lenses I have are definitely holding me back. The 16-50mm sony lens that came with the camera is SO soft everywhere outside a small central focal point, I'm throwin' it up on Kijiji asap. And the while Sigma 19mm is sharper... its pretty cheap ($150, plastic housing) and limited in its uses... not great bokeh, and its minimum distance is like 9"+

I really need a nice macro lens
and maybe something in the 55-70mm range
Unfortunately, the sony E-mount has a limited lens line-up.
25-02-2013, 09:30 PM
I have no help for you but I know others will.

I think I'll just hide out here with the pretty and relaxed stuff.
Too many people taking life way to serious around here.
I just want to have fun and take pictures. Big Grin

25-02-2013, 09:55 PM
(25-02-2013 09:12 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I'd like to improve my shots, but the lenses I have are definitely holding me back. The 16-50mm sony lens that came with the camera is SO soft everywhere outside a small central focal point, I'm throwin' it up on Kijiji asap. And the while Sigma 19mm is sharper... its pretty cheap ($150, plastic housing) and limited in its uses... not great bokeh, and its minimum distance is like 9"+

I really need a nice macro lens
and maybe something in the 55-70mm range
Unfortunately, the sony E-mount has a limited lens line-up.
The Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 is well reviewed.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-02-2013, 10:20 PM
(24-02-2013 11:08 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(24-02-2013 10:59 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  LJ, I created a course to teach SLR underwater photography. I'd be happy to give you some tips if you'd like.
Awesome! I'll take a look around, this isn't something I'd look at for a couple months but I'm sure I'll have questions.

How did you get into underwater photography?
I've had a fascination with photography all my life and I've been in love with the sea since I can remember.
I bought a used Nikonos thirty years ago (damn I must be old), about 5 years after I began SCUBA diving. I'm still like a little kid when I jump into the water with my camera, life is everywhere, both the beautiful and the weird.

[attachment=1155][attachment=1156]

1) Shy Hamlets mating 2) Shortnose Batfish

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
25-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Chas' idea is a good one. You can also try building a "snoot". Take a piece of construction paper (any white paper will do really) and roll it into the shape of a cone. Place the wider opening towards your flash and the narrow opening towards your subject. You can experiment with different lengths. This is very effective when you want to direct your light source and limit intensity.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption