Photography

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
25-02-2013, 10:36 PM
RE: Photography
(25-02-2013 11:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  Me, taken by my brother, kayaking on Potomac River.
[Image: ACB_2429a700.jpg]

This should be your avatar

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2013, 10:41 PM
(25-02-2013 05:53 PM)smidgen Wrote:  
(24-02-2013 10:55 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I have a Canon EOS 5D Mark II and a Canon EOS 50D, they go inside Ikelite housings and then I use Ikelite substrobes to light up the underwater world!
Turtle... drooling with jealousy. Tongue For those that don't know I love sea turtles.
Drooling Thumbsup

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
26-02-2013, 10:59 AM
(25-02-2013 06:16 PM)smidgen Wrote:  The only thing that frustrates me sometimes is lighting the underside of my mushrooms.
Full force flash will totally over expose a white mushroom. My friend friend suggested tissue paper
but not really a good idea for hiking. He talks about reflective materials as well.
So far what seems to work best is covering up half of the flash with either my finger or a leaf. lol
I did just get a two setting head lamp. I'm gonna try that out when the spring mushrooms come up.
Anybody have any simple, lightweight suggestions.
How did you light the mushrooms above? The middle one is beautifully lit. Basically your light is too dark or too direct do you need to either reflect the light from around or diffuse the harsh light. I like Chas' idea because that's something that won't disintegrate in your back pack when you're hiking. Do you carry tissue paper (like kleenex) around? You could try holding some over the flash. There are tons of sites with all kind of different diffusers to chose from. You could also reflect with something like a pocket/makeup mirror if you carry one of those? Shiny coffee mug or tin plate? lol. It's be fun to experiment with what you carry on you. Big Grin

My friend gets super excited for mushroom like you, she squeals, jumps and dances when she finds them. It's boggy and swamp around where I live, so there are many many different kinds.

(25-02-2013 09:12 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I'd like to improve my shots, but the lenses I have are definitely holding me back. The 16-50mm sony lens that came with the camera is SO soft everywhere outside a small central focal point, I'm throwin' it up on Kijiji asap. And the while Sigma 19mm is sharper... its pretty cheap ($150, plastic housing) and limited in its uses... not great bokeh, and its minimum distance is like 9"+

I really need a nice macro lens
and maybe something in the 55-70mm range
Unfortunately, the sony E-mount has a limited lens line-up.
Before you sell anything, check what lens are capable of supporting a close-up lens. They work like a filter, you screw them on the end of your lens. Of course they are not like the macro lens that range into the hundreds and thousands of dollars, but if you're just starting your lens collection or are maybe going to switch to a camera body that supports more lens, then these close up lens are perfect for dabbling in macro photography. The ones I got were about $40 I believe, and they can stack for different magnifications, I screw mine onto my cheap-o 18-55mm lens. I bought both Hoya and Sigma brands. They don't work with portraiture lens (fixed focal lengths).

Here is an example:

http://photography.timtrott.co.uk/closeu...acro-lens/
26-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Well I just bought this camera so I'll be sticking with it for a few years. Its really portable. I keep noticing other people walking around with huge DSLRs and in comparison its like they've got cinder blocks tied to their necks. I'm thinking of potentially picking up the 18-200mm lens Chas suggested. Might not be a macro lens. But I think it should be pretty versatile.
26-02-2013, 03:22 PM
(25-02-2013 10:20 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(24-02-2013 11:08 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Awesome! I'll take a look around, this isn't something I'd look at for a couple months but I'm sure I'll have questions.

How did you get into underwater photography?
I've had a fascination with photography all my life and I've been in love with the sea since I can remember.
I bought a used Nikonos thirty years ago (damn I must be old), about 5 years after I began SCUBA diving. I'm still like a little kid when I jump into the water with my camera, life is everywhere, both the beautiful and the weird.

1) Shy Hamlets mating 2) Shortnose Batfish
I always wanted to scuba dive but I'm epileptic. The one time that I had the chance on a cruise
about 20 years ago I was crushed when they told me I couldn't. But they were right.
If I would have had a seizure and cut off my air supply I would have died. Undecided
But I found new meds and haven't had one in 12 years. Or does that not make a difference.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
26-02-2013, 03:35 PM
(26-02-2013 10:59 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(25-02-2013 06:16 PM)smidgen Wrote:  The only thing that frustrates me sometimes is lighting the underside of my mushrooms.
Full force flash will totally over expose a white mushroom. My friend friend suggested tissue paper
but not really a good idea for hiking. He talks about reflective materials as well.
So far what seems to work best is covering up half of the flash with either my finger or a leaf. lol
I did just get a two setting head lamp. I'm gonna try that out when the spring mushrooms come up.
Anybody have any simple, lightweight suggestions.
How did you light the mushrooms above? The middle one is beautifully lit. Basically your light is too dark or too direct do you need to either reflect the light from around or diffuse the harsh light. I like Chas' idea because that's something that won't disintegrate in your back pack when you're hiking. Do you carry tissue paper (like kleenex) around? You could try holding some over the flash. There are tons of sites with all kind of different diffusers to chose from. You could also reflect with something like a pocket/makeup mirror if you carry one of those? Shiny coffee mug or tin plate? lol. It's be fun to experiment with what you carry on you. Big Grin

My friend gets super excited for mushroom like you, she squeals, jumps and dances when she finds them. It's boggy and swamp around where I live, so there are many many different kinds.
I always have tp in my pack. LOL

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I saw dead mans fingers, common name, for
the first time this past summer. I got very excited. But I did not get
one really good shot. I think I was shaking with excitement.

Dead mans fingers

[Image: P1420994-M.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes smidgen's post
26-02-2013, 04:26 PM
(26-02-2013 03:22 PM)smidgen Wrote:  
(25-02-2013 10:20 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I've had a fascination with photography all my life and I've been in love with the sea since I can remember.
I bought a used Nikonos thirty years ago (damn I must be old), about 5 years after I began SCUBA diving. I'm still like a little kid when I jump into the water with my camera, life is everywhere, both the beautiful and the weird.

1) Shy Hamlets mating 2) Shortnose Batfish
I always wanted to scuba dive but I'm epileptic. The one time that I had the chance on a cruise
about 20 years ago I was crushed when they told me I couldn't. But they were right.
If I would have had a seizure and cut off my air supply I would have died. Undecided
But I found new meds and haven't had one in 12 years. Or does that not make a difference.

If you came to me to be certified in SCUBA and you filled in the medical questionnaire truthfully I would need a medical release signed by your physician clearing you to dive.
That's the only way I'd agree but then why risk it? Underwater there aren't many second chances.

28-02-2013, 09:15 PM
(26-02-2013 04:26 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(26-02-2013 03:22 PM)smidgen Wrote:  I always wanted to scuba dive but I'm epileptic. The one time that I had the chance on a cruise

If you came to me to be certified in SCUBA and you filled in the medical questionnaire truthfully I would need a medical release signed by your physician clearing you to dive.
That's the only way I'd agree but then why risk it? Underwater there aren't many second chances.
Yeah I know. I wasn't even able to get my drivers licenses till I was 24. Sucked big time.
Thanks for the info.

28-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Spring will be here real soon. I can't wait to see the May Apples start popping up.

[Image: P1010860-M.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like smidgen's post
28-02-2013, 10:05 PM
(28-02-2013 09:20 PM)smidgen Wrote:  Spring will be here real soon. I can't wait to see the May Apples start popping up.

[Image: P1010860-M.jpg]
I really like your perspectives!