Phrased to annoy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2014, 12:31 PM
RE: Phrased to annoy
"beautiful inside and out."

I frequently see women using this phrase in comments on other women's pictures in Facebook. The impression I get is that the phrase is used because it's taboo or not politically correct to praise physical attractiveness, so they feel pressured to compliment intangible traits as well.

My take on it is that if you want to compliment someone for being physically attractive, just say it. If you want to praise their character, use language that refers to character traits - don't rely on the "beautiful on the inside" cliche.

I think another reason it irritates me is that no one ever says that about men. If a guy is good looking, people will just tell him he's handsome - no "you're so handsome, inside and out" bullshit.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2014, 07:53 PM
insh'allah.
It literally means "god willing", in practice it means you've got no f-ing chance as in:
When will this website/car/plumbing/etc. issue be fixed?
Bucra (tomorrow) insh'allah.

Forget it, whatever it is. It's not happening and the person you're asking doesn't give a crap.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
19-09-2014, 09:00 PM
How annoying