Phuck the English language.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 10:49 PM
RE: Phuck the English language.
(07-05-2014 10:16 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  PHUCK THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ALL OF IT'S STUPID RULES!
PHUCK THE METAPHORS. PHUCK THE PRONOUNS! PHUCK THE ARBITRARY ILLOGICAL RULES! (I'M NOT SAYING FUCK SO I CAN JUST MAKE FUN OF IT.) PHUCK SPELLING, PHUCK IT ALL!
Also, yes, I know.
Insert "CapsLockLol" image.

[Image: 3079877360_0e69015f82.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2014, 11:14 PM
(07-05-2014 09:11 PM)cjlr Wrote:  English lacks grammatical case and gender beyond some pronouns and possessives, has dropped most verbal inflection, and an uses orthography which settled long before modern pronunciation. And yet, it has has one of the most complicated tense-conjugation systems going, and an incomparably rich vocabulary.

S'just different. That's all.

English might be convoluted, but at least we don't give inanimate objects genders.

... Aside from those weird people who decide their car is a 'she' as opposed to an it... But that's an insanity thing, not an English thing.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
07-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Don't bitch until you tried to master german as a foreign language Tongue

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
[+] 1 user Likes Thammuz's post
08-05-2014, 12:02 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2014 12:09 AM by Dee.)
(07-05-2014 09:11 PM)cjlr Wrote:  English lacks grammatical case and gender beyond some pronouns and possessives, has dropped most verbal inflection, and an uses orthography which settled long before modern pronunciation. And yet, it has has one of the most complicated tense-conjugation systems going, and an incomparably rich vocabulary.

S'just different. That's all.

Gasp WHAT!

I need reading glasses.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
08-05-2014, 01:21 AM
(07-05-2014 09:11 PM)cjlr Wrote:  And yet, it has has one of the most complicated tense-conjugation systems going, and an incomparably rich vocabulary.

How is conjugation complicated in English? Kids here master it at the age of 15, but I don't see anyone finding it easier in French, Spanish, German, Greek, in fact every other language that still has complicated suffixes for changes in person or mood.

Incomparably rich vocabulary? That's probably because half of the words are not even English Drinking Beverage

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
08-05-2014, 01:35 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2014 02:21 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(08-05-2014 01:21 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Incomparably rich vocabulary? That's probably because half of the words are not even English Drinking Beverage

English is a vocabulary kleptomaniac.Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
08-05-2014, 04:23 AM
For the occasion Popcorn

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
08-05-2014, 07:36 AM
(08-05-2014 01:21 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 09:11 PM)cjlr Wrote:  And yet, it has has one of the most complicated tense-conjugation systems going, and an incomparably rich vocabulary.

How is conjugation complicated in English? Kids here master it at the age of 15, but I don't see anyone finding it easier in French, Spanish, German, Greek, in fact every other language that still has complicated suffixes for changes in person or mood.

I did not say the conjugation mechanic itself was complicated; inflection is minimal, as I noted. I was referring to the variety in tense, aspect, mood, and voice, which is indeed very great in English (and mostly periphrastic, since the rest of the distinctions have atrophied).

Very few languages come close to that variety; but it's all European languages which obsess over time anyway, so the ones you mention are similar. Compare, say, Arabic, with fewer forms, or Chinese, with way fewer forms (but those languages have their own fun qualities - fuck tonal languages, I say).

(08-05-2014 01:21 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Incomparably rich vocabulary? That's probably because half of the words are not even English Drinking Beverage

All English words are English.

What are Anglo-Saxon are the fundamentals, but we're not too proud to borrow from our Norman overlords. How many words did you guys keep from Turkish? Tongue

Sure, technical vocabulary is all Latin with a touch of Greek, but everyone's got prestige languages to borrow fancy words from, so that's no different. Though, English itself now sometimes serves such a role, which is ironic.

... this is my signature!
08-05-2014, 10:58 AM
(08-05-2014 07:36 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I did not say the conjugation mechanic itself was complicated; inflection is minimal, as I noted. I was referring to the variety in tense, aspect, mood, and voice, which is indeed very great in English (and mostly periphrastic, since the rest of the distinctions have atrophied).

Very few languages come close to that variety; but it's all European languages which obsess over time anyway, so the ones you mention are similar. Compare, say, Arabic, with fewer forms, or Chinese, with way fewer forms (but those languages have their own fun qualities - fuck tonal languages, I say).

All European languages have a similar structure (which is only natural) and that's why I mentioned them. Apart from English and Greek, I have studied Ancient Greek, Latin, French, Spanish and Japanese, and (with the exception of Japanese) they are very close to English variety-wise.

Ok, there is a variety alright, but only in structure, not in meaning. For example, the Present Perfect Progressive tense can simply be substituted with just Present in Greek, because the time expressions alone can evoke the meaning that English needs a whole tense for. The kids I teach often find it hard to distinguish between the tenses, and quite reasonably, they ask me things like "why not just use Present then?"

(08-05-2014 07:36 AM)cjlr Wrote:  All English words are English.

What are Anglo-Saxon are the fundamentals, but we're not too proud to borrow from our Norman overlords. How many words did you guys keep from Turkish? Tongue

Yeap, English words are English words, no matter where they come from. It's just that my inner linguist can't really appreciate the rich vocabulary when 80% of it is borrowed (and that's probably because I'm Greek and there's nothing you can't say or explain in Greek with sufficient clarity Tongue ).
I also have to admit that I'm biased, as I hate how you guys butchered Greek. I don't understand what the problem is with pronouncing the "p" is "psychology" or "pneumonia". It is right there dammit! Laugh out load

Oh and, yeah, we kept many Turkish words, but Greek is perhaps 80% Ancient Greek, 18% Turkish and 2% everything else.

On a slightly irrelevant note, here's a dictionary of cool made up words.

The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
08-05-2014, 11:09 AM

They are now. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post