Physical scar from suicide attempt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Physical scar from suicide attempt
As many of you know, I've had a rough time. Last year, I had attempted suicide. I was very nearly successful. I had 14 stitches on the outside and not sure how many deeper in.

As you can well imagine, this has left a significant scar.

I know there are many people who have thought of suicide and have even come close to it or at least toyed with it. Most, however, are able to keep their secret more easily.

A horrendous scar on my arm is something that comes with a stigma. I have arthritis in my wrist as well, so this gives me a valid excuse to wrap it, especially since I was wrapping it before to begin with for that reason. But sometimes I forget to wrap it. I have to be really careful. If someone sees it, I'm afraid they'll become alarmed and I don't need that and neither do they. I'm glad I wasn't successful, but this is kinda rough. Plus, sometimes I see it and start getting flashbacks...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2014, 07:43 PM
RE: Physical scar from suicide attempt
I have contemplated suicide in the past on a couple of occasions. There are times in almost every individuals life where the thought of just ending it all arises. The only thing that prevented me from going through with it was realizing that while yes it would end my pain it would bring heartache and pain to those that I love and love me in return and the thought of that sickened me. Don't hide your pain for your pain is who you are! Don't let your pain control you! People will question your pain but the only ones to likely not understand are those that have never felt true pain.

You are with friends and family now and we love you pain and all!Heart

Crulax

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
[+] 2 users Like Crulax's post
20-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Maybe ask the docs in the medical advice thread how best to make it less prominent?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
20-03-2014, 08:22 PM
If you get comfortable with the idea of your suicide attempt not being a secrete, your problem goes away.
[+] 4 users Like Heywood Jahblome's post
20-03-2014, 08:32 PM
(20-03-2014 07:22 PM)Charis Wrote:  As many of you know, I've had a rough time. Last year, I had attempted suicide. I was very nearly successful. I had 14 stitches on the outside and not sure how many deeper in.

There was this interesting experiment. Two groups of people were called in to play a computer game beating little monsters. Then they were asked the same unexpected question "how many little monsters have you beaten ? "

The group of people who were chronically involuntarily in bad mood were relatively pretty accurate on their answers, generally within a range of error of 20%.

And the group of people, as control, who were also sad at times but more resilient, gave an answer normally 10 - 20 times more. Smile

So while you have been an excellent observer with precision on some subjects, you can sometimes have the fun of not being that exact, getting relaxed on these issues and focusing on other aspects for a change.

What do you think ?

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 3 users Like HU.Junyuan's post
20-03-2014, 08:38 PM
I am sorry to hear you went through such a bad time.

Every thought of a tattoo to cover it? I am still searching for something to put over my mastectomy scars. Of course, you would want to check around and make sure that who you find to do it has experience with scarred skin. If it can't be covered completely, you might be able to work something alongside it to divert the eye. A good tattooist will have ideas.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
20-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Having flash backs at the sight of your scar worries me, dear Hug Are you seeing a therapist to help you deal with the issues that lead up to your suicide attempt? It could be crucial to helping you move on with your life. Sometimes we think we are over all the stuff that drags us to despair, only to realize it is still having a negative affect on daily life. I don't want this for you Sad Hug

As for other people seeing your scar, if you are able to be comfortable with it (knowing it is a part of your past, something you've dealt with, and aren't ashamed of), others will pick up on that attitude. If someone asks "oh no, what happened, are you ok?" You can casually shrug them off and reply with a "oh, it's nothing to worry about, so.." And back to regular conversation.

Hope this helps Heart Hug

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 3 users Like Smercury44's post
20-03-2014, 08:49 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2014 08:58 PM by sporehux.)
A tattoo could be a good mask for it

I would own it, use your experience to help others (the many others), depression is more taboo in society then GAYness, it needs to be dragged into the open so people don't suffer in silence alone.
i know, as you would too that the depressed/stressed on the brink, do not and will not ask for help, they need it more then the people making psych appointments.

It's madness how people can stress on coming out to family over their sexuality, yet they go straight to suicide rather then bother their family with depression issues.

You get to know the look of resignation in peoples eyes, I just rattle off any small talk that comes to mind when I think i see the signs, some times they just need someone to say hello, to release the pressure valve, you would have one hell of a conversation starter.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
20-03-2014, 08:57 PM
(20-03-2014 07:22 PM)Charis Wrote:  As many of you know, I've had a rough time. Last year, I had attempted suicide. I was very nearly successful. I had 14 stitches on the outside and not sure how many deeper in.

I know there are many people who have thought of suicide and have even come close to it or at least toyed with it. Most, however, are able to keep their secret more easily.

A horrendous scar on my arm is something that comes with a stigma. I have arthritis in my wrist as well, so this gives me a valid excuse to wrap it, especially since I was wrapping it before to begin with for that reason. But sometimes I forget to wrap it. I have to be really careful. If someone sees it, I'm afraid they'll become alarmed and I don't need that and neither do they. I'm glad I wasn't successful, but this is kinda rough. Plus, sometimes I see it and start getting flashbacks...

That's one of the few sound reasons I've heard for getting a tattoo.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-03-2014, 08:57 PM
Sorry to hear about this, why would a women as pretty as you want to commit suicide(not trying to make a move). What ever it is just know that you just need to keep kicking ass.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post