Physics for newbs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2015, 01:47 PM
Physics for newbs
I am really wanting to learn, at the very least, some basic physics. I've been out of college for awhile and my math was weak even back then. I just bought aBasic Physics book off of Amazon. I've watched the MIT open course videos on Youtube but was lost within 5 minutes. Basically as soon as the Prof was done introducing himself. I'm just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2015, 01:49 PM
Physics for newbs
Watch minute physics on YouTube to get started. It's easy to understand and fun to watch.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
17-04-2015, 02:03 PM
RE: Physics for newbs
Khan Academy Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
18-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Physics can be very frustrating and difficult to understand. I don't care how smart you are, you are going to reach a point where it doesn't make any sense even though it is supposed to establish the fundamental laws of the universe. Once you have mastered Newtonian physics, you will think you are pretty smart and you will then step into quantum mechanics. At that point in your studies, you will want to remain close to a high window because there will be times when you see no other solution to your problems other than to throw yourself out of it.

But, Chas is right, the best place to start is Khan Academy.
18-04-2015, 03:11 PM
It also depends on what you're after.

Do you want a qualitative conceptual understanding?
Or do you want to solve path integrals?

... this is my signature!
18-04-2015, 04:22 PM
If Penny can ultimately learn something from Sheldon, so can you!

http://youtu.be/AEIn3T6nDAo

But seriously, Kahn Academy is a remarkable site. Great reference from Chas.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-04-2015, 12:26 AM
I agree with those who mentioned Khan Academy. They have a lot of awesome material on there. From my experience, their material is easy to understand as well.Thumbsup
20-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Everything by viascience:
https://www.youtube.com/user/viascience

But what to recommend depends on what you are wanting to get out of it. Are you looking an appreciation without the maths? Are you looking to be able to do maths problems? Are you interested in a specific area such as classical mechanics (Newtonian physics), relativity, quantum physics, thermodynamics... or are you after more of an overview to get the vibe of everything we know so far? Are you more interested in what we know or why we know it? Are you interested in the history, the story of those who brought us the knowledge we use today?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
20-04-2015, 10:53 AM
another vote for Khan Academy.

What about a book like Physics for Dummies? If you have a couple of decent bookstore within reach, you can probably have a good look through the book before you decide whether to buy or not. There's even a practice problem book coming out soon. Actually doing problems is vital in learning many subjects.
21-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Thanks guys. The Khan Academy website is awesome. I wondered where I'd heard of it before, my kids use it! Now I'm brushing back up on my Algrebra, will move to Calculus, and continue digging through the physics section as well.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.