Physics for newbs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2015, 01:25 PM
RE: Physics for newbs
(18-04-2015 10:21 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  Physics can be very frustrating and difficult to understand. I don't care how smart you are, you are going to reach a point where it doesn't make any sense even though it is supposed to establish the fundamental laws of the universe. Once you have mastered Newtonian physics, you will think you are pretty smart and you will then step into quantum mechanics. At that point in your studies, you will want to remain close to a high window because there will be times when you see no other solution to your problems other than to throw yourself out of it.

But, Chas is right, the best place to start is Khan Academy.

I'm currently reading Quantum Theory: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)

They are an excellent series of books but I'm not so sure about this one. But it is what it says, a very short introduction.

I really enjoyed Nothing: A Very Short Introduction and I will reading one by the same author on particle physics next.

But this article in New Scientist today made me feel a lot better about the subject of quantum mechanics.

Quantum purity: How the big picture banishes weirdness
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
22-04-2015, 01:08 PM
(17-04-2015 01:47 PM)aesirus Wrote:  I am really wanting to learn, at the very least, some basic physics. I've been out of college for awhile and my math was weak even back then.

About your maths Big Grin, why not ask at your local college if there are maths/physics students who are interested in doing some tutoring. it would help a lot. Some students just don't get maths until, say, their mid-20s or later, and then wonder what the problem was.

Edited to add: just kidding about the "math"/"maths" difference.
[+] 2 users Like jockmcdock's post
22-04-2015, 01:59 PM
Open Stax has a college level physics textbook for free.

http://cnx.org

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
22-04-2015, 03:55 PM
(17-04-2015 01:47 PM)aesirus Wrote:  I am really wanting to learn, at the very least, some basic physics. I've been out of college for awhile and my math was weak even back then. I just bought aBasic Physics book off of Amazon. I've watched the MIT open course videos on Youtube but was lost within 5 minutes. Basically as soon as the Prof was done introducing himself. I'm just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?

Some great suggestions already.
Also, you can always ask here or write e.g. me a pm. There are some dedicated physics forums out there, maybe there's onrle you feel comfortable in...

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
25-05-2015, 06:46 PM
Hi - Another really fun series of Berkeley lectures is "Physics 10 - Physics for Future Presidents" with playlist link below. The series started when Bush Jr was president, so the title makes a bit more sense. This series covers basics of matter and energy with fun relevant topics: solar versus other fuels, atom bombs, how did the twin towers fall, etc. I have a B.S. in physics and still listen and re-listen to this, and always learn something.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...gJaph6pCKO
25-05-2015, 09:09 PM
(18-04-2015 03:11 PM)cjlr Wrote:  It also depends on what you're after.

Do you want a qualitative conceptual understanding?
Or do you want to solve path integrals?

... or just have enough knowledge to be able to understand cjlr's questions?

Undecided

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
25-05-2015, 09:26 PM
(25-05-2015 09:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(18-04-2015 03:11 PM)cjlr Wrote:  It also depends on what you're after.

Do you want a qualitative conceptual understanding?
Or do you want to solve path integrals?

... or just have enough knowledge to be able to understand cjlr's questions?

Undecided

Weeping

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post