Poll: Which one would jesus pick?
Pharmacy
Physics/Astronomy
They both suck:
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Physics & space sciences or Pharmacy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Information Physics & space sciences or Pharmacy?
Hey gang Big Grin,

I hope all of you are having a sinful start to your weekends. Angel

My dilemma: As some of you may know I'm a 22 yr (1st year) student of Pharmacy. I have always had a thing for physics & astronomy. Since I pretty much like all the sciences and had the back-up (pressure?) from family in the health field, I tried for Pharmacy and got in.

Here I am, doing quite well in Pharmacy so far & apparently have quite a "stable financial situation" ahead of me. However, not a month goes by without me thinking of the potentially fulfilling & fun career I could have as an astrophysicist. Don't get me wrong - Pharmacy is fun, quite a science too. But to me, "it's not physics".

Everyone I talk to likes mention the fact that Pharmacists have a financially better/more stable spot in the future economy.

So, that begs the question... Do physicists/astronomers etc. have it that bad? What is the situation like in the the USA? Canada?

I like polls, so for fun I shall grant the audience one.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2011, 06:44 PM
RE: Physics & space sciences or Pharmacy?
I'm in the same boat as you, I dont know what I want to do as a career.
I'm thinking of trying a field of biology but I don't know which ones I should look into.

You could always continue with pharmacy then study astrophysics at a later point paying your way through college with the money you make from pharmacy.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
02-12-2011, 06:48 PM
(02-12-2011 06:44 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  I'm in the same boat as you, I dont know what I want to do as a career.
I'm thinking of trying a field of biology but I don't know which ones I should look into.

You could always continue with pharmacy then study astrophysics at a later point paying your way through college with the money you make from pharmacy.
Biology is awesome. Not sure if you're studying it right now but man, every time I've read a biology book it's read like a fun story. If you take Biology as undergrad I believe you'd have a large selection to choose from, no?

You're right - as a matter of fact that has been my plan so far Smile

I also have the option of studying physics/astro in Canada, in that case it will come out much cheaper than the pharmacy program I am in right now thus I wouldn't have to pay as much money back to the student financial support programs.
[+] 1 user Likes Adaptive's post
02-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Edge, for one, predicts the twenty first century to be for biology what the twentieth was for physics. Then you get what, ten times the pay for a tenth of the aggravation? So as long as you got no problems with being part of the "evil empire of Big Pharma," no worries.

Do the physics as a hobby. Build a telescope in that big backyard you're gonna get. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
02-12-2011, 07:03 PM
(02-12-2011 06:50 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Edge, for one, predicts the twenty first century to be for biology what the twentieth was for physics. Then you get what, ten times the pay for a tenth of the aggravation? So as long as you got no problems with being part of the "evil empire of Big Pharma," no worries.

Do the physics as a hobby. Build a telescope in that big backyard you're gonna get. Wink
If you put it that way, it does sound out quite attractive. Smile

Would physics really lag behind that much though?
[+] 1 user Likes Adaptive's post
02-12-2011, 07:12 PM
(02-12-2011 06:48 PM)Adaptive Wrote:  Biology is awesome. Not sure if you're studying it right now but man, every time I've read a biology book it's read like a fun story. If you take Biology as undergrad I believe you'd have a large selection to choose from, no?
Yeah it was my favourite subject years ago when I was in school.
I'm studying it as a higher at college along with chemistry and maths which are entry requirements to pretty much every bio course.

Unfortunately I never got a high enough grade in maths and had never studied chemistry so need to study them this year and again next year then off to uni hopefully.
I'm getting my course fees paid for me so I don't need to worry about running up debt (my country has to be good for something)

I was looking at biology books today but don't know where to start, any recommendations?

(02-12-2011 06:50 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Edge, for one, predicts the twenty first century to be for biology what the twentieth was for physics.

That's completely right biotechnology is the future.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
02-12-2011, 07:22 PM
(02-12-2011 07:03 PM)Adaptive Wrote:  Would physics really lag behind that much though?

Depends what you mean by "physics." QM has yet to make a misstep; string theory is 40-year old fluff that may not survive December 12th... If you wanna teach high school or be a lab tech, physics is fine and dandy.

You wanna do the science, be part of the recon mapping out new frontier; biology. Wink

02-12-2011, 08:12 PM

(02-12-2011 06:34 PM)Adaptive Wrote:  Here I am, doing quite well in Pharmacy so far & apparently have quite a "stable financial situation" ahead of me. However, not a month goes by without me thinking of the potentially fulfilling & fun career I could have as an astrophysicist. Don't get me wrong - Pharmacy is fun, quite a science too. But to me, "it's not physics".

Nothing is Physics except Physics.

It all depends on your priorities and very few 22 year old yet know them.

I sure did not.

At the beginning you concentrate on interest and money. Sometimes the two coincide sometimes not.

However, there are other important factors that you don't consider until much later, usually after you have invested heavily into your choice.

Here are a few other considerations:

- Are you independent minded or a team player?
- Do you like the idea of sitting behind a desk whole day?
- Do you like to work alone or you prefer human contact?
- Do you like theory or application?
- Are you concerned with doing good?

When I was your age, none of these questions mattered, not until I started working and had to live with related consequences day by day.

- I was never a team player.
- I hate sitting behind the desk whole day
- I had almost no human contact at the beginning of my career and I missed it a lot
- I liked theory above everything else.
- I desperately wanted to have my work make the world a better place

So, even though I had a promising career as a young Physicist, I soon realized that doing Physics wasn't enough. There is a lot more to life than interest and money.

So I got into teaching at college that gave me plenty of time dealing with young humans (which I liked) and plenty of time to deal with Administration (which I hated).

To cut a long story short: I found my compromise by getting into independent consulting: good money, maximum freedom and flexibility, no career to worry about, interesting variety of problems to solve, accepting only contracts that I believed in . Not a perfect compromise, to be sure, but the best available, considering everything.

So, my advice to you (for what it's worth), consider everything related to your choice -- not just interest and money.

ETA:

One good advice I got from an older friend, an engineer who had one year working experience after getting his degree: "My friend, never try to make a living with something that is close to your heart -- they will make you hate it!"

He was a usually cheerful person, I had never heard him this bitter before.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Zatamon's post
02-12-2011, 08:48 PM
(02-12-2011 08:12 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  So, my advice to you (for what it's worth), consider everything related to your choice -- not just interest and money.

For what it's worth, the Alien says... See that stuff right there? Humility, from a pro; who's been there and knows. So listen up, you young whippersnappers. Cool

TTA - a forum with Animated resource - "belief without evidence," not a requirement. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
03-12-2011, 02:20 AM
I took an overabundance of undergrad classes which eventually gave me almost enough hours for a double degree. However, at one point I had to decide on a focus, and the experience literally had me flipping a coin. Heads would officially award recognition of what I knew and loved, while tails would provide me with a degree in what I knew I was good at, and wouldn't let me starve. There is a difference between knowing something and knowing that you are good at something. I figured it didn't matter that much; if I'm good at something, I like and care about it just the same. Life happens.
Very quickly, I got work experience alongside a second degree and made money in what I was good at, but the original decision...
I was quite relieved when the coin came up heads.

Zatamon's friend was right... they can make you hate what you love... and they can make you hate what you are good at. Wink

Heart I kept what I love... and I kept it away from them.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post