Poll: Which one would jesus pick?
Pharmacy
Physics/Astronomy
They both suck:
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Physics & space sciences or Pharmacy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2011, 05:51 AM
RE: Physics & space sciences or Pharmacy?
I can relate. Was always good at drawing shit, but I'm also insane. Meaning I never saw the point of earning money and acquiring stuff; pretty much didn't have no point until drew that dang Gwyneth Paltrow...

...when she devoured my soul and made me her soulless minion. Big Grin

So to give advice in this area was to go by the numbers. These peeps don't wanna do "young and pointless" like I did it; you and the Zat covered the practicalities with the skill.

Once one starts to find identity, then the thing to do is "find the Gwynnies." The love and the passion. Then one becomes "unholy trinity" like ellenjanuary. Big Grin

Much more better to slap together the unholy trinity before the age of 43, of course; but the simple math of "I" as self-knwledge + passion in expression + love in life = victor victorious. It is easy to say "know thyself," the wisdom is knowing "self" is not contained entirely in mind. I was never into philosophy as a youth. As an adult, philosophy seemed to be a form of mental masturbation for the self-impressed intellectual. Truth tables and justified true belief and everybody saying you cannot know anything... really. Tongue

Then it was August of 2008. I'm crossing the intersection when a typical unobservant driver tries to pull a right on red right through me, after which giving me this apologetic look as he meekly backs up his shit. I'm like, I don't care about you, dude; I care about my Gwynnies.

When the Adversary pipes up. ellen, you are walking to the store to get food. You are not "caring about your Gwynnies," you're not even thinking about your Gwynnies; you are caring about your biology. Stop lying to yourself. Me and Satan thus had it out, right there in the street, in the grocery store, and all the way back to the crib. I cook up the pizza, break out the Word document, and begin writing.

It says nothing, to say; my god is Gwyneth Paltrow. Therefore, Gwyneth Paltrow is god. The 4 of my creation, "Gwyneth Paltrow is god;" and the birth of the naive philosopher who now pecks on these keys. A self discovered in philosophy; who'da thunk? Big Grin

Naive philosopher is not only what I am, it is what I do; it is career, occupation, certification, and justification. I will, and the world will yield. Cool

That's the kind of self-expression in occupation you want to achieve once you get the "I" sorted; but you cannot force it into biology nor physics, you must let the biology or the physics (or the summer job) come to you. In these terms, the Zat let independent consulting come to him.

(And don't let the grouch tell you differently - he's got 30 years of "Gwynnies" going on - that's the Captain, right there. Wink )

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2011, 08:27 AM

(03-12-2011 02:20 AM)kim Wrote:  Zatamon's friend was right... they can make you hate what you love... and they can make you hate what you are good at. Wink

Heart I kept what I love... and I kept it away from them.

I wish I did!

I did after I retired but, before that, I spent miserable decades battling the assholes at the top.

I started a thread on it a while ago, called: "Why does shit always rise to the top?"

The thread where one of my signatures (Lilith's) comes from.

If I started out today I would go for a trade, like construction and keep physics intact, close to my heart, for my private life.

In construction, I would aim at setting up my own business as soon as possible, so I would be my own boss and make my own decisions about how I job can be done properly, ethically, competently -- as opposed to worry about my boss's career objectives.

(03-12-2011 05:51 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  (And don't let the grouch tell you differently - he's got 30 years of "Gwynnies" going on - that's the Captain, right there. Wink )

That's true, Cantor (a shocking thought) -- except for the tattoo -- do you take commissions? Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2011, 10:12 AM
What part of Canada am I going to, again? Wink

03-12-2011, 10:16 AM

(03-12-2011 10:12 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What part of Canada am I going to, again? Wink

Baffin Island! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
03-12-2011, 12:13 PM
That ain't Canada, that's the north pole! In New England, we say, can't get thar, from heah which google translates into We could not calculate directions between Worcester, MA and Baffin Island. That ain't a commission, that's commissioning a polar expedition! Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
03-12-2011, 12:29 PM

(03-12-2011 12:13 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  That ain't a commission, that's commissioning a polar expedition! Big Grin

First, get yourself some sled dogs, make sure you can handle them -- then we can talk.

Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like Zatamon's post
04-12-2011, 06:26 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 06:31 AM by Adaptive.)
Wow. Thanks for all the helpful insights everyone.
(02-12-2011 07:12 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(02-12-2011 06:48 PM)Adaptive Wrote:  Biology is awesome. Not sure if you're studying it right now but man, every time I've read a biology book it's read like a fun story. If you take Biology as undergrad I believe you'd have a large selection to choose from, no?
Yeah it was my favourite subject years ago when I was in school.
I'm studying it as a higher at college along with chemistry and maths which are entry requirements to pretty much every bio course.

Unfortunately I never got a high enough grade in maths and had never studied chemistry so need to study them this year and again next year then off to uni hopefully.
I'm getting my course fees paid for me so I don't need to worry about running up debt (my country has to be good for something)

I was looking at biology books today but don't know where to start, any recommendations?

(02-12-2011 06:50 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Edge, for one, predicts the twenty first century to be for biology what the twentieth was for physics.

That's completely right biotechnology is the future.
I meant the Biology textbooks I've had the chance to go through in university.
Outside of that I haven't read many. I thought the Selfish Gene was fascinating & I recently started Origin of Species. Both are about evolution which I think you might be interested in. Maybe others who have read more could chime in Smile.

That's awesome how you're getting the entry requirements done so you can get busy with that bio course! In high school we often don't realize how important (not to mention fun) these courses are. Truthfully, as long as you put the time in to study (math/chem), high marks are achievable. Sounds easy & it is - just got to put up with it.

(02-12-2011 08:12 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(02-12-2011 06:34 PM)Adaptive Wrote:  Here I am, doing quite well in Pharmacy so far & apparently have quite a "stable financial situation" ahead of me. However, not a month goes by without me thinking of the potentially fulfilling & fun career I could have as an astrophysicist. Don't get me wrong - Pharmacy is fun, quite a science too. But to me, "it's not physics".

Nothing is Physics except Physics.

It all depends on your priorities and very few 22 year old yet know them.

I sure did not.

At the beginning you concentrate on interest and money. Sometimes the two coincide sometimes not.

However, there are other important factors that you don't consider until much later, usually after you have invested heavily into your choice.

Here are a few other considerations:

- Are you independent minded or a team player?
- Do you like the idea of sitting behind a desk whole day?
- Do you like to work alone or you prefer human contact?
- Do you like theory or application?
- Are you concerned with doing good?

When I was your age, none of these questions mattered, not until I started working and had to live with related consequences day by day.

- I was never a team player.
- I hate sitting behind the desk whole day
- I had almost no human contact at the beginning of my career and I missed it a lot
- I liked theory above everything else.
- I desperately wanted to have my work make the world a better place

So, even though I had a promising career as a young Physicist, I soon realized that doing Physics wasn't enough. There is a lot more to life than interest and money.

So I got into teaching at college that gave me plenty of time dealing with young humans (which I liked) and plenty of time to deal with Administration (which I hated).

To cut a long story short: I found my compromise by getting into independent consulting: good money, maximum freedom and flexibility, no career to worry about, interesting variety of problems to solve, accepting only contracts that I believed in . Not a perfect compromise, to be sure, but the best available, considering everything.

So, my advice to you (for what it's worth), consider everything related to your choice -- not just interest and money.

ETA:

One good advice I got from an older friend, an engineer who had one year working experience after getting his degree: "My friend, never try to make a living with something that is close to your heart -- they will make you hate it!"

He was a usually cheerful person, I had never heard him this bitter before.
You're right, Zatamon. I was actually hoping you'd chime in.

My deciding point weighs mostly on what I think I have the most interest in. I've always thought that pushing the borders of space sciences could be a help to society/humanity. Thinking that it can change the perspectives of people on life and how beautiful it is.

I've heard people say the same thing to me as your friend said. Maybe it's time I take to heart.

Though I wouldn't mind sitting behind a desk all day. As long as I would be getting worthwhile work done! Tongue

(03-12-2011 02:20 AM)kim Wrote:  I took an overabundance of undergrad classes which eventually gave me almost enough hours for a double degree. However, at one point I had to decide on a focus, and the experience literally had me flipping a coin. Heads would officially award recognition of what I knew and loved, while tails would provide me with a degree in what I knew I was good at, and wouldn't let me starve. There is a difference between knowing something and knowing that you are good at something. I figured it didn't matter that much; if I'm good at something, I like and care about it just the same. Life happens.
Very quickly, I got work experience alongside a second degree and made money in what I was good at, but the original decision...
I was quite relieved when the coin came up heads.

Zatamon's friend was right... they can make you hate what you love... and they can make you hate what you are good at. Wink

Heart I kept what I love... and I kept it away from them.
Kim, that's great how you got through with having the best of both worlds. If only I could do the same. Maybe sometime later on in life!

Believe it or not, your responses have given me a different mindset about my future career. Cool
Find all posts by this user
04-12-2011, 09:21 AM

(04-12-2011 06:26 AM)Adaptive Wrote:  My deciding point weighs mostly on what I think I have the most interest in. I've always thought that pushing the borders of space sciences could be a help to society/humanity. Thinking that it can change the perspectives of people on life and how beautiful it is.

One more aspect I have to warn you about, Adaptive: if you are really good in any of the sciences (Math, Physics, Biology, etc.) and reach top grades, be prepared to get almost irresistible offers from the military, Wall Street, Big Pharma, etc.

If you succumb, your chances of making the world a better place will be practically nil -- rather the opposite.

It is a real tragedy: the best, sometimes genius-caliber, minds -- those who could think our way out of this horrible mess humanity is in, are seduced into doing the opposite.

Just think about the legacy of all those geniuses involved with the Manhattan Project. There is a long line of them, following in their footsteps, developing biological weapons, space-based weapons, financial meltdowns, $1000/pill life-saving medicine and justifying destructive practices.

When you consider your future career, you have to be aware of ALL these aspects.

Astronomy is probably the area where you can do least harm and it is as far out of the box as it gets.
[+] 3 users Like Zatamon's post
04-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Study what you like, and then prepare to do something entirely different for a living. Probably several different things, consecutively and/or concurrently.
This is a volatile period in history. You can have very little idea what will happen to industry, technology, government and economy, even a decade from now, let alone during your whole working life. It's probably a bad idea to depend on institutions and agencies as they exist currently, or even on society as it's organized.
Grow squash and dehydrate it. Brew beer out of kudzu. Patent a collapsible chicken-coop. Repair rubber boots with old tires. The trick to survival will be, as it has been, adaptability...
.... but you already knew that.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 3 users Like Peterkin's post
04-12-2011, 10:10 AM
More food for thought.

Sad thing is that comes to mind is that there probably isn't any other way of getting a "life saving" pill out there, other than through the Big Pharmas'.