Poll: Which one would jesus pick?
Pharmacy
Physics/Astronomy
They both suck:
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Physics & space sciences or Pharmacy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2011, 10:15 AM

RE: Physics & space sciences or Pharmacy?
(04-12-2011 10:04 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  This is a volatile period in history. You can have very little idea what will happen to industry, technology, government and economy, even a decade from now, let alone during your whole working life. It's probably a bad idea to depend on institutions and agencies as they exist currently, or even on society as it's organized.

This is an excellent point, Peterkin, something I forgot to warn him about.

The opportunities you count on today, may not be there tomorrow.

One example is the software consulting business.

I regularly made $60-$80/hour, until the late 90-s when the bottom fell out. Because of the Internet, companies started hiring software developers from Asia, Eastern Europe, etc., who would do the same job we did, for a fraction of the price. From one day to the next, practically, software developers in Canada had to start looking for minimum-wage jobs, unless they were highly specialized.

No telling what opportunity will be wiped out next, either due to 'globalization' or to major crashes: financial, climate, wars, etc.

Better be prepared and think of a living that will not go south, east or whatever, something that will always be needed right where you are. Doctors will be safe (you can't do it over the internet -- yet) and carpenters, tradesmen in general, etc.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Zatamon's post
04-12-2011, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 03:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Physics & space sciences or Pharmacy?
(02-12-2011 06:34 PM)Adaptive Wrote:  So, that begs the question... Do physicists/astronomers etc. have it that bad? What is the situation like in the the USA? Canada?

In the USA you're gonna need a PhD in either of those to work in the field. That's a serious time and financial committment. And the opportunites are usually limited to academia and research labs. The financial industry used to soak 'em up when derivatives trading was hot because, well you had to know what a derivative was in order to trade on it. Not sure what that market looks like now.

You can be a productive Pharmacist without needing a PhD in Pharmacology. If you really like Physics, many of my friends at University with that bent first got an undergraduate degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering and then found an employer who would fund their graduate studies. Some stayed in EE or CE but I work with one who opted for Physics and now he's doing some pretty cool stuff in Ghost Imaging and Quantum Computing.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post