Pick Your Superpower..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2013, 01:48 AM
Pick Your Superpower..
I flipped past a rerun of Heroes the other day, and it got me thinking that Gods are kinda like Superheroes. Not a new idea, I know. I remember playing superheroes when I was a kid, and had a lot of fun with it. Everybody always wanted to be Superman.

If you could pick one thing from a religion and have that one thing be true, what would it be?

Me, I'd pick Reincarnation. Anybody else have a preference? Throw lightning bolts? Walk on water?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2013, 06:40 AM
RE: Pick Your Superpower..
Can I have Gus' Super-Sniffer?

[Image: 33xy6me.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like LostLocke's post
30-03-2013, 06:53 AM
The only 'super power' I am interesting in would be the ability to transmit myself through any form of technology.
That way I could, in theory, punch people through the Internet.

I cannot think of a superpower from religion I might want.

Necromancy maybe? I am sure there has been a deity somewhere in some religion which raises and controls the dead.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
30-03-2013, 07:16 AM
I guess on a more "serious" note, I had a major fascination with the magic-users from D&D when I was a kid. Maybe not a superpower, but I wouldn't a mind little of that coming my way.

Though, I'm not sure I'd like the idea of walking around with AC10 for the rest of my life. Undecided

30-03-2013, 07:31 AM
I used to always be a cleric or DM, and now I'm a prophet. Can't explain that! Big Grin

Anyhoo... I got superpowers. And they suck. So it's the ol' "careful what you wish for" dilemma. Like invisibility, and being a pedestrian? Know how many times I nearly got run'd over? Lots. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
30-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Time travel

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
30-03-2013, 08:18 AM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2013 11:17 AM by Luminon.)
(30-03-2013 01:48 AM)ArchAtheistMichael Wrote:  I flipped past a rerun of Heroes the other day, and it got me thinking that Gods are kinda like Superheroes. Not a new idea, I know. I remember playing superheroes when I was a kid, and had a lot of fun with it. Everybody always wanted to be Superman.

If you could pick one thing from a religion and have that one thing be true, what would it be?

Me, I'd pick Reincarnation. Anybody else have a preference? Throw lightning bolts? Walk on water?
Reincarnation... I'd have my bet that we already have this one. No need to waste a wish on it.

As for a superpower, I'd pick manifestation. Say a word and an idea becomes reality. No need to learn for years how to write music, paint or construct a device.
But I see that's too abstract and not enough fun. You mean something like flying or super strength...

There is maybe one thing. It is projection and reception of emotion and thought. I'd really love to have that one. Bypass all the social bullshit and make people feel what I feel and know what I know and vice versa, be in a degree of touch with what they feel and think. Projective tele(m)pathy, you could call that.
I would not be a f├╝hrer rallying the crowds (uhm, maybe a little... Shy ), I'd be something like an administrator, teacher, a DJ of psychedelic music and a priest leading a sacred ritual mass.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
30-03-2013, 09:05 AM
(30-03-2013 07:31 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I used to always be a cleric....
Oh, didn't think of a cleric.

But it depends which ones.
Do you mean the modern cleric that's really just a healbot for the group and gets yelled at for doing anything other than trying to heal them?
Or do you mean the old school clerics that were actually decent in melee and could hold there own in frontline combat?

If the first, you can keep em...
If the later, then ya, I'll take that cleric over a magic-user.
Tongue

30-03-2013, 07:26 PM
(30-03-2013 06:40 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  Can I have Gus' Super-Sniffer?

Or maybe Shawn's power of observation. ... It's a tough call. Big Grin

This is not my signature.
30-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Immortality.

Second choice would be time control. Being able to slow time down to half speed, 1% speed, rewind, ect

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious