Pick your funeral song.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2012, 07:48 PM
RE: Pick your funeral song.
(15-11-2012 05:12 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(15-11-2012 04:52 PM)HereticHick Wrote:  Really, you going there. A debate over which is better, it's rather pedantic if you ask me. I choose Cale's for it's sparseness and it's my funeral, I get to chose what I want. Honestly, Cohen's arrangement with all that bass to high in the mix, back-up singers (invoking gospel) and christ, the synthesizers (can you say 80s) isn't getting anywhere near my memorial service (no funeral, my carcass goes to science) but that's just my taste. I mean really, some of Lenny's music in the 80's and 90's, ehh. His lyrics, always impeccable of course.
Love the second Cave song (and very appropriate, too).

But a Cohen cover, no matter how good it is, will always fall short of the original. Yes
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2012, 08:28 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2012 08:46 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-11-2012 05:12 PM)Vera Wrote:  But a Cohen cover, no matter how good it is, will always fall short of the original. Yes

First Pink Floyd and now Leonard. Starting to suspect you might have a bias against covers. Buckley's cover of Hallelujah is far more poignant and evocative than the original because, well he died a few months after recording it and Cohen still lives. Context counts.

And this will be my eulogy:

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though it all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean there aren't people who should pray for their sorry ass to be saved.
Find all posts by this user
15-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Well, since I didn't play by the rules the first time (hey, I am a heretic) I'm going to amend my first post. The audio quality is not the best, a VHS transfer. Lou wrote this for Andy, a song about life and death...

I'd follow it with this. This is one the most poignant songs about death and grief ever written by a mortal man. I like this live version, unfortunately the upload is low-fi:

[+] 2 users Like HereticHick's post
15-11-2012, 10:19 PM
(15-11-2012 09:33 PM)HereticHick Wrote:  Well, since I didn't play by the rules the first time (hey, I am a heretic) I'm going to amend my first post. The audio quality is not the best, a VHS transfer. Lou wrote this for Andy, a song about life and death...

Lou Reed works here. I took a walk on the wild side, bitches. Thought I was James Dean for a day fuckers. Big Grin

Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean there aren't people who should pray for their sorry ass to be saved.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-11-2012, 10:28 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2012 10:39 PM by HereticHick.)
Damn it, I hate to post again but my links were somehow incorrect last time.
First:

Second: (excuse the drop outs on this poor quality upload)

16-11-2012, 02:25 AM
(15-11-2012 08:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Buckley's cover of Hallelujah is far more poignant and evocative than the original because, well he died a few months after recording it and Cohen still lives. Context counts.
That's such bull, darling No

Why would I judge the quality of a song by what happened to the singer a couple of months later. Really, what kind of twisted logic is that. (the only time this is even remotely relevant is with Otis Reding, but Dock of the Bay is one the greatest songs ever written anyway) And Buckley's version is whiny as hell.

And no, there ain't no pattern or bias. Just for the record, there are three artists you do not cover (well) - Cohen, Floyd and Queen. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
16-11-2012, 01:15 PM

16-11-2012, 02:46 PM
(16-11-2012 02:25 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(15-11-2012 08:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Buckley's cover of Hallelujah is far more poignant and evocative than the original because, well he died a few months after recording it and Cohen still lives. Context counts.
That's such bull, darling No

Why would I judge the quality of a song by what happened to the singer a couple of months later. Really, what kind of twisted logic is that. (the only time this is even remotely relevant is with Otis Reding, but Dock of the Bay is one the greatest songs ever written anyway) And Buckley's version is whiny as hell.

And no, there ain't no pattern or bias. Just for the record, there are three artists you do not cover (well) - Cohen, Floyd and Queen. Drinking Beverage

ManlyGirl says no, I am not allowed to just fuck that shit out of you. But I still maintain I fucking could. ... Bring it, bitch.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-11-2012, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2012 03:36 PM by Vera.)
(16-11-2012 02:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ManlyGirl says no, I am not allowed to just fuck that shit out of you. But I still maintain I fucking could. ... Bring it, bitch.
Thank god for sister solidarity. Or controlling wives. Either way - [Image: whew.gif] (though when we were kids, my sister used to tell me I should go into sumo... man, it's a miracle I turned out as well-adjusted as I did).

And the above video just proves my pointWink Also, how many people can sing this half as well at the peak of their health? And he was months away from death. He truly was something else.

And because this is ostensibly a funeral thread:

(Spoiler overdose so that I don't end up taking up the entire page)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
16-11-2012, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2012 03:54 PM by GirlyMan.)
(16-11-2012 03:06 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 02:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ManlyGirl says no, I am not allowed to just fuck that shit out of you. But I still maintain I fucking could. ... Bring it, bitch.
Thank god for sister solidarity. Or controlling wives. Either way - [Image: whew.gif] (though when we were kids, my sister used to tell me I should go into sumo... man, it's a miracle I turned out as well-adjusted as I did).

And the above video just proves my pointWink Also, how many people can sing this half as well at the peak of their health? And he was months away from death. He truly was something else.

And because this is ostensibly a funeral thread:

(Spoiler overdose so that I don't end up taking up the entire page)

That shit makes me want to fuck you more, ManlyGirl's ain't happy with that shit.