Picking the brain of Egor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2012, 02:38 PM
RE: Picking the brain of Egor
(25-02-2012 02:31 PM)Egor Wrote:  What I was saying is that if I don't believe my own religion, I might as well not try to find God at all.

So have you not found god then???

Also can you please define "success" if we all keep carrying on as we are???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2012, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2012 03:12 PM by craniumonempty.)
(25-02-2012 02:31 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(25-02-2012 10:59 AM)craniumonempty Wrote:  
(24-02-2012 10:41 PM)Egor Wrote:  Either I believe my religion is true, or I might as well be an atheist.

Do you consider people atheists when they don't believe your religion is true?

No. Every atheists I've ever encountered specifically rejects Jesus Christ and the existence of God. That puts them in a whole different category than a Hindu or Muslim or Christian or Jew.

What I was saying is that if I don't believe my own religion, I might as well not try to find God at all.

So, if you weren't a part of the religion you are with now, then you wouldn't be a part of any? Not sure I get that statement.

Uh, I didn't reject anything. I will now if you want, but for me it was about belief especially at first. Most atheists I talk to become an atheist due to studying the evidence. I wish I could say the same. I was walking back to my barracks one nice sunny day, and it just hit me all of a sudden. It was like the world flipped upside down all of a sudden. The god I thought I knew and loved wasn't there. There was no warning, no nothing, just gone. Currently, I think it was my sub-conscience not wanting to play the games anymore, but I'm not sure what happened exactly. I tried for years to believe again, but mostly because I thought I was literally the only atheist (a term I didn't know at the time) on the planet. Yeah, that is a little selfish of me to think that, but I really didn't want to approach someone with it for fear of reaction and rejection. It was many years before I came to grips with it and started looking for others and found that I was completely foolish to think I was alone. It helped that I was called an "atheist" by a priest and a few other Christians, or I wouldn't have even known the term. It wasn't that I wanted them knowing that I didn't believe, but I don't like lying about it either. They kind of drug it out of me.

So, no. I won't take that crap from you. I really tried for years to believe that stuff again, but it wouldn't go back into my brain. Now I'm content and happy with the decision. I've read the bible again and it's amazing how different it looks when you believe as opposed to when you don't believe. I wasn't trying to re-believe either when I reread it, it was more for curiosity. The words are written by humans for humans. The people that wrote it probably wrote it for the best intentions. It has things in it that are probably historically significant. It's still a book by humans for humans.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
[+] 2 users Like craniumonempty's post
25-02-2012, 09:00 PM

(25-02-2012 03:08 PM)craniumonempty Wrote:  
(25-02-2012 02:31 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(25-02-2012 10:59 AM)craniumonempty Wrote:  
(24-02-2012 10:41 PM)Egor Wrote:  Either I believe my religion is true, or I might as well be an atheist.

Do you consider people atheists when they don't believe your religion is true?

No. Every atheists I've ever encountered specifically rejects Jesus Christ and the existence of God. That puts them in a whole different category than a Hindu or Muslim or Christian or Jew.

What I was saying is that if I don't believe my own religion, I might as well not try to find God at all.

So, if you weren't a part of the religion you are with now, then you wouldn't be a part of any? Not sure I get that statement.

Uh, I didn't reject anything. I will now if you want, but for me it was about belief especially at first. Most atheists I talk to become an atheist due to studying the evidence. I wish I could say the same. I was walking back to my barracks one nice sunny day, and it just hit me all of a sudden. It was like the world flipped upside down all of a sudden. The god I thought I knew and loved wasn't there. There was no warning, no nothing, just gone. Currently, I think it was my sub-conscience not wanting to play the games anymore, but I'm not sure what happened exactly. I tried for years to believe again, but mostly because I thought I was literally the only atheist (a term I didn't know at the time) on the planet. Yeah, that is a little selfish of me to think that, but I really didn't want to approach someone with it for fear of reaction and rejection. It was many years before I came to grips with it and started looking for others and found that I was completely foolish to think I was alone. It helped that I was called an "atheist" by a priest and a few other Christians, or I wouldn't have even known the term. It wasn't that I wanted them knowing that I didn't believe, but I don't like lying about it either. They kind of drug it out of me.

So, no. I won't take that crap from you. I really tried for years to believe that stuff again, but it wouldn't go back into my brain. Now I'm content and happy with the decision. I've read the bible again and it's amazing how different it looks when you believe as opposed to when you don't believe. I wasn't trying to re-believe either when I reread it, it was more for curiosity. The words are written by humans for humans. The people that wrote it probably wrote it for the best intentions. It has things in it that are probably historically significant. It's still a book by humans for humans.

Atheistic thoughts come to everyone. You either work through them or you don't. You didn't. And if you want me to believe that God just popped out of your head, okay, then I guess he's abandon you--but you seem pretty happy about that to me.
Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2012, 10:33 PM
(25-02-2012 09:00 PM)Egor Wrote:  Atheistic thoughts come to everyone. You either work through them or you don't. You didn't. And if you want me to believe that God just popped out of your head, okay, then I guess he's abandon you--but you seem pretty happy about that to me.

They're not something to work through. Rolleyes
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
25-02-2012, 11:28 PM
(25-02-2012 09:00 PM)He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named Wrote:  Atheistic thoughts come to everyone. You either work through them or you don't. You didn't. And if you want me to believe that God just popped out of your head, okay, then I guess he's abandon you--but you seem pretty happy about that to me.

I'm pretty happy God abandoned me, too. That guy was a douche, and he kept me feeling miserable by making me feel awesome once in a long while. Atheistic thoughts do come to everyone. It's unfortunate that most people have to work so hard (like I did) to keep them at bay and continue believing lies just so people don't spit on them.
[+] 1 user Likes rook2004's post
26-02-2012, 05:29 AM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2012 05:35 AM by craniumonempty.)
(25-02-2012 09:00 PM)Egor Wrote:  Atheistic thoughts come to everyone. You either work through them or you don't. You didn't. And if you want me to believe that God just popped out of your head, okay, then I guess he's abandon you--but you seem pretty happy about that to me.

I did work through the thoughts of losing Christianity. I told you this, because I think you are lying to yourself. I almost don't even care if you lie to me, but you really shouldn't lie to yourself. However the other thought was that maybe you just didn't know. Now you do. The idea of God didn't pop out of my head. It was far different from that. I still had all the thoughts I had before, but just one little thing was different that changed everything. The thought that that God was real. All my life that I can remember before that point, it wasn't a thought, it was a real being watching us all day to day. Complicated, beautiful. It wasn't like an imaginary friend, it was real... he was real to me... Then he wasn't. That's what I meant. It was like a death in the family for me. Except there was nothing to mourn. I was never taught that there were others that didn't believe, and I never knew there were others. That's why I thought I was alone in the world. Even in the Corps, it was "God, Country, Corps". I didn't want to bring it up to my fellow Marines, because I didn't really know what to say.

Currently, I'm happy with it. I've since been married and my wife is Christian... well, Christian/Spiritist... and some other stuff, but Brasil is kind of odd like that. There were a few scuffles with religion, but that was about it... maybe 10 or so minutes in a 10 year relationship. What scuffles we mostly do have don't really have to do with religion. Sometimes I even suggest that she get more active in her church... It's complicated the exact reasons why, but the simple answer is that she is big on community and that is a big part of her community.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
26-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Quote: I guess he's abandon you
How intresting...child abuse.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.