Pictures for a Laugh at Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2016, 10:45 PM
RE: Pictures for a Laugh at Atheism
(01-11-2016 10:40 PM)ViolexTV Wrote:  Here I was expecting some more stuff poking fun at the misogyny, racism, homophobia, and transphobia within atheist communities. Because that kinda garbage needs to be called out.

I'd say those problems are less within atheist communities than in the religious ones.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2016, 10:45 PM
(01-11-2016 10:10 PM)RenaissanceMan Wrote:  
(01-11-2016 09:26 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  5) Be honest. Be respectful. Be an example of the Christianity you want us to believe you represent. Or be gone.

"Honest." Like atheists?
"Respectful"? Like atheists?

Surely you jest. ("No, I'm serious. And don't call me Shirley.")

And, no, I didn't say "like atheists". I said like "an example of the Christianity you want us to believe you represent".

Atheists are no more group-identified, as far as behavioral or other social characteristics, than "people who do not like sports". Yes, you can make some generalizations about non-sports-fans, but mostly they'll be as varied as any other group you defined based on what they're not.

Some atheists are rude and disrespectful, ignorant and aggressive. Some of us are none of those things. Most of us, I'd imagine, are just like normal people: when someone comes at us aggressively and insultingly, we respond in kind.

YOU are the one who contends that Christians should be better than not-Christians. YOU are the one who alleges that your assertions are deserving of respect.

You are not demonstrating either of those things. If you are going to try to sell us on the idea that Christianity is something/anything other than "regular people who share a religious delusion", then it behooves you to NOT misbehave and then say you do so because we do so.

Incidentally, the argument you are attempting here is called the tu quoque argument, and it's not one that is particularly kind to the basic assertion that Christianity is transformative or makes you somehow special. Atheists, of course, start from the contention that we are all just intelligent animals, so you're helping our case, not yours, when you try that argument.

(01-11-2016 10:10 PM)RenaissanceMan Wrote:  You atheists and all your hundreds of friends can slam, and smear, and condemn with vicious, vitriolic, hateful, vulgar filth and disrespect, and have the temerity to demand that WE be respectful?

Other than saying "kudos" for the well-placed alliteration in your vocabulary, I should point out, again, that I did not demand, but advised that you do so-- for the reasons I stated above.

We are not the ones claiming we were magically transformed by believing in vicarious atonement via the blood-sacrifice of a demigod.

But yes, we can slam and condemn (et cetera) to our hearts' content. It's called free speech. As Robert Heinlein once wrote, in Time Enough for Love, "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."

It bothers me a bit that you think we should not be freely able to do so, that any idea is beyond criticism. I've noticed that religious fundamentalists are the ones most likely to demand that their ideas not be made fun of, usually in the most vehement and violent terms. Try to sound a bit less like ISIL or the Taliban... I'm just sayin'.

(01-11-2016 10:10 PM)RenaissanceMan Wrote:  I am far better educated than 90% or more of you, and yet you harass and demean in the most hateful manner possible.

If by "better educated", you mean that you have degrees, then good for you-- but it's irrelevant to whether or not your arguments have merit. Indeed, if you spend much time in academia, you'll quickly understand why the joke is that PhD stands for "Piled Higher and Deeper".

You have already said several (and I mean several) things that indicate that your education is either very narrow in scope or that you have simply failed to study adequately all the areas in which you profess to have knowledge... your glaring and garish misstatements about biology, and sweepingly overbroad, cliched positions on fascism and communism, struck me immediately.

You are now on a board that contains several biologists, mathematicians, physicists, and at least one physician and an organic chemist of whom I am aware. We also have a number of us with degrees in theology, history, and sociology. So while it's good that you have an education, you're not going to impress us with it unless your education encompasses a solid understanding of the subject matter-- like I said before, it behooves you to read books that won't be found in your denominationally-approved church library if you want to play the game at the level you claim to desire, here.

(01-11-2016 10:10 PM)RenaissanceMan Wrote:  Yes, I make mistakes when trying to present my thoughts, but I have yet to engage in the vile conduct that typifies atheists.

"Typifies"? Yet to engage in... hrm... you mean other than making broad, sweepingly prejudicial statements about an entire category of people... on the forum set aside for those people?

(01-11-2016 10:10 PM)RenaissanceMan Wrote:  It seems to be your intention to censor any dissent, any at all, not with reason, not with knowledge, not with truth, but with contemptuous, condescending, hateful ugliness, at which all of you truly excel.

All of us, eh? Hrm... you really need to look up what the word "bigot" means.

If you think we censor dissent, you haven't done more than skim the forum. Dissent is pretty much what we do here, be it with one another or with theists.

You seem not to grasp that you have come here to The Thinking Atheist Forum, and immediately launched into a diatribe of "contemptuous, condescending, hateful ugliness" DIRECTED AT US, and are now trying to take umbrage at our returned hostility. It's an impressive degree of willful self-blindness, sir.

What we will do is mercilessly mock anyone who makes aggressive assertions that are simply not backed up by objective fact, or which are directly countered by the evidence, when they try to bluster their way to establishing through force of personality that which is not established (or countermanded) by the evidence.

(01-11-2016 10:10 PM)RenaissanceMan Wrote:  Now why doesn't one of you speak for the group, and do so in the respectful manner you preach to me..

Am I not doing so? Or does your blanket of asserted bigotry cover my replies as well, since I am an atheist, regardless of how polite and respectful I am about it?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
01-11-2016, 10:47 PM
(01-11-2016 10:40 PM)ViolexTV Wrote:  Here I was expecting some more stuff poking fun at the misogyny, racism, homophobia, and transphobia within atheist communities. Because that kinda garbage needs to be called out.

But... but... with all the claimed, boasted, screamed "intellectualism," and "rationality" and "reason" and goodness how could there POSSIBLY be misogny, racism, homophobia, transphobia, much less a personal problems thread within this "Thinking Atheis" forum?
01-11-2016, 10:48 PM

Also more "I am euphoric" memes because those always give me a good giggle.

You should poke fun at the misogyny, racism, homophobia, and transphobia within atheist communities. We all should.

All groups should take a good, hard look at themselves.

Sadly, that's not the reason this thread got started. Instead, we're dealing with yet another anti-atheism bigot who's got his Underoos in a bunch over what he seems to feel is an insufficient degree of deference shown by us nonbelievers for his sacred cows.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
01-11-2016, 10:50 PM
(01-11-2016 10:10 PM)RenaissanceMan Wrote:  I am far better educated than 90% or more of you, and yet you harass and demean in the most hateful manner possible.

[Image: 250px-PatriotU_Crop.jpg]

No, you see Bible Patriot University isn't accredited. It's only "pleasing to the lord," but that kind of clout doesn't actually translate into board certified state accreditation to teach English, math, science, social science, history or any secular field of study.

Basically, you didn't get any real education there.

Sorry. Sad
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
01-11-2016, 10:53 PM
(01-11-2016 10:47 PM)RenaissanceMan Wrote:  

But... but... with all the claimed, boasted, screamed "intellectualism," and "rationality" and "reason" and goodness how could there POSSIBLY be misogny, racism, homophobia, transphobia, much less a personal problems thread within this "Thinking Atheis" forum?
you know what... I'm a sit this one out for a bit and just watch from the sidelines. Let y'all have a go first.

(31-10-2016 08:34 PM)RenaissanceMan Wrote:  You meant to write "their," the possessive form of "they." Instead, you ignorantly wrote "there," its homonym. So much for the argument of atheist intellectual superiority, etc.

Misogyny has more than one y and Atheist has a t in it by the way. It's OK if English isn't your first language.Drinking Beverage

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
(01-11-2016 10:50 PM)Aliza Wrote:  

[Image: 250px-PatriotU_Crop.jpg]

No, you see Bible Patriot University isn't accredited. It's only "pleasing to the lord," but that kind of clout doesn't actually translate into board certified state accreditation to teach English, math, science, social science, history or any secular field of study.

Basically, you didn't get any real education there.

Sorry. Sad

AH Kent Hovind's Alma Mater
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
Whiskey, you think this might be that guy who wanted to pledge himself to being your love slave?

Not that I blame him, you're smokin' hot. Blush
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
01-11-2016, 10:55 PM
(01-11-2016 10:43 PM)RenaissanceMan Wrote:  Well done, Peebothuhul. Thank you, even if you are the only member to express kindness and appreciation for my efforts.

[Image: c7779b23-0d14-475e-bd8b-d14e15811361_l.jpg]

Look harder.
01-11-2016, 10:56 PM
(01-11-2016 10:45 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Try to sound a bit less like ISIL or the Taliban... I'm just sayin'.

They despise Christians as much as you do. Muslims have murdered hundreds of millions like atheists have.

Quote:If by "better educated", you mean that you have degrees, then good for you-- but it's irrelevant to whether or not your arguments have merit.

Merit has nothing whatsoever to do with statements made contrary to High Priests of Atheism. All such remarks are utterly discounted, condemned, and ignored as blasphemous.

Quote:You have already said several (and I mean several) things that indicate that your education is either very narrow in scope or that you have simply failed to study adequately all the areas in which you profess to have knowledge... your glaring and garish misstatements about biology, and sweepingly overbroad, cliched positions on fascism and communism, struck me immediately.

Why don't you try to be specific, instead of "overbroad" and "cliched".
Have you read Dawkins' books? Critiqued them? Carl Sagan's?
I have, both. And these college professors wrote some very ignorant, misleading, and biased left-wing rubbish, which I will quote soon enough.

Quote:What we will do is mercilessly mock anyone who makes aggressive assertions that are simply not backed up by objective fact, or which are directly countered by the evidence, when they try to bluster their way to establishing through force of personality that which is not established (or countermanded) by the evidence.

No, that is not remotely true. You are an extremely intolerant, condescendinng bunch, absolutely typical of atheists, from Richard Dawkins, all the Darwinian way down.