Pigeon Toss

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2013, 04:19 PM
RE: Pigeon Toss
(16-01-2013 04:16 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm sure people don't think twice about putting out rat poison.
Don't tell me you don't see the difference? It's not even about the type of animal. It's about taking a life for the fun of it. And deriving pleasure from the suffering of another living being.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
16-01-2013, 04:34 PM
(16-01-2013 04:16 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm sure people don't think twice about putting out rat poison.

That's not the same thing. I'm not caging the rat and feeding it poison to watch it die. That's as bad as the dumb ass here in Oregon who when their dog was hit by a car -- to avoid vet bills and allegedly to end the animal's "suffering" tried to beat it to death with a shovel.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-01-2013, 04:41 PM
ok got it.. kill pigeon = OK killing pigeon and giggling about it = NOT OK

Evil_monster

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
16-01-2013, 04:49 PM
(16-01-2013 04:19 PM)Vera Wrote:  
Don't tell me you don't see the difference? It's not even about the type of animal. It's about taking a life for the fun of it. And deriving pleasure from the suffering of another living being.
No, I see the difference.

I'm just saying that pigeons are nasty pests and should be dealt with accordingly.

Rat poison causes severe suffering for the rodent, but I doubt you've felt sympathy towards the numerous rats that are killed by poison.

In Oklahoma (maybe Texas?), there is a rattlesnake roundup where they slaughter thousands of rattlesnakes for no reason other than making a circus out of it.

Not many people cried over this, I'm guessing.

The sympathy towards certain animals is relative. In Western Culture, we adore cats and dogs; however, in Korean culture, they torture and eat them.

I hate pigeons. I can't have much sympathy for them. Doesn't mean I actively seek them out to make them suffer, but I can understand the mindset behind this "pigeon toss".

I actually find rodents cuter - speaking of - yes, they are completely different animals, but rats deserve more of our sympathy because they are more closely related (there is a topic on cuteness that is informative).

My point is, pets are pets and pests are pests... according to a relative point of view.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
16-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Putting out rat poison is pest control and serves a role in disease prevention. Killing for sport is unnecessary cruelty.
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
16-01-2013, 04:57 PM
(16-01-2013 04:49 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 04:19 PM)Vera Wrote:  Don't tell me you don't see the difference? It's not even about the type of animal. It's about taking a life for the fun of it. And deriving pleasure from the suffering of another living being.

No, I see the difference.

I'm just saying that pigeons are nasty pests and should be dealt with accordingly.

Rat poison causes severe suffering for the rodent, but I doubt you've felt sympathy towards the numerous rats that are killed by poison.

In Oklahoma (maybe Texas?), there is a rattlesnake roundup where they slaughter thousands of rattlesnakes for no reason other than making a circus out of it.

The sympathy towards certain animals is relative. In Western Culture, we adore cats and dogs; however, in Korean culture, they torture and eat them.

I hate pigeons. I can't have much sympathy for them. Doesn't mean I actively seek them out to make them suffer, but I can understand the mindset behind this "pigeon toss".

I actually find rodents cuter - speaking of - yes, they are completely different animals, but rats deserve more of our sympathy because they are more closely related (there is a topic on cuteness that is informative).

My point is, pets are pets and pests are pests... according to a relative point of view.

The justification is there(pest control) we are getting rid of "pests" .. but I do understand where they are coming from... This is def mainly done as target practice for other bird hunting and pure fun to laugh at the idiocracy of it. I can't say I can justify my means by pest control for me personally it was just a competition- I just have absolutely no feelings towards a pigeon. I doubt his life flashed before him when he fell to the ground.. or spent an hour limping around waiting to die. Just being honest...

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
16-01-2013, 04:58 PM
(16-01-2013 04:49 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  No, I see the difference.

Yes. Yes I do feel sympathy for any animal that is suffering (and that includes insects, that have lost wings or legs, for example).

We once got given some fish someone had caught. About an hour later, there was this rustling sound from the bag where they were. Turns out, they were still alive. It almost made me physically sick, the mere thought of them struggling for oxygen and dying oh so slowly. (We put them in water... and the cats ate them - now that I didn't feel sorry for, it was quick and just the natural order of things Tongue ).

I've been in a house where a mousetrap went on, catching a mouse (by hitting it over the neck), but not killing it straight away. It was horrific.

I have other examples, but I don't see the point in going on. Suffering is horrific no matter who is suffering. Doing it for fun is immensely worse.

And like I said, it's not even about the animal. It's about the incredible cruelty of our arrogance as a species. It's the same reason why I'm against the death penalty - it worries me more what it does to the one that's doing the killing.

Deriving any pleasure from the (unwanted) pain of another is sick.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
16-01-2013, 05:05 PM
(16-01-2013 04:57 PM)k37713 Wrote:  The justification is there(pest control) we are getting rid of "pests" .. but I do understand where they are coming from... This is def mainly done as target practice for other bird hunting and pure fun to laugh at the idiocracy of it. I can't say I can justify my means by pest control for me personally it was just a competition- I just have absolutely no feelings towards a pigeon. I doubt his life flashed before him when he fell to the ground.. or spent an hour limping around waiting to die. Just being honest...

So by pest control you mean these are pigeons caught in city's and not as I suspect pigeons bred specifically for shooting?
16-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Vera, while I'm not as sympathetic as you, I don't derive pleasure from animal suffering; nor do I practice it.

I'm just saying, I can understand the "why" and "how" this came to be. Pigeons are loathsome, annoying creatures, and I can understand why people would express their frustration with their annoying nature in this way - in the say way why I can understand why people do the "Rattlesnake Roundup".

If there is an animal in the house (spider, snake, anole, gecko), I'll usually catch it and put it outside.

Not roaches or flies, though. I smash them.

16-01-2013, 05:11 PM
(16-01-2013 05:05 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 04:57 PM)k37713 Wrote:  The justification is there(pest control) we are getting rid of "pests" .. but I do understand where they are coming from... This is def mainly done as target practice for other bird hunting and pure fun to laugh at the idiocracy of it. I can't say I can justify my means by pest control for me personally it was just a competition- I just have absolutely no feelings towards a pigeon. I doubt his life flashed before him when he fell to the ground.. or spent an hour limping around waiting to die. Just being honest...

So by pest control you mean these are pigeons caught in city's and not as I suspect pigeons bred specifically for shooting?
That's what I gathered.