Pinewood Derby science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Pinewood Derby science
One of my fondest memories as a kid was building and racing pinewood derby cars with my dad. My dad was an aeronautics engineer, so he knew all this science. We never lost, not once.

So, if you have a kid that is doing pinewood derby, or just want to learn some science, watch this video. It's really interesting how little things can greatly alter the car's speed.

I still have a few of my championship cars on my shelf o memories.

She turned me into a NEWT. I got better, though.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
25-04-2014, 12:11 PM
RE: Pinewood Derby science
Ha. I won everything. My dad was an engineer when we were in pinewoodderby

Insulting me will convert me real fast!
MSBB:
Don't let anyone define who you are.
Me:
Can we define him as he defines himself? Or will he define himself as we define how he defines himself? But, if we do that, will we define him as he defines himself based on our definition of how we see him define himself?
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
26-04-2014, 08:18 AM
I remember I insisted that my dad help me make the batmobile for my pinewood car.

It........didn't quite end up as the batmobile. But we still got third place for design. Car didn't race worth shit. Rolleyes

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
28-04-2014, 08:21 AM
My fastest car ever. All 4 wheels are in precise alignment, had been lubed with graphite powder, and had almost no wobble at all. There are several lead weights in the back of the car for optimal weight distribution and put it at the absolute maximum allowed weight. I almost felt bad for the competition, almost. Everyone else was just racing for second that year, it wasn't even close.

[Image: LlWBTWx.jpg]

And yes, that's "The Flash" symbol on the car. It was appropriate, and he was my favorite super hero at the time.

She turned me into a NEWT. I got better, though.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister