Piracy? What's Your Opinion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Piracy? What's Your Opinion?
I pay for when I can. My health meaning replacing canes , medicine, sunglasses , rent, clothes, gloves (so I don't get calluses from the cane), hair care, doctors appointments all come first. I spend about 40.00 dollars a month on books, music, and other media.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2013, 04:55 PM
RE: Piracy? What's Your Opinion?
I have a tendency grab the HBO and SHOtime stuff when no one is looking.
22-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Are you talking about stealing music, or high seas piracy? Tongue

Find all posts by this user
22-08-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm generally against it, but I'm not above watching something someone else has downloaded. Likewise if I'm watching something online and the site has ads I more or less assume what I'm watching is legal.

In general I prefer a model like subbable.com to traditional copyright and license, but I'm not sure how broadly applicable that model will be in the long term. It's nice at least to see the competition between the two models and hopefully that will see some innovation occurring.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
22-08-2013, 06:28 PM
I pirate a lot of movies on thepiratebay but thats pretty much it.

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]
[+] 3 users Like elegant_atheist's post
22-08-2013, 06:43 PM
If you know how to get it for free and you're smart enough to not download viruses or anything other than what you intended to download, you're a fool not to.

Intellectual property is fraud. I can go to the library and get a book, I can give you a book, I can make a copy of a CD for myself or to give away, I can record straight from my radio. But I can't download from the internet without paying someone for it???? I don't think so.

Lars Ullrich and Metallica can blow me for acting like Napster ever hurt them. Sharing is love.

CopyHeart (Not CopyRight)
[+] 4 users Like Regular_Joe's post
22-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Anything the original creators no longer hold rights to?
Fair game.

Anything unavailable in your region?
Fair game.

Anything unavailable as a new release?
Fair game.

You might be breaking the letter of the law, but not the spirit.

... this is my signature!
22-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Unless it's theft on the high sea it's not piracy Drinking Beverage

It's not piracy, it's not theft. At most it can be argued to be "counterfeiting". Product wise, the consumer knows what they're getting so even that label doesn't work.

Digital copying is in a category all of its own.

Additional thoughts...

Current laws concerning Intellectual Property, Copyrights, Trademarks, and Branding restricts access to products and information that could be more easily dispersed and more cheaply and efficient reproduced or expanded on.

I blame the outdated profit motives of industries (example. entertainers are beginning to make more money touring, than selling their product in stores) and relying on "middlemen" (digital markets allow to cut out the middlemen for marketing, production, and distribution, meaning more profits for the producers).

In short, if I could download a car, I would. And with viable 3D PRINTERS only being a decade or so away, I just might Thumbsup
[+] 3 users Like PoolBoyG's post
22-08-2013, 09:38 PM
It's a double edged sword, as far as music concerned. Yeah, Lars can suck a dick for being a douche about this shit. Hell, Metallica got their start from the bootleg tape business.

I agree with what he said initially, however artists adapted quickly and the internet actually became an easy avenue for talented unknown bands to get noticed and progress their careers. This was excellent for music.

The problem is that everyone has an in, now you have to wade through an interwebs swamp worth of absolute shit in order to hear something promising, if you even care about good music anymore.

The caveat to that is, it's a catalyst for the cream to rise to the top so we still get the best of the best from time to time, only the brew is so diluted now that it's impossible to stay afloat without being drown again by the crap.

I'm not sure where I stand ethically. But I'm broke as shit so I get what I can for free. Big Grin

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
22-08-2013, 09:55 PM
It's theft.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]