Piracy? What's Your Opinion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2013, 11:28 PM
RE: Piracy? What's Your Opinion?
(22-08-2013 11:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-08-2013 11:18 PM)nach_in Wrote:  yeah Chas, we're already talked about this and we won't agree. Drinking Beverage

You steal my software or photographs and I'll prosecute. You have no right to them.

Smokin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2013, 02:39 AM
I pay for everything I can afford. Which means almost nothing. In my teens I grew up on government welfare with no means to earn a buck on the side, so that probably deformed my morals for life. Of course I regret I can't support some of my favorite artists and game designers, so I sometimes do and sometimes paying is the only way. But other than that, I don't hesitate to download anything. In my country, downloading is legal, for those legalists around you. The media rhetorics and lawyers constantly attack it (and break copyright themselves!) but my country is undergoing a pan-government mafia scandal, so nothing is surprising. Compared to that, we're all honest and flawless people, who don't steal hundreds of million dollars a year from the tax money of our fellow men.

Yes, intellectual property is a fraud. A business model usually lasts for 7-11 years till it's useless. Distributor companies lobbied at the government for making their business model last 70 years, after the author's death. That's what anti-piracy laws are, big business resisting new technology with government power.

And there are assholes among filmmakers who have the gall to sue web storage spaces for posting their film, when
- it was shitty to begin with,
- they got our tax money to make it from the National cinematography fund,
- it ran in cinemas years ago,
- the film can be bought for 1 dollar in street stands.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
23-08-2013, 02:46 AM
(22-08-2013 06:43 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  Lars Ulrich

(22-08-2013 09:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's theft.

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]
23-08-2013, 04:31 AM
(22-08-2013 06:43 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  If you know how to get it for free and you're smart enough to not download viruses or anything other than what you intended to download, you're a fool not to.

Does not knowing make me more or less of a fool?

Huh

23-08-2013, 04:54 AM
I have absolutely zero issue with "pirating" TV shows. And that's what the bulk of my downloads are. I pay ridiculous amounts of money for my TV service, so I have zero issues with downloading a copy of a show that I may not be able to watch because my DVR won't let me record more than a couple of shows at a time. I also pay for and use Netflix where applicable.

Music wise, I purchase albums of artists I support. I go to their concerts, wear their gear, etc... But I'm not going to pay $10 for an album because of one song I want to listen to a few times, then forget. I don't even want to pay the $.99 for one song that I will end up forgetting in a week, either. In those cases I'll obtain said music through unofficial channels and end up deleting eventually.

Movies, I get out to the theater when I can, other times I will Redbox or Netflix. I won't say that I have never obtained a copy of a movie illegally, because I'd be lying, but I try my very best to avoid it.

Software, I pay for. Almost always. I say almost because I have copies of software, obtained through questionable means, that I have purchased before. While I can't say that's 100% okay, I feel fine about it since I had paid for it at least once before, and probably misplaced or destroyed the disc in one of my many moves. I don't copy software I haven't paid for.

Books I never even think about pirating. I buy my books in wonderful, lovely, physical paper format, and I will continue to do that until I have no other option.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
23-08-2013, 05:13 AM
(23-08-2013 04:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(22-08-2013 06:43 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  If you know how to get it for free and you're smart enough to not download viruses or anything other than what you intended to download, you're a fool not to.

Does not knowing make me more or less of a fool?

Huh

Chill out, as long as you have a system restore point them viruses ain't no problem

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]
23-08-2013, 05:43 AM
I pirate everything, music, TV, movies, video games, programs (you're fucking dreaming if you think I'm gonna pay $200 for photoshop when I can get it for free...).
Do I consider it stealing? Yes, of course it's stealing. Anyone who say's it's not stealing is an idiot.
Do I have a problem with me doing this? Nope.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
23-08-2013, 06:44 AM
This is an issue with at least two sides. Content creator and content consumer have a complex relationship where the creator wants to be paid and isn't necessarily capable of producing unless they can be paid, while the content consumer wants at the very least convenience and access and at most a free product.

Old business models have failed to transfer to the Web. Content creators have failed to keep up with the demands for access to new information, and legal encumbrances associated with content have been difficult to work with. Pirated content is partly a response to a market failure and works because it provides ready access to content at a low cost with no immediate legal implications for users.

A third side is the content "recreator" who wants to use existing content as part of their own. This is partly legally protected activity in the form of parody and other forms of fair use, however there has been a market failure here also where works that could be interpreted into others are not necessarily available either readily enough or cheaply enough.

Filling the gap left by the market failure along with piracy are free community sources of content, but these don't allow for widespread full time content creation. A hybrid model like subbble.com allows for supporters to donate to content providers, thereby supporting them... but still allowing for free, readily accessible and legally unencumbered content for the consumer market, the creator market or both.

It's still not clear whether the community and hybrid models will provide a complete market solution, and I think there will always be at least a small market for traditional pay-per-copy or pay-per-view content. To the extent that their business model is appropriate for that particular content I find it unethical to subvert the model. I would prefer to pay for content or to use content that is available under agreeable terms.

As for the broad issue of whether piracy hurts anyone, it's still a complex issue even at that base level. Piracy is partly free advertising, and some who pirate still purchase what they like as a means of support to the content creator... a kind of involuntary subbable model imposed by the customer on the content producer. However there is no question that the amount of money I can charge for my creation is significantly reduced if people can buy it from someone else at a much lower price. If my content was costly to produce I may not be able to make a sufficient return to justify the content creation, and if I cannot do so I'll not be able to produce the content.

Overall most of the content I consume is available to me under agreeable terms. The content is youtube content or online articles, or anime on advertising-supported sites that I assume to be legal. Even so I feel I have a social contract to return content in kind so I produce youtube videos alongside consuming them, just as in an earlier life I produced blog content as well as consuming it. I avoid pirating books, music and movies. If they aren't available under agreeable terms I'll tend not to consume them at all.

Movies I'm happy to watch at the theatre where my local cinema charges less that $10 for a new release. Music I don't listen to much and if I do is often on youtube. Books I purchase in ebook or audio book format - amazon is relatively cheap and certainly convenient enough. Anime - online. For content creation I tend to rely on community content. For everything else there's youtube.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
23-08-2013, 06:47 AM
Is it stealing? Yup.

Do I have a problem with it? Nope.

I'm going to use music as my example....when you pirate music, what you are doing is forcing big name musicians to make a legitimate living. That is, you are making them WORK for their money. A musician can make millions touring and playing shows. This is already a disproportionate amount of money for what they do. (it takes as much, of not more talent to build a piece of furniture. How come carpenters aren't all millionaires?) These spoiled fucks want to make a bunch of extra cash they don,t need, while regular artists have to struggle and work their way through by playing their music. Read that again. The part about making a living by PLAYING THEIR MUSIC. Cuz that's what they should do.

And Chas, if someone steals your shit.....shame on them for taking what isn't theirs. And shame on you for not protecting what's yours.

Just visiting.

-SR
23-08-2013, 06:55 AM
I have litterally never spent money on songs,movies,books,programs and anything else i forgot. I have 2 library cards. Books are expensive. I download everything for free. I never spent a dime on the internet. Yes,its stealing. But who will notice?

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping