Piracy? What's Your Opinion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Piracy? What's Your Opinion?
(23-08-2013 05:13 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 04:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Does not knowing make me more or less of a fool?

Huh

Chill out, as long as you have a system restore point them viruses ain't no problem

Ah, I see.

So not knowing how to download anything means I'll never catch a cold.

Result.

Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2013, 07:11 AM
(23-08-2013 06:47 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I'm going to use music as my example....when you pirate music, what you are doing is forcing big name musicians to make a legitimate living. That is, you are making them WORK for their money. A musician can make millions touring and playing shows.

I would venture a guess that most, if not all, of the musicians I listen to (even the better known ones) are far from millionares. They work hard enough for what they get, and as an appreciative fan, I should buck up and leave a tip for the service that they provide.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
23-08-2013, 07:15 AM
(23-08-2013 07:11 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 06:47 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I'm going to use music as my example....when you pirate music, what you are doing is forcing big name musicians to make a legitimate living. That is, you are making them WORK for their money. A musician can make millions touring and playing shows.

I would venture a guess that most, if not all, of the musicians I listen to (even the better known ones) are far from millionares. They work hard enough for what they get, and as an appreciative fan, I should buck up and leave a tip for the service that they provide.

Me too! In fact, I make it a point to go to shows so I can show my support for musicians I like. (the millionaires part of my post was to illustrates that there are extremes within the entertainment industry that do not exist elsewhere. Sorry. Poorly explained) I, like you, would leave a tip for all the musicians l like. But there's no way in hell I'm paying to play their music in my home. Not unless they show up and play it live.

Just visiting.

-SR
23-08-2013, 07:23 AM
(23-08-2013 07:15 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 07:11 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I would venture a guess that most, if not all, of the musicians I listen to (even the better known ones) are far from millionares. They work hard enough for what they get, and as an appreciative fan, I should buck up and leave a tip for the service that they provide.

Me too! In fact, I make it a point to go to shows so I can show my support for musicians I like. (the millionaires part of my post was to illustrates that there are extremes within the entertainment industry that do not exist elsewhere. Sorry. Poorly explained) I, like you, would leave a tip for all the musicians l like. But there's no way in hell I'm paying to play their music in my home. Not unless they show up and play it live.

Well sure, but fairer than that I think a one time tip by actually buying an album is enough to suffice. Then it's yours to play in your home all you like.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
23-08-2013, 07:48 AM
If I could buy an album for a reasonable price, I just might. Problem is, any more than a dollar, and it's highway robbery. Which begs the question; how do musicians (especially wealthy ones) justify charging what they do?

Just visiting.

-SR
23-08-2013, 07:52 AM
(23-08-2013 07:48 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  If I could buy an album for a reasonable price, I just might. Problem is, any more than a dollar, and it's highway robbery. Which begs the question; how do musicians (especially wealthy ones) justify charging what they do?

When you buy an album, how much of that money do you think actually makes it to the musician? It's highway robbery for sure, but not by the artist. Maybe all bands should set up a direct donation option.

~ Umberto Eco
23-08-2013, 08:07 AM
(23-08-2013 06:47 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Is it stealing? Yup.

Do I have a problem with it? Nope.

I'm going to use music as my example....when you pirate music, what you are doing is forcing big name musicians to make a legitimate living. That is, you are making them WORK for their money. A musician can make millions touring and playing shows. This is already a disproportionate amount of money for what they do. (it takes as much, of not more talent to build a piece of furniture. How come carpenters aren't all millionaires?) These spoiled fucks want to make a bunch of extra cash they don,t need, while regular artists have to struggle and work their way through by playing their music. Read that again. The part about making a living by PLAYING THEIR MUSIC. Cuz that's what they should do.

And Chas, if someone steals your shit.....shame on them for taking what isn't theirs. And shame on you for not protecting what's yours.

That's why I protect my shit - patents and copyrights.. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2013, 08:10 AM
(23-08-2013 08:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 06:47 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Is it stealing? Yup.

Do I have a problem with it? Nope.

I'm going to use music as my example....when you pirate music, what you are doing is forcing big name musicians to make a legitimate living. That is, you are making them WORK for their money. A musician can make millions touring and playing shows. This is already a disproportionate amount of money for what they do. (it takes as much, of not more talent to build a piece of furniture. How come carpenters aren't all millionaires?) These spoiled fucks want to make a bunch of extra cash they don,t need, while regular artists have to struggle and work their way through by playing their music. Read that again. The part about making a living by PLAYING THEIR MUSIC. Cuz that's what they should do.

And Chas, if someone steals your shit.....shame on them for taking what isn't theirs. And shame on you for not protecting what's yours.

That's why I protect my shit - patents and copyrights.. Thumbsup

That's the point of this thread, though. Copyrights don't mean shit because of the internet.

That's why I have to side with Lars in the napster argument, even though I hate the asshole.

~ Umberto Eco
23-08-2013, 08:23 AM
(23-08-2013 08:10 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 08:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  That's why I protect my shit - patents and copyrights.. Thumbsup

That's the point of this thread, though. Copyrights don't mean shit because of the internet.

That's why I have to side with Lars in the napster argument, even though I hate the asshole.

Copyright means what it has always meant. Are you confusing access/reproducibility with legality/enforcement?

Casual use of images is vastly easier with the internet, but that's pretty much Fair Use, and legal.

Use of copyrighted material for financial gain is still actionable and the thieves are made to pay damages.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2013, 08:27 AM
(23-08-2013 07:52 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 07:48 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  If I could buy an album for a reasonable price, I just might. Problem is, any more than a dollar, and it's highway robbery. Which begs the question; how do musicians (especially wealthy ones) justify charging what they do?

When you buy an album, how much of that money do you think actually makes it to the musician? It's highway robbery for sure, but not by the artist. Maybe all bands should set up a direct donation option.

That's an excellent idea! I've donated to several musicians on kickstarter and the like. I do know that production costs are high, but that's just another aspect of the industry that remains unbalanced.

I re read the thread. There's some interesting points from both sides. Perhaps my view is too narrow since I am thinking mostly in terms of music. Heathen, what do you think about things like kickstarter? A system where regular Joes like me can make a small contribution to get a new artist going. Then they can produce their first song/album, release it to the public, and then get the exposure they need to sell tickets to the venues they play?

Just visiting.

-SR