Piracy? What's Your Opinion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2013, 02:45 PM
RE: Piracy? What's Your Opinion?
(23-08-2013 02:07 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 01:45 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Semantics.....

No it's not just semantics, is a discussion about what is protected and why, theft protects scarce goods because of that scarcity and because the effort to obtain the goods is too much to leave it unprotected.
Copyright protects the copies of a work of art or science to encourage people to keep doing it. The effort is a lot too and should be protected, but the goods are not scarce, a book can be read and copied almost infinitely and nothing is lost. The way property is violated is completely different and it has different effects and different rights are in play.

Our current economic system makes abundant things free, and that's the issue:
How can we guarantee income to those who make the effort of making art and science without limiting access to that work to anyone else?

That's why business models and laws are wrong, because they create an artificial scarcity of something that is abundant so it can be charged. I'm not against artist and scientists to get paid for their work, that'd be absurd. I'm also not against people having access to art and education for free or as cheaply as possible, that also would be absurd...
For now we have a broken system, piracy is an escape valve for the abuses of the industry, and ever more restrictive laws are the reaction for the abusers of piracy... It's an equilibrium but it's unstable and it generates too much collateral damage (artist that can't make a dime, people who can't read a book, etc). But only a handful of people seem to be trying to find a better way to make things. And confusing the words and their meanings doesn't help.

So it's OK to ignore laws with which one does not agree. Consider

And you're in law school? How's that working for you?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2013, 02:50 PM
(23-08-2013 02:42 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 02:07 PM)nach_in Wrote:  No it's not just semantics, is a discussion about what is protected and why, theft protects scarce goods because of that scarcity and because the effort to obtain the goods is too much to leave it unprotected.
Copyright protects the copies of a work of art or science to encourage people to keep doing it. The effort is a lot too and should be protected, but the goods are not scarce, a book can be read and copied almost infinitely and nothing is lost. The way property is violated is completely different and it has different effects and different rights are in play.

Our current economic system makes abundant things free, and that's the issue:
How can we guarantee income to those who make the effort of making art and science without limiting access to that work to anyone else?

That's why business models and laws are wrong, because they create an artificial scarcity of something that is abundant so it can be charged. I'm not against artist and scientists to get paid for their work, that'd be absurd. I'm also not against people having access to art and education for free or as cheaply as possible, that also would be absurd...
For now we have a broken system, piracy is an escape valve for the abuses of the industry, and ever more restrictive laws are the reaction for the abusers of piracy... It's an equilibrium but it's unstable and it generates too much collateral damage (artist that can't make a dime, people who can't read a book, etc). But only a handful of people seem to be trying to find a better way to make things. And confusing the words and their meanings doesn't help.

Well said and agreed. Didn't mean to try to confuse the issue, I just say what comes to mind. Sometimes my mind isn't as well spoken. Sorry.

Thumbsup

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
23-08-2013, 02:54 PM
This thread is quite the study of rationalizing one's behavior. Dodgy

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
23-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Does anyone know whether I could be thrown in jail for still having a VHS tape with a Bulls-Knicks game from the 90's on it? Undecided

I'm not going to reproduce millions of copies of it to distribute on the street for profit, so if you didn't wish for me to record it and watch it later, you probably shouldn't have surrounded all those people who bought tickets to the game with TV CAMERAS! If I can't go back and erase a post I made on this forum (which I'm perfectly fine with), then those who broadcast their "product" to 40 million viewers are just going to have to eat it, too!

As far as music is concerned, I'm going to have to agree with Stark. The one thing I can't download from the internet is being in an amphitheater for a live performance being blasted out of a wall of speakers as tall as my house! So if you want to get paid for your art ..... then get your ass on stage and actually engage in it by playing your musical instruments!

23-08-2013, 03:54 PM
I still buy music the traditional way, ....because I'm too lazy (or dumb) to make my own CD's Dodgy
I do make my own DVD's. But I rent the originals from redbox, or pay netflix to send them to me, so someone's getting paid, and I get a DVD that doesn't cost $20 or more!
win win, I say!

23-08-2013, 03:55 PM
(23-08-2013 03:45 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Does anyone know whether I could be thrown in jail for still having a VHS tape with a Bulls-Knicks game from the 90's on it? Undecided

I'm not going to reproduce millions of copies of it to distribute on the street for profit, so if you didn't wish for me to record it and watch it later, you probably shouldn't have surrounded all those people who bought tickets to the game with TV CAMERAS! If I can't go back and erase a post I made on this forum (which I'm perfectly fine with), then those who broadcast their "product" to 40 million viewers are just going to have to eat it, too!

As far as music is concerned, I'm going to have to agree with Stark. The one thing I can't download from the internet is being in an amphitheater for a live performance being blasted out of a wall of speakers as tall as my house! So if you want to get paid for your art ..... then get your ass on stage and actually engage in it by playing your musical instruments!

That puts it a bit more in perspective.
(23-08-2013 03:45 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  So if you want to get paid for your art ..... then get your ass on stage and actually engage in it by playing your musical instruments!

Come see a gig sometime! Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
23-08-2013, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2013 04:54 PM by TheGulegon.)
(23-08-2013 03:55 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 03:45 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Does anyone know whether I could be thrown in jail for still having a VHS tape with a Bulls-Knicks game from the 90's on it? Undecided

That puts it a bit more in perspective.
(23-08-2013 03:45 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  So if you want to get paid for your art ..... then get your ass on stage and actually engage in it by playing your musical instruments!

Come see a gig sometime! Tongue

Keep me posted on your schedule, then! Smile
I would say you could post some of your music on here, but I couldn't promise I wouldn't steal some of it Tongue

23-08-2013, 07:44 PM
(22-08-2013 04:53 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I pay for when I can. My health meaning replacing canes , medicine, sunglasses , rent, clothes, gloves (so I don't get calluses from the cane), hair care, doctors appointments all come first. I spend about 40.00 dollars a month on books, music, and other media.

It's intellectual property theft.

As far as music goes, the record companies brought this mess on themselves when they originally refused to sell music as a digital download and demanded that the user buy CDs and records. I also see the same things with movie studios and television program production companies, terrestrial radio stations, and cable TV providers who can't adapt with the times and and market to a changing audience.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
23-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Locking down Megaupload decreased the overall film industry profit by 12 %, according to this study.

http://translate.google.cz/translate?sl=...lesly-o-12
23-08-2013, 08:45 PM
(22-08-2013 11:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  You steal my software or photographs and I'll prosecute. You have no right to them.

That's not what Instagram says. Big Grin Whatever photos you post are automatically theirs, and if they use them for ads or sell them to companies, you get no profit from it, even if it is a picture of you.

I'm going to agree with Earmuffs and Stark here. It is stealing, but I don't really care. To be honest, Ferdy is probably the queen of pirating music and vidya games. Sad