Piracy? What's Your Opinion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2013, 08:55 PM
RE: Piracy? What's Your Opinion?
(23-08-2013 08:09 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Locking down Megaupload decreased the overall film industry profit by 12 %, according to this study.

http://translate.google.cz/translate?sl=...lesly-o-12

It says that online films allowed for greater access to the population which resulted in free advertisement and word of mouth - getting more people to see the film.

Double edge sword mind you. If the film is poor, it's going to suffer more than it would have - not being able to fool people to see it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2013, 04:06 AM
(23-08-2013 08:45 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(22-08-2013 11:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  You steal my software or photographs and I'll prosecute. You have no right to them.

That's not what Instagram says. Big Grin Whatever photos you post are automatically theirs, and if they use them for ads or sell them to companies, you get no profit from it, even if it is a picture of you.

I'm going to agree with Earmuffs and Stark here. It is stealing, but I don't really care. To be honest, Ferdy is probably the queen of pirating music and vidya games. Sad

If you post to Instagram then you have assigned copyright - it is in their terms of use.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-08-2013, 08:07 AM
(23-08-2013 08:55 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  It says that online films allowed for greater access to the population which resulted in free advertisement and word of mouth - getting more people to see the film.

Double edge sword mind you. If the film is poor, it's going to suffer more than it would have - not being able to fool people to see it.
From the POV of the film industry yes, a double-edged sword. From the POV of common people, it's a win/win. Pirates are the natural predators to select out the big, slow and stupid film studios with a walnut-sized brain, that make huge films with flashy effects and trashy science.
We need pirates to keep the quality high, to destroy those too big to fail. Pirates are good! Cool
24-08-2013, 08:24 AM
(23-08-2013 02:54 PM)Anjele Wrote:  This thread is quite the study of rationalizing one's behavior. Dodgy

Isn't everything? Including your post. And this one of mine.

Pardon me, I need to go check my download of the entire Who music catalog. And some Japanese instrumental versions of Metallica. And a Salvador Dali impersonator reproduction of Van Gogh's Starry Night.
[+] 2 users Like Regular_Joe's post
24-08-2013, 11:25 AM
(24-08-2013 08:24 AM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 02:54 PM)Anjele Wrote:  This thread is quite the study of rationalizing one's behavior. Dodgy

Isn't everything? Including your post. And this one of mine.

Pardon me, I need to go check my download of the entire Who music catalog. And some Japanese instrumental versions of Metallica. And a Salvador Dali impersonator reproduction of Van Gogh's Starry Night.

Actually, no. Every post isn't a rationalization.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
29-08-2013, 07:07 AM
I love the fact that I can download what ever I want and save it, or watch it and then delete it as I like. Makes me feel ... rich.

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
29-08-2013, 07:15 PM
(29-08-2013 07:07 AM)Filox Wrote:  I love the fact that I can download what ever I want and save it, or watch it and then delete it as I like. Makes me feel ... rich.

Big Grin

Filox the piracy diva.
30-08-2013, 04:58 AM
(23-08-2013 08:45 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(22-08-2013 11:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  You steal my software or photographs and I'll prosecute. You have no right to them.

That's not what Instagram says. Big Grin Whatever photos you post are automatically theirs, and if they use them for ads or sell them to companies, you get no profit from it, even if it is a picture of you.

I'm going to agree with Earmuffs and Stark here. It is stealing, but I don't really care. To be honest, Ferdy is probably the queen of pirating music and vidya games. Sad

Pffff... you got nothing on me man!

I've left a computer on months at a time with reasonably high bandwidth internet. Downloading tonnes and uploading countless terrabytes to various internet connections around the world.

The system is broken. Seriously. The stuff I download I can live without. Allot of that shit is just time wastage. I'd probably be better off without it.

I think individuals and artist should get money, but question the large monopolies that act as middlemen and gate keepers to the entertainment industry.

In two short words. Fuck em!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
30-08-2013, 05:48 AM
A few years ago, I had a conversation with two producers. I admitted to them I became a fan when I was given a burnt disc of their show. They laughed saying piracy has its merits.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
30-08-2013, 11:16 AM
I was at the latin america and caribbean internet governance forum the past three days (that's just me showing off), and I heard a quite interesting opinion about piracy. A guy said that the industry need piracy to keep a hold of what products get in the market. They can take down whatever they want by claiming something is pirated, but piracy keeps ideas flowing allowing for new art to come up from time to time and the industry is there to absorb it and profit from it.
Take Justin Bieber for instance, he started on youtube singing covers, he was a pirate of those songs, but some guy saw potential and turned him into profit.
They don't loose money with piracy, it's an investment that allow them to control the market.

It's an interesting point imo...

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post