Piracy? What's Your Opinion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2013, 12:31 PM
RE: Piracy? What's Your Opinion?
(30-08-2013 11:16 AM)nach_in Wrote:  I was at the latin america and caribbean internet governance forum the past three days (that's just me showing off), and I heard a quite interesting opinion about piracy. A guy said that the industry need piracy to keep a hold of what products get in the market. They can take down whatever they want by claiming something is pirated, but piracy keeps ideas flowing allowing for new art to come up from time to time and the industry is there to absorb it and profit from it.
Take Justin Bieber for instance, he started on youtube singing covers, he was a pirate of those songs, but some guy saw potential and turned him into profit.
They don't loose money with piracy, it's an investment that allow them to control the market.

It's an interesting point imo...

Singing covers for no money is not piracy. It falls under fair use.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2013, 12:44 PM
(30-08-2013 12:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-08-2013 11:16 AM)nach_in Wrote:  I was at the latin america and caribbean internet governance forum the past three days (that's just me showing off), and I heard a quite interesting opinion about piracy. A guy said that the industry need piracy to keep a hold of what products get in the market. They can take down whatever they want by claiming something is pirated, but piracy keeps ideas flowing allowing for new art to come up from time to time and the industry is there to absorb it and profit from it.
Take Justin Bieber for instance, he started on youtube singing covers, he was a pirate of those songs, but some guy saw potential and turned him into profit.
They don't loose money with piracy, it's an investment that allow them to control the market.

It's an interesting point imo...

Singing covers for no money is not piracy. It falls under fair use.

in the US, some places have more restrictive laws... And the point stands anyway

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
30-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Is it wrong? Maybe. Is it damaging? Absolutely! Proof below.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Dark Light's post