Pissed off a christian friend

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2015, 04:47 AM
Pissed off a christian friend
So I posted something to my wall about how to talk to an atheist and the comment from one friend was just amazing. The uneducated mess that I've known since middle school really doesn't get it. Her comment:

Quote:Well i guess people who dont believe just believe we die and rot, which is what will happen if theee is no heaven. Believing is a choice to have blind faith without knowing for sure. I like to say thank god when something good happens. But. I never, ever push someone who doesnt believe to believe. And i dont think people that dont believe need to talk about it

That last sentence.... just wow. So this is what I responded with:

Quote:Just as some have messaged me asking me why I continue to post atheist things on my wall, then the same can be asked of theists who continue to post religious things on their walls. The rights of theists don't get to trump the rights of atheists, just as the rights of atheists don't get to trump the rights of theists. Yes, I've received the private messages telling me I'm going to go to hell if I don't change my line of thinking. Funny, but since I don't believe in either heaven or hell, I'm not going in either direction.

Again, it's not about the lack of a belief for the atheist. It's about the existence of "proof" that theists have time and time again failed to deliver. And I will continue to challenge religion because just as much as someone has the right to have their faith and their beliefs, I have the right to question the reality of god. If this makes some people uncomfortable, then perhaps they should think about how uncomfortable it makes atheists when religious stuff is plastered all over facebook for everyone to see.

Theists cannot have it both ways. They cannot tell atheists to shut up and not question the reality of a god or gods and then proceed to post their own religious propaganda. If the theist has the right to post their beliefs, then I have the right to post my doubts, call the existence of god into question and require proof. And EVERYONE has the right to either read and become educated, debate and ask questions, or scroll past it to the next story in their news feed.

This simpleton doesn't even engage in a meaningful debate. What she does is basically tell me to shut up. She can't fathom the idea of anyone holding a logical argument asking for proof. She says all I have to do is have blind faith. She and I have gone rounds before and when I respond, it's with logic. When she responds, it's with the intent to shame me into silence.

I found this on her wall not too long after I posted my status:

Quote:People that dont believe in god dont need to tell everyone on fb about it. It is offensive. I believe, but im not broadcasting it.some people just always post stuff for attention and a reaction

So I responded with this:

Quote:Well I can see that this passive aggressive post was directed at me since it was posted not too long after I made my post so I'll just say this...people who believe in god do not have the right to try and oppress people whose belief systems don't align with theirs.

Newsflash I have not EVER told you that you don't have the right to believe in a deity. For you to take a post that I made about HOW to speak to an atheist as a personal attack is extremely shallow minded. This is a free country and just as you have the right to post religious memes and comments on YOUR wall I, too have the right to post what I want on my wall. If you are that uneducated in the right of freedom FROM religion, I suggest that you read our constitution and learn that your opinion is NOT the only opinion that is worthy of the right to expression. If it bothers you that much then unfriend me.

I will not keep quiet so that YOU can stay comfortable.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Judi Lynn's post
08-04-2015, 07:00 AM
RE: Pissed off a christian friend
It's just the internet.

Talking to internet friends is sort of like talking to god.

You don't really know if you're being paid attention to - or ignored.

But, at least with the internet - somebody can at least send you a "LOL" or a smiley face.

That's more than that "god" twat ever does......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
08-04-2015, 07:13 AM
Such things are to be expected on Facebook. It's the landfill of the Internet.
08-04-2015, 07:36 AM
You're thinking of YouTube comments, Maratiga.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
08-04-2015, 07:41 AM
(08-04-2015 07:36 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  You're thinking of YouTube comments, Maratiga.

No, they are the haunted abandoned insane asylum filled with ghosts of orphans and demon-possessed sharks built on a burial ground for psychic children of the Internet. Small difference.
[+] 5 users Like Maratiga's post
08-04-2015, 08:03 AM

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 2 users Like Alex K's post
08-04-2015, 08:22 AM
Sounds to me like your friend is insecure about her "faith". I'm getting that from when she said, "Believing is a choice to have blind faith without knowing for sure. [...] And i dont think people that dont believe need to talk about it"

First she describes believing as a choice, and not only a choice but an admittedly blind choice. Then she says she doesn't want to see what people who don't share her beliefs have to say. To me that sounds like it shakes her belief when she has to consider/hear that it might be wrong.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
08-04-2015, 08:26 AM
YEAYY Judy! Stick to your guns. You friend is just showing yet another example of christian privilege: "I can say whatever I want about my god, but keep your atheism to yourself". I don't consider myself an angry atheist, but I am fucking angry right now and you have the right to be too.
08-04-2015, 08:27 AM
Passive-aggressive christians who have confused persecution and disrespect with the fact that not everyone thinks like they do or holds the same opinions. Their idea of freedom of religion is the freedom to push their religion on you, but not the reverse.

I know a few people like that, and I just block them on facebook rather than deal with them. It is simpler that way.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
08-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Well here's the latest from her and from a friend of hers... she ranted pretty well but none of it was even worth debating. I really feel sad for her in a huge way.

friend Wrote:Well, i dont need proof, i just believe. If u find out there is a heaven, then god will forgive u for spreading the word that u dont believe. U shouldnt need physical proof. Do u have physical proof there is not a god?? Think about that one judy. And whether u believe or not, it is very offensive that u enjoy broadcasting that u dont believe. I never preach on my status or on the news feed. But when i see posts like yours, i feel the need to speak my mind judy.

her friend Wrote:I believe in god, very much so. But I don't think someone else stating their opinion or beliefs us offensive.

my friend’s response to that Wrote:She loves to put up posts about atheists, and its just to get a reaction. Why spread the word that u dont believe, when most people do. I think its just rude. Its like someone always putting up scriptures from the bible. No one needs to see that all the time. I believe in god. But at the say time, i believe religion is a private thing. If u believe, or dont believe u should keep it to yourself.

me Wrote:Actually it's not to get a reaction. And it is sad that you have ZERO clue about why I post what I want on my wall. I really wish you would stop assuming things. This is where your naivety and lack of education come in. Have you ever sat down with an atheist and asked them why they are a non-believer? Have you ever actually read your own bible and noticed all of the contradictions in it? Are you capable of having a healthy debate with an atheist or is the best you can come up with the fact that you:
1. Assume we all hate god
2. Assume we only do this to get attention
3. Should shut up about it

You have much to learn my friend and making general assumptions like the three aforementioned is not going to earn you favors. I will post what I want on my wall. When I want on my wall. And Why I want on my wall. We have some of the same friends who are VERY religious and I have NEVER once seen you take a stand and say "Hey, you know what... I think you need to stop posting all that religious stuff because I find it offensive. Never have You posted anything of the sort. Nope... you specifically target ME because my beliefs do NOT align with yours.

YOU are uneducated, misinformed and guided by a religion that has a god who is not a god of love. I would LOVE to see you actually try and debate the finer points of your religion but I know you can't because all you can do is tell me to shut up and not post anything. That's not going to happen.

from friend just now Wrote:Ok why dont u believe?? U said no proof already.. But, there is no way either of us know for sure until we die. And i dont see religious preaching, or i would say what i felt about it. But, i do not for the life of me see why anyone would want to post for everyone to see that they dont believe. Whats the point??

I am currently in the process of answering her question. She wants an easy answer, but I feel she deserves a much more educated answer rather than "because I want proof". No... this needs to be done in a way that will at least get her to stop being close-minded to anyone who doesn't align with her. I don't want to convert her. But I do think she needs to be educated. A LOT.