Pissed off a christian friend

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2015, 09:48 AM
RE: Pissed off a christian friend
I'd simply say that I don't find the proposition very plausible. If she wants to know why, she can ask, and better yet, is put in a position where she has to argue why it is plausible.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2015, 10:10 AM
She's got questions. Already from her response, I can tell that even she is questioning the existence of god, but she still hangs onto the blind faith. I'd love to give her a long answer that's chock full of information. I wish a few of you could hop on over there and help me educate her on this.
08-04-2015, 10:11 AM
No tengo facebook....

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
08-04-2015, 10:12 AM
Just ask her why she doesn't believe in Allah, or Zeus. I know it's typical, but it's fairly accurate. If she can understand why she doesn't believe in those gods, that will give her a huge hint as to why you don't believe in hers.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
08-04-2015, 10:15 AM
After the huge 100+ comment thread I got into (and other people chimed into) on my Facebook when I posted an article written by a former pastor about living good without God, I realized that it's almost not worth the energy to get into any argument with a believer. My Messianic friend is so deeply rooted in her newfound beliefs that anytime I asked a simple and unanswerable question, she'd hop to a different area of the topic.

There just comes a point where you're never going to get through to a believer no matter what well educated argument you have.

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
[+] 1 user Likes kristenkjordan's post
08-04-2015, 10:16 AM
(08-04-2015 10:15 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  There just comes a point where you're never going to get through to a believer no matter what well educated argument you have.

Don't give up so easily. But also don't expect a conversion on the spot, or even an admission that you might have a point, or you'll always be disappointed. That's not how human egos work Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
08-04-2015, 10:21 AM
(08-04-2015 10:16 AM)Alex K Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 10:15 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  There just comes a point where you're never going to get through to a believer no matter what well educated argument you have.

Don't give up so easily. But also don't expect a conversion on the spot, or even an admission that you might have a point, or you'll always be disappointed. That's not how human egos work Smile

Touche.

I'm still afraid to even post anything remotely non-religious on my page out of the possibility of getting into yet another argument with her or anyone else.

So for now, I just passive-aggressively "like" posts knowing that they'll likely end up on their newsfeed anyway. Rolleyes

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
[+] 3 users Like kristenkjordan's post
08-04-2015, 10:23 AM
Not 100% on topic as it's couched in a movie review, but he says some good things, also from the perspective of a former zealous evangelical Christian

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/camelswithh...-atheists/

It just came to mind because I've read it recently.

[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
08-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Thanks all. She's got doubts. Would like answers. I sent her three links I found. Hopefully they clear things up, but I doubt it. Since her last comment, I'm feeling she's one of the ones that sit on the fence about religion, trying to figure out which side to jump to.
08-04-2015, 10:33 AM
(08-04-2015 04:47 AM)Judi Lynn Wrote:  I found this on her wall not too long after I posted my status:

Quote:People that dont believe in god dont need to tell everyone on fb about it. It is offensive. I believe, but im not broadcasting it.some people just always post stuff for attention and a reaction

So I responded with this:

Quote:Well I can see that this passive aggressive post was directed at me since it was posted not too long after I made my post so I'll just say this...people who believe in god do not have the right to try and oppress people whose belief systems don't align with theirs.

Newsflash I have not EVER told you that you don't have the right to believe in a deity. For you to take a post that I made about HOW to speak to an atheist as a personal attack is extremely shallow minded. This is a free country and just as you have the right to post religious memes and comments on YOUR wall I, too have the right to post what I want on my wall. If you are that uneducated in the right of freedom FROM religion, I suggest that you read our constitution and learn that your opinion is NOT the only opinion that is worthy of the right to expression. If it bothers you that much then unfriend me.

I will not keep quiet so that YOU can stay comfortable.

Your answer was too long, in my opinion. You'd have done better to simply write, "If you don't like what I put on my own wall, don't read it: problem solved. Good day."