Pissed off a christian friend

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2015, 10:35 AM
RE: Pissed off a christian friend
A friend who's kinda religious (more the hippy dippy type of religious -- everyone goes to heaven if you're basically a good person type), post a thing from God saying something like 'all Christians are not bigots just like all atheists don't eat babies.'

A bunch of her religious friends found that super funny. I struggled with what I should say about it...I get it's supposed to be humorous. I wanted to say, "while atheists might joke about eating babies, I've yet to meet one who actually has. I've met many Christians who are in fact complete bigots."

In the end I let it go, but it still bugs me.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-04-2015, 10:37 AM
(08-04-2015 10:21 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  I'm still afraid to even post anything remotely non-religious on my page out of the possibility of getting into yet another argument with her or anyone else.

So for now, I just passive-aggressively "like" posts knowing that they'll likely end up on their newsfeed anyway. Rolleyes

I have posted quite a few things already this morning because of her comments on both of our walls.
I also have another friend who is what is described as a Progressive Christian. She has never once tried to steer me in a direction I didn't want to go. She's never made me feel bad for questioning religion. She's been very supportive and has even sent me links for my own learning. She's a good friend to debate with. When we talk, I never feel like there are arguments or circular talking. We have mutual respect for one another and that's how it should be.
She knows I'll post what I want to my wall. Many of my friends understand this and really don't seem bothered by it. It's just that one friend I have who went on an attack spree. But I sense I could potentially clear up her confusion if given enough time.
08-04-2015, 10:39 AM
(08-04-2015 10:35 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  A friend who's kinda religious (more the hippy dippy type of religious -- everyone goes to heaven if you're basically a good person type), post a thing from God saying something like 'all Christians are not bigots just like all atheists don't eat babies.'

A bunch of her religious friends found that super funny. I struggled with what I should say about it...I get it's supposed to be humorous. I wanted to say, "while atheists might joke about eating babies, I've yet to meet one who actually has. I've met many Christians who are in fact complete bigots."

I totally feel you on that. There are times when I've wanted to respond to some bs religious meme, but then thought.. I really need to learn to pick my battles more carefully.
[+] 2 users Like Judi Lynn's post
08-04-2015, 10:41 AM
(08-04-2015 10:35 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  A friend who's kinda religious (more the hippy dippy type of religious -- everyone goes to heaven if you're basically a good person type), post a thing from God saying something like 'all Christians are not bigots just like all atheists don't eat babies.'

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that statement. I'm sure even some Christians can agree that other Christians can be bigots. Rolleyes

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
[+] 1 user Likes kristenkjordan's post
08-04-2015, 10:47 AM
(08-04-2015 10:37 AM)Judi Lynn Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 10:21 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  I'm still afraid to even post anything remotely non-religious on my page out of the possibility of getting into yet another argument with her or anyone else.

So for now, I just passive-aggressively "like" posts knowing that they'll likely end up on their newsfeed anyway. Rolleyes

I have posted quite a few things already this morning because of her comments on both of our walls.
I also have another friend who is what is described as a Progressive Christian. She has never once tried to steer me in a direction I didn't want to go. She's never made me feel bad for questioning religion. She's been very supportive and has even sent me links for my own learning. She's a good friend to debate with. When we talk, I never feel like there are arguments or circular talking. We have mutual respect for one another and that's how it should be.
She knows I'll post what I want to my wall. Many of my friends understand this and really don't seem bothered by it. It's just that one friend I have who went on an attack spree. But I sense I could potentially clear up her confusion if given enough time.

I'm hoping that eventually get through to my friend. She's been one of my best friend's since high school and it really kind of tore me up to see her take such an extremist way of belief to the point where she's planning on homeschooling her kids and denying any and all vaccinations. Just paranoid all around.

On of her other best friends approached me on the possibility of an intervention and at first I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea, then I thought about it and thought maybe that'd be more disrespectful as I wouldn't like the same happening to me.

So really, I just get outspoken about my beliefs bc I feel I'd be disrespectful otherwise even though there are some times I see something that I agree with SO much and I want nothing more than to post it but I don't want to get the flack for it. Frusty

08-04-2015, 10:48 AM
An intervention?! How's that supposed to look like?

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
08-04-2015, 10:55 AM
(08-04-2015 10:48 AM)Alex K Wrote:  An intervention?! How's that supposed to look like?

From my Messianic friend's point of view? Probably something like her two best friends have been taken over by the Illuminati to perform the devil's work and steer her from the truth that is the "glory of God."

That's just one thought though...

08-04-2015, 10:56 AM
(08-04-2015 10:55 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 10:48 AM)Alex K Wrote:  An intervention?! How's that supposed to look like?

From my Messianic friend's point of view? Probably something like her two best friends have been taken over by the Illuminati to perform the devil's work and steer her from the truth that is the "glory of God."

Fair enough Big Grin

And concretely? What would you have done?

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
08-04-2015, 11:07 AM
(08-04-2015 10:56 AM)Alex K Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 10:55 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  From my Messianic friend's point of view? Probably something like her two best friends have been taken over by the Illuminati to perform the devil's work and steer her from the truth that is the "glory of God."

Fair enough Big Grin

And concretely? What would you have done?

I think the main idea of the proposed intervention was really just to get her to calm the fuck down, if I may be so blunt. Her current beliefs all stemmed from various conspiracy theories and eventually she turned into a completely different and paranoid person.

She would rant about how she wishes she could save all of her friends and get them to accept the truth and that everything we know is a lie and that we don't own our own thoughts.

She even told me one time that I should talk to my water and thank it because it has feelings...Blink

I love the girl to death and all, but I really don't think there's anything I could say to her at this point that would cause her to change her mind about anything even a little bit.

08-04-2015, 11:29 AM
How did she slip into this conspiracy thing? Search for identity?