Pissy Previews

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2017, 10:13 PM
Pissy Previews
I should post this in the rant section but, oh well, here it is in casual coffeehouse. I just got back from seeing Wonder Woman. (It's an ok movie.....pretty good.) Here's what I'm pissed about. There was over a half an hour of previews! A half an hour! And we got there over 5 minutes late so it could have been 35 minutes of previews and there might have been some other advertising before we got there too. Jesus H Christ.

And then why the hell does every previewed superhero movie have to have a loud, deep sounding THUMP or a huge WAMP! sound every time something gets hit. It's always the same damn sound. Drives me nuts. Does someone have a patent on that sound and has lobbied the movie industry to use it in every action film? Cant' the sound effects people find a different sound??

And what about the price of popcorn? it's about 40 cents of popcorn that they charge $6 or 7 dollars.

I like going to movies and watching a film with strangers. I think it's a need social thing to do, but goddamn those stupid previews and the overpriced popcorn.

So there!Angry

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
17-06-2017, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2017 10:21 PM by jennybee.)
RE: Pissy Previews
You're going to hate me, but I actually like the previews Tongue I also like to go to the drive-in, which my bf hates because he finds sitting in the car uncomfortable. But I will tell you that you may want to try a drive in because the ones I've been to don't have a ton of previews. Plus you can go to the snack bar if you don't like the previews and not bother anyone or have to scoot by anyone since you are just going to your car. You can also adjust the volume in your car if you don't like the loud whamps. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
17-06-2017, 10:34 PM
The theaters near my home and school normally clock in at 17 minutes.

Maybe I'm weird, I can't really remember ever seeing something because I saw a preview at a theater. Normally if I'm interested enough to actually buy a ticket I already saw it online. The previews are just that time when I'm forced to listen in surround sound to the obnoxious trailers I made a point of ignoring (I walked out of the theater and hung around in the hall the second time I saw a movie for a trailer for Sing came on).

It's not really the exact same thing, but Disney recently announced they're including a 21 minute Frozen "special" in theaters before Pixar's Coco. So that's a solid 38 minutes of crud before I can just see the movie I paid for. It really makes me feel like maybe waiting for the Blu-Ray wouldn't be that bad, the thought of having to sit through all that's so obnoxious to me. I'll have to ask the theaters if they still let you in if you arrive a half hour late.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
17-06-2017, 11:50 PM
(17-06-2017 10:13 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  And then why the hell does every previewed superhero movie have to have a loud, deep sounding THUMP or a huge WAMP! sound every time something gets hit. It's always the same damn sound. Drives me nuts. Does someone have a patent on that sound and has lobbied the movie industry to use it in every action film? Cant' the sound effects people find a different sound??

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
18-06-2017, 02:06 AM
That's why I don't go to the cinemas. Commercials (of sort) I can always watch at home.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
18-06-2017, 05:15 AM
(17-06-2017 10:13 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I should post this in the rant section but, oh well, here it is in casual coffeehouse. I just got back from seeing Wonder Woman. (It's an ok movie.....pretty good.) Here's what I'm pissed about. There was over a half an hour of previews! A half an hour! And we got there over 5 minutes late so it could have been 35 minutes of previews and there might have been some other advertising before we got there too. Jesus H Christ.

And then why the hell does every previewed superhero movie have to have a loud, deep sounding THUMP or a huge WAMP! sound every time something gets hit. It's always the same damn sound. Drives me nuts. Does someone have a patent on that sound and has lobbied the movie industry to use it in every action film? Cant' the sound effects people find a different sound??

And what about the price of popcorn? it's about 40 cents of popcorn that they charge $6 or 7 dollars.

I like going to movies and watching a film with strangers. I think it's a need social thing to do, but goddamn those stupid previews and the overpriced popcorn.

So there!Angry

The more popular and/or new the movie, the more previews get shoved in front of it.

That's why I'm glad my theater now has a full bar in the lobby and lets you take your drink into the movie auditorium. At least you can drink your way through them.
18-06-2017, 07:29 AM
(17-06-2017 11:50 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

Thanks for sharing these, this is great! I had no idea what A113 or The Wilhelm Scream was until today. Great stuff!
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
18-06-2017, 08:27 AM
(17-06-2017 10:13 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I should post this in the rant section but, oh well, here it is in casual coffeehouse. I just got back from seeing Wonder Woman. (It's an ok movie.....pretty good.) Here's what I'm pissed about. There was over a half an hour of previews! A half an hour! And we got there over 5 minutes late so it could have been 35 minutes of previews and there might have been some other advertising before we got there too. Jesus H Christ.

So there!Angry

For very much the same reasons I stopped going to the cinema years ago. I have been once in the last twenty years and I walked out five minutes into the film - it was too loud for comfort.

The smell of popcorn nauseates me, so that's another good reason to stay away.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

18-06-2017, 09:10 AM
I love going to the movies. I think it's one of the most wonderful things to do, sit with total strangers and watch a movie. But damn those stupid previews. Thirty minutes of them. I timed it. And about three of the previewed movies look the same (DC superhero movies) I'm hearing the same sounds effects from each of them.

By the way, the best part of Wonder Woman was when she and the hero of the movie conversed...... in sentences. Actual sentences.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
18-06-2017, 09:31 AM
I suppose I'm the odd one out when it comes to the previews. I actually like sitting through them as I feel like I'm getting what I paid for... entertainment.

We have Apple TV at home so we don't get commercials for the channels we have loaded. The internet and previews are the only way I ever know what's coming out (other than big named movies such as Star Wars). As far as the Popcorn goes... eh... is what it is. Yes it's overpriced along with everything else in a movie theater but that is where the theater makes most of it's profit. It's much like anything else. You go to a concert, football game, baseball game, etc... you are going to pay out the ass for what you could normally get for a fraction of the cost.

As far as the sound goes... I don't go see superhero movies as I never got into comics as a kid. I just don't find them interesting or entertaining. I much prefer a dialogue driven movie as it make you think, laugh, cry, or all the above.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post