Pitbulls

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2013, 01:20 PM
RE: Pitbulls
(14-02-2013 12:59 PM)k37713 Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 12:47 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I spent many years training in Schutzhund. My Dobie at the time (avatar picture) was an Alpha if there ever was one and most other dogs could tell and gave him a wide berth BUT NOT Chihuahuas or Jack Russels. Both breeds large of heart and small in the self preservation department.

I love Dobies Smile I will probably try Schutzlund with my next Giant - I did agility with my first -- I had her tested to do Schutzlund and she failed miserably.. she was kinda a wussie but she was fearless on the agility course -- she made that teeter totter her bitch.. ha

Funny bit about the teeter totter.

In my classes there was a Giant that was literally feared for its intensity. We had a trainer/decoy that stood 6'4" and weighed 250 or so, and when that dog was given the command "packen" the eyes turned red, the horns grew out and the teeth got long and holy shit! If the trainer failed to time the hit just so and turn/swing at impact to deflect the dog's momentum he was toast.

But the most impressive breed to me was always the Malanois, energetic, strong, quick and tenacious.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2013, 01:32 PM
That's an interesting statistic. Dogs in fenced-in yards tend to show more aggression too.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
14-02-2013, 02:27 PM
(14-02-2013 01:32 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  That's an interesting statistic. Dogs in fenced-in yards tend to show more aggression too.
See we have our dog tied up in the yard and if she attacks someone for being behind our house Thats fine with me you don't come in to my yard with out my permission. my dog is more likely going to lick you to death LOL.
14-02-2013, 02:27 PM
(14-02-2013 01:32 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  That's an interesting statistic. Dogs in fenced-in yards tend to show more aggression too.
It makes me wonder about the effect of jail in humans Consider

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
14-02-2013, 02:40 PM
(13-02-2013 03:35 PM)Dom Wrote:  Dogs are what people make them. They should be jailing the owners of aggressive pits and make sure they never own any pets again.
Screw that. They should make the penalty for dog fighting being locked into a room for 24 hours with their own dog and investigate anyone with an aggressive dog for dog fighting. I know people with an aggressive dog and they are taking steps to treat it with medication. If you are intentionally making your dog aggressive, you must have something to hide. If they are just naturally that way, then steps can be taken to avoid trouble. Medication, avoid other dogs and people, training, or if needed putting the animal down.
14-02-2013, 02:46 PM
(14-02-2013 01:20 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 12:59 PM)k37713 Wrote:  I love Dobies Smile I will probably try Schutzlund with my next Giant - I did agility with my first -- I had her tested to do Schutzlund and she failed miserably.. she was kinda a wussie but she was fearless on the agility course -- she made that teeter totter her bitch.. ha

Funny bit about the teeter totter.

In my classes there was a Giant that was literally feared for its intensity. We had a trainer/decoy that stood 6'4" and weighed 250 or so, and when that dog was given the command "packen" the eyes turned red, the horns grew out and the teeth got long and holy shit! If the trainer failed to time the hit just so and turn/swing at impact to deflect the dog's momentum he was toast.

But the most impressive breed to me was always the Malanois, energetic, strong, quick and tenacious.

Yeah -- I would not want to be on the receiving end of a giant with a vengeance! Malanois are great dogs too!! You know .. honestly I love all the dogs in the working dog class.

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
14-02-2013, 03:48 PM
(14-02-2013 10:36 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Interesting little side note: does anyone know what dog breed is considered to have the highest potential for agression by most professional trainers? (Kellie and Dom, you probably already know, so let someone else guess! Smile )

I'm guessing Chow or Shar Pei. I hear them cute little fuckers can be nasty as fuck.

(14-02-2013 10:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 10:14 AM)nach_in Wrote:  I want to buy a dog some time in the future, when I do I'll direct all my questions to you, I'm just telling you so you know Sleepy

I'd like you to consider not buying a dog but instead rescuing one from a shelter or rescue society.

There are a lot of worthy dogs who need homes.

My wife fosters dogs from the Beagle Rescue Society of Southern Maryland. She has a permanent core pack of a dozen or so of her own and integrates the foster dogs into the pack in preparation for adoption. The pack collectively reforms even the most aggressive of dogs in preparation for adoption. Of course it takes some time and the one time a dog has kicked my ass is when I tried to give a new, particularly aggressive (meaning particularly abused by humans) fosters a kiss when I was drunk. Fucker bit the shit out of my face. I instinctively responded by trying to punch the shit out of him and ended up with not only a fucked up face but fucked up knuckles and hands and arms as well. In my State a dog which bites a man not only can't be adopted, it gets put down. Needless to say that particular dog is now a permanent member of the pack. And is now one of the most docile of all of them. Pack socialization is a fucking fascinating thing to watch.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-02-2013, 10:39 AM
FCC got it. Jack Russels.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
15-02-2013, 11:13 AM
I like dogs -- but I never considered getting anything other than a shelter dog. I have friends that plunk down big money for their dogs -- talked endlessly about pedigree and the "right" breeder. Eh...to me it's a dog...it smells and licks its ass.

I will totally say our dog...is the MOST easy going, well behaved dog I've ever owned. Not in that highly trained or conditioned way. He's never chewed up toys (including his own) or shoes or anything and we leave a lot of crap laying around, he doesn't bark without purpose. He hates it when my husband and I argue...he'll leave the room if we raise our voices (usually he'll go upstairs and into one of the kids rooms). If the kid leaves his food on the table the dog won't gobble it up. He'll wait to see if EVERYONE leaves the room first -- then it's fair game. Smile He doesn't want to run the moment a door is opened -- in fact he'd NEVER run away...He's truly the most gentlest soul I've ever met. And this will sound truly weird or strange...

I think in some ways he's softened me and helped me to be a giving and accepting person.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-02-2013, 11:33 AM
(15-02-2013 11:13 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I like dogs -- but I never considered getting anything other than a shelter dog. I have friends that plunk down big money for their dogs -- talked endlessly about pedigree and the "right" breeder. Eh...to me it's a dog...it smells and licks its ass.

I will totally say our dog...is the MOST easy going, well behaved dog I've ever owned. Not in that highly trained or conditioned way. He's never chewed up toys (including his own) or shoes or anything and we leave a lot of crap laying around, he doesn't bark without purpose. He hates it when my husband and I argue...he'll leave the room if we raise our voices (usually he'll go upstairs and into one of the kids rooms). If the kid leaves his food on the table the dog won't gobble it up. He'll wait to see if EVERYONE leaves the room first -- then it's fair game. Smile He doesn't want to run the moment a door is opened -- in fact he'd NEVER run away...He's truly the most gentlest soul I've ever met. And this will sound truly weird or strange...

I think in some ways he's softened me and helped me to be a giving and accepting person.

All dogs go to heaven.. Tongue

I am obsessed with Giant Schnauzers-- but depending on what I'm looking for I may rescue from a breed group ( looking for an older boy now just to be a pet and run with me ) or I may buy a puppy from a breeder if I'm looking to do something specific with him/her. I love training getting involved in dog sports.. i.e. agility, obdedience, dock diving,tracking,herding, schutzlund and I am a very active person so I want a large dog to run with me and also play frisbee, go hiking.. ect..basically he will occupy the backseat of my suv when I am not working.. So to me all dogs are not the same BUT that being said.. I love all decently behaved dogs and would snuggle any ol four legger Smile

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang