Pitcairn: The land no one wants

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2015, 03:02 PM
Pitcairn: The land no one wants
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...free-land.html

Quote:Land is free and plentiful, the weather is good and there would be little chance of confrontation with the neighbours.

Yet almost nobody wants to wants to move to Pitcairn, the tiny Pacific island that was settled by mutineers from HMS Bounty.

The population on Britain’s smallest colony has been dwindling for years, and there are now fewer than 50 islanders left. But locals are struggling to find new settlers to follow in the footsteps of Fletcher Christian, who led the mutiny.

Only one application has been received to move to the island, even though the government provides all immigrants with a plot to build their own house and temperatures stay above 62F (17C) all year round.

If I had a reliable source of income comparable to what I make now, I would move there in a heartbeat. I mean....FREE LAND! ....well, I guess I would have to learn how to build a house I guess. Not sure how much land they would just give me for free. I imagine its a really good nice size plot of land. So, umm...anyone know how to make money in a place with no job opportunities and knows how to build a house that wants to move to Pitcairn with me?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2015, 03:06 PM
RE: Pitcairn: The land no one wants
(24-04-2015 03:02 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...free-land.html

Quote:Land is free and plentiful, the weather is good and there would be little chance of confrontation with the neighbours.

Yet almost nobody wants to wants to move to Pitcairn, the tiny Pacific island that was settled by mutineers from HMS Bounty.

The population on Britain’s smallest colony has been dwindling for years, and there are now fewer than 50 islanders left. But locals are struggling to find new settlers to follow in the footsteps of Fletcher Christian, who led the mutiny.

Only one application has been received to move to the island, even though the government provides all immigrants with a plot to build their own house and temperatures stay above 62F (17C) all year round.

If I had a reliable source of income comparable to what I make now, I would move there in a heartbeat. I mean....FREE LAND! ....well, I guess I would have to learn how to build a house I guess. Not sure how much land they would just give me for free. I imagine its a really good nice size plot of land. So, umm...anyone know how to make money in a place with no job opportunities and knows how to build a house that wants to move to Pitcairn with me?

Are you female? Consider

Do they have internet?

Do they have TV?

Do they have cheeseburgers and pizza?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-04-2015, 03:23 PM
(24-04-2015 03:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 03:02 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...free-land.html

Are you female? Consider

Do they have internet?

Do they have TV?

Not female

They apparently just got the internet

Not sure about T.V but maybe.

I doubt it. It says that they only get food shipments to their store every 3 months. So I am guessing that food is dangerously low and its probably at least 90% grow your own. Reeaaallll self sufficient kind of place. That is why its build your own home lol.

24-04-2015, 03:27 PM
(24-04-2015 03:23 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 03:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  Are you female? Consider

Do they have internet?

Do they have TV?

Not female

They apparently just got the internet

Not sure about T.V but maybe.

I doubt it. It says that they only get food shipments to their store every 3 months. So I am guessing that food is dangerously low and its probably at least 90% grow your own. Reeaaallll self sufficient kind of place. That is why its build your own home lol.

I'd move there.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

24-04-2015, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I wanna move there but I need to figure out how to make money and find someone who knows how to build house lol. I guess I could hire someone but it would be expensive. Especially since I would need/want heating/cooling and at least two stories with basement floors if the area can support that kind of thing. Plus an upper deck with a hot tub. I mean...its my built house afterall lol.

Maybe if we all pull our money and heads together we can think of something.

[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
24-04-2015, 04:20 PM
(24-04-2015 03:38 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Yeah, I wanna move there but I need to figure out how to make money and find someone who knows how to build house lol. I guess I could hire someone but it would be expensive. Especially since I would need/want heating/cooling and at least two stories with basement floors if the area can support that kind of thing. Plus an upper deck with a hot tub. I mean...its my built house afterall lol.

Maybe if we all pull our money and heads together we can think of something.

Yeah totally agree on at least the cooling. Smile the basement is totally a must too.

I can do tile and mud drywall. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

24-04-2015, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2015 06:53 PM by dancefortwo.)
The link didn't work for me but years ago there was a PBS program about Pitcairn Island which was fascinating. From what I remember the reason no one lives there is that supplies can only be delivered by boat and only from one area of the island at a certain time of year and even that is very precarious. There is a junkyard of boats that have crashed against the rocks that surround the island.

That's what I remember from the show anyway.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
24-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Sounds like I'm moving.
24-04-2015, 06:58 PM
The link doesn't work. I have lots of questions like how do u make money there?
24-04-2015, 07:21 PM
(24-04-2015 06:58 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  The link doesn't work. I have lots of questions like how do u make money there?

You sell pieces of unuseable land to foreign rubes.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post