Pizza Toppings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2014, 08:24 PM
RE: Pizza Toppings
As italian and as a cook, I'm a strong believer in pizza. In fact i wish that pizza and not spaghetti would be a deity, mostly because I then had the right to call heretics those people around the world who have the balls to call pizza things that I wouldn't feed a dog with. No

I'm not saying that only in Italy you can find a good one, but there are principles you just can't ignore, or you should call it a pie and not pizza. The biggest problem is the cheese. Mozzarella cheese, from buffalo or cow milk, is very unique, in flavour and texture, but very often it's been replaced by cheaper "stuff", very different. Someone could say: so what? I like cheddar on my pizza! OK, but then you should call it with another name, for the same reason that an apple pie can't be sold as such if it has pears instead of apples in it. It may not seems a valid argument, but trust me, in italy you don't expect any other kind of cheese on a pizza, unless it's added as other ingredient, like in a "4 formaggi" (mozzarella plus other 3 cheeses).

As for the crust, there is a reason why it should be thin. The best way to bake a pizza is in a wood fired oven, to add a nice smoky flavour. This kind of oven reaches 400°C (752°F), and the baking process takes very little time, resulting good for the crust and the toppings. If the dough is too high, it takes too long for it to be ready and the toppings will dry out or burn.

Now to the toppings! There is really no rule anymore. Hell! I like pineapples on it and I call it hawaiian (not sure if in the aloha state such thing exists). For myself I usually bake my pizza (no, I don't order it and neither should you), with chopped tomato, mozzarella and fresh basil leaves, or with mushrooms, garlic and bacon, the already mentioned pineapple with ham, or gorgonzola cheese. Occasionally hot italian salami or prosciutto crudo (dry-cured ham).

I don't want to hurt any feelings, but when I see a movie or a TV show and some character talks about the best pizza in New York or wherever, and then I see it... Facepalm Big Grin

The real gospel: Jesus went rogue and preached love instead of genocide. God got angry and went old testament style on Jesus's ass, setting him up to be tortured and killed. The End.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Hand tossed
Olive oil
Mozzarella
Sliced tomatoes
Feta cheese
Olives black and green
Artichoke hearts
Onions
Best pizza ever.

I have laughed, in bitterness and agony of heart, at the contrast between what I seem and what I am!
Nathaniel Hawthorne
[+] 1 user Likes LostandInsecure's post
20-02-2014, 09:13 PM
Crust depends on mood. Canadian bacon, slightly crisped. As well as regular bacon bits. I like a layer of cream cheese under the mozzarella too, not every place offers the cream cheese option, but they damn well should.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
20-02-2014, 09:34 PM
(20-02-2014 09:13 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Crust depends on mood. Canadian bacon, slightly crisped. As well as regular bacon bits. I like a layer of cream cheese under the mozzarella too, not every place offers the cream cheese option, but they damn well should.

I have never ever heard of cream cheese on pizza. Ham, bacon, and cream cheese? Sounds like a delicious slice of fat to me lol Tongue

I have laughed, in bitterness and agony of heart, at the contrast between what I seem and what I am!
Nathaniel Hawthorne
[+] 1 user Likes LostandInsecure's post
20-02-2014, 09:50 PM
(20-02-2014 09:34 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 09:13 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Crust depends on mood. Canadian bacon, slightly crisped. As well as regular bacon bits. I like a layer of cream cheese under the mozzarella too, not every place offers the cream cheese option, but they damn well should.

I have never ever heard of cream cheese on pizza. Ham, bacon, and cream cheese? Sounds like a delicious slice of fat to me lol Tongue

Try it, you won't regret it.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
21-02-2014, 03:50 PM

Yes. Lately it's been almost impossible for me to have pizza without cream cheese. I even add it myself if there's no option (but I usually make my own pizza Big Grin )

Many verses are like silver threads
tied on the chimes of the stars-
if you pull them,
a silver peal makes the horizon vibrate.
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
21-02-2014, 04:01 PM
You guys are making me really hungry
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-02-2014, 06:23 PM
(21-02-2014 04:01 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  You guys are making me really hungry

Me too!!

Nathaniel Hawthorne
22-02-2014, 01:24 AM
(20-02-2014 06:08 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 04:23 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I am here to say that flat bread (thin crust) pizza is nasty, and that there should be an amendment to ban it.

End of announcement.
woman! to get off my thread with your blasphemous words!

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post
22-02-2014, 01:25 AM
(20-02-2014 09:34 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  

Domino's serves that here.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.