Place your American accent quiz/map

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2013, 06:28 PM
RE: Place your American accent quiz/map
I say pop. When I lived in Georgia I would have been fine with soda. At least I knew what that meant. So you can imagine my surprise, (at 12 years old when I first moved there) when my first conversation with someone about pop(soda) went something like this:

Hey, you want a coke?
Sure.
Sweet tea or lemonade?
Huh?
What kinda coke you want? Sweet tea or lemonade?
O.o

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
22-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Some older people also say sodey and fizzy.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
22-12-2013, 06:37 PM
(22-12-2013 06:24 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(22-12-2013 05:11 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  No kidding. Although up here in Oregon, I've taken to saying carbonated caramel colored sugary beverage. Because when I say soda they blink. And if I say coke they ask if "pepsi" is ok. Stupid people here.

But...coke is yucky. Pepsi is better. Dr. Pepper is best!

Smile hence why I call it a caramel colored carbonated sugary beverage.

I like coke -- it's fine, but it's soda -- coke is more my default to soda. If I want dr pepper I'll ask for that and if I feel like Pepsi I'll specify that. If I say soda it means something like a Coke or Pepsi, same if I ask for a coke.

I don't understand the term "pop" which to me is comepetely imprecise and can refer to anything from coke, Pepsi, mountain dew, root beer, ginger ale, orange soda....

Which brings me to the next point orange soda is called that to set it apart from regular soda.

Wow..my anal retentiveness has certainly been triggered.

I'll hush now. Smile

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-12-2013, 06:50 PM
(22-12-2013 06:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-12-2013 06:24 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  But...coke is yucky. Pepsi is better. Dr. Pepper is best!

Smile hence why I call it a caramel colored carbonated sugary beverage.

I like coke -- it's fine, but it's soda -- coke is more my default to soda. If I want dr pepper I'll ask for that and if I feel like Pepsi I'll specify that. If I say soda it means something like a Coke or Pepsi, same if I ask for a coke.

I don't understand the term "pop" which to me is comepetely imprecise and can refer to anything from coke, Pepsi, mountain dew, root beer, ginger ale, orange soda....

Which brings me to the next point orange soda is called that to set it apart from regular soda.

Wow..my anal retentiveness has certainly been triggered.

I'll hush now. Smile

Hmmm interesting. Pop is a general term here. We use specific names for each one when we want to order it or whatever, but if asking someone would say "what kind of pop do you want?"
And I still orange soda and cream soda. It bothers me when people say orange pop. Just sounds wrong. Lol
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
22-12-2013, 06:51 PM
I guess it won't surprise anyone to learn that my end-map started with deep, deep blue on the west side slowly fading to white on the east side.

Oddly, (what I guess to be) Hawaii was slightly orange.

Sorry, Quilly, this one was not for those unsighted. But don't feel bad, it wasn't that exciting.

22-12-2013, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2013 07:17 PM by sporehux.)
The merry Mary and marry answer. (Three different sounds) puts me in newyork only.
New Orleans and Hawaii seem best suit for Strayens. (Ozzies).

Kitty corner . Never heard that before this quiz.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
22-12-2013, 07:31 PM
(22-12-2013 01:47 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I received Seattle as a match. Also, Ive never heard of drive thru liquor stores.

I have seen a few drive thru liquor stores in the south and in Kansas where I am from.

It placed me in Ohio although Kansas was in red as well.

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
22-12-2013, 07:38 PM
(22-12-2013 07:31 PM)Crulax Wrote:  
(22-12-2013 01:47 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I received Seattle as a match. Also, Ive never heard of drive thru liquor stores.

I have seen a few drive thru liquor stores in the south and in Kansas where I am from.

It placed me in Ohio although Kansas was in red as well.

We had a fast food restaurant that sold beer at the drive through for a while, but people threw a fit. It was short lived (Iowa)
22-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Drive through liquor stores are as common as McDonalds in all Australian cities.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
22-12-2013, 07:50 PM
(22-12-2013 09:18 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Someone tell me mine please!
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/...40000k0200

I can't see it on my phone Sad

Your 3 most similar cities are Columbus, Cincinnati, and Toledo, Ohio. Your least similar area is New England, also New Orleans.
[+] 1 user Likes Juv's post