Place your bets ... when and where will Ebola arrive in the US ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2014, 05:09 AM
RE: Place your bets ... when and where will Ebola arrive in the US ?
Probably not at the Texas / Mexico boarder Big Grin.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2014, 03:00 PM
(01-08-2014 12:27 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(31-07-2014 10:33 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Atlanta, DC, or NYC. My top bet is Atlanta. Time frame - 6 weeks.

Honestly, I'm doubtful it will make it to the US, or that we would be alerted if it did and it were only an isolated case.

I'm not usually much of a conspiracy theorist, but I think it would be covered up if possible. There was very little on the news about last winter's horrific flu season. My hospital had to rent vents from others (according to our respiratory therapists) and people in their 20/30s were dying in smaller hospitals waiting on transfer to ICUs that utilized rotoprone beds and ECMO. At one point we were putting minor complaints in chairs because we ran out of hall beds in our ED primarily due to the huge influx of influenza patients - and I worked at one of the largest EDs in the US. We also had a problem with a lot of false negative flu tests, and ran out of swabs, leading to inaccurate data for reporting. The influenza patients necessitating fluid boluses contributed to a normal saline shortage nationwide from the demand and a spike in prices. We actually had to stop priming our trauma tubing (we would normally have a Level I infuser primed and ready to go at all times) to conserve supplies.

Since you are a professional in health care, what do you think the chances are of this getting totally out of control in Africa at least if it isn't already? I half heard some doctor this morning on the news say that they are approaching the tipping point of keeping this outbreak contained.

In my personal opinion, spreading to multiple countries and still getting new cases is not contained and thus out of control already. They don't have the resources (proper facilities, trained professionals, educated citizens..) to contain it and care for so many critically ill patients. If someone in the incubation period hopped on a plane and an outbreak were to occur in the US, we have the resources to handle it. Provided it doesn't mutate. I would think if it becomes airborne then we have more reason to worry.

To be honest, I don't know much about the virus itself and the hard science behind mutations. My knowledge is more practical - how to protect myself and others with contact vs droplet vs airborne.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
03-08-2014, 01:14 PM
It's worth remembering that Ebola has never managed to spread in countries with proper medical facilities...

This strain is the same as previous outbreaks, which were contained successfully... In this case, it is more a struggle against superstition and tribal beliefs.

Reportedly, the hospitals receiving patients in the region are extremely poorly equipped, right down to the bare essentials... Contaminated syringes being reused, and surgical equipment not being sterilised.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
03-08-2014, 03:30 PM
I was reading somewhere that patients held in isolation were released by locals claiming they were not really sick but afflicted by witchcraft. Doctors have been accused of making people sick by tribal people.

You wonder why it's spreading?!

This is beyond 3rd world.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

03-08-2014, 03:33 PM
I hardly leave my house so I'm not concerned lol, I'd have to say Atlanta too since that Doctor is there that was infected.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
03-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Charlotte, NC because it's home to a bazillion charities that send people there and I know too many ladies who say " oh no, honey, don't worry about me. I'm fine, it's just a little cold from the airplane"

They are usually the same little ladies who only rinse the very tippy tips of their fingers after using the restroom.

Sadcryface

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
03-08-2014, 11:23 PM
Usually the infected don't live long enough to travel anywhere to spread infection. Oh the joys of modern civilization.
04-08-2014, 04:17 PM
Possibly NYC. they have an ill patient that *could* have it. They are still testing and evaluating.

Although I'm thinking Charlotte is still in the top 5.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/si...urn/ngtYK/

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
05-08-2014, 02:07 AM
(04-08-2014 04:17 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Possibly NYC. they have an ill patient that *could* have it. They are still testing and evaluating.

Although I'm thinking Charlotte is still in the top 5.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/si...urn/ngtYK/

Doctor's in New York have said that the patient likely does not have Ebola.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/04...48821.html

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
05-08-2014, 02:32 AM
(31-07-2014 10:33 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Atlanta, DC, or NYC. My top bet is Atlanta. Time frame - 6 weeks.

Honestly, I'm doubtful it will make it to the US, or that we would be alerted if it did and it were only an isolated case.

I'm not usually much of a conspiracy theorist, but I think it would be covered up if possible. There was very little on the news about last winter's horrific flu season. My hospital had to rent vents from others (according to our respiratory therapists) and people in their 20/30s were dying in smaller hospitals waiting on transfer to ICUs that utilized rotoprone beds and ECMO. At one point we were putting minor complaints in chairs because we ran out of hall beds in our ED primarily due to the huge influx of influenza patients - and I worked at one of the largest EDs in the US. We also had a problem with a lot of false negative flu tests, and ran out of swabs, leading to inaccurate data for reporting. The influenza patients necessitating fluid boluses contributed to a normal saline shortage nationwide from the demand and a spike in prices. We actually had to stop priming our trauma tubing (we would normally have a Level I infuser primed and ready to go at all times) to conserve supplies.

Why would it be covered up when pharmaceutical companies can make millions by creating half arsed vaccines to protect people just like when the UK government bought a ton of tamiflu when bird flu was around and turns out it wasn't even effective.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
[+] 2 users Like TheLogicalAthiest's post