Place your bets ... when and where will Ebola arrive in the US ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2014, 04:21 PM
RE: Place your bets ... when and where will Ebola arrive in the US ?
Five children that attend four different schools are now being monitored due to their contact with the man with Ebola as well as the three EMTs that transported him to the hospital.

It's gonna get ugly, I'm afraid.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2014, 04:45 PM
(01-10-2014 12:38 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I didn't think anyone picked Dallas, Girlyman stated Dallas yesterday after the news report was released that someone exhibiting symptoms had test results were pending - I thought he was being facetious.

The best way to hedge your bets is to not place them too early. It's all in the timing. Big Grin

(01-10-2014 04:21 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Five children that attend four different schools are now being monitored due to their contact with the man with Ebola as well as the three EMTs that transported him to the hospital.

It's gonna get ugly, I'm afraid.

The scariest part of this story is that the hospital released him the first time he went to the ER. Apparently he was asked if he had been abroad and answered "Yes, Africa." but that information was not adequately conveyed. Shocking

#sigh
01-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Yeah, they sent him home with antibiotics. Now he is in critical condition and even more people were likely exposed.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

01-10-2014, 04:58 PM
(01-10-2014 03:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I actually thought it would be Minneapolis as they have a large immigrant population from Liberia, (my cousins said). They said they were expecting a case in one of their big ER's. I am actually stunned there are not some sort of restrictions in place ... not that they would do any good, as people could just travel in Africa, and embark from somewhere else.

But wouldn't you still have Liberia stamped on your passport?

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
01-10-2014, 05:19 PM
(01-10-2014 04:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The scariest part of this story is that the hospital released him the first time he went to the ER. Apparently he was asked if he had been abroad and answered "Yes, Africa." but that information was not adequately conveyed. Shocking

To be fair, the vast, vast majority of Africa is also ebola-free...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
01-10-2014, 05:23 PM
(01-10-2014 05:19 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 04:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The scariest part of this story is that the hospital released him the first time he went to the ER. Apparently he was asked if he had been abroad and answered "Yes, Africa." but that information was not adequately conveyed. Shocking

To be fair, the vast, vast majority of Africa is also ebola-free...

As a former ER nurse with half a damn brain I'd have asked where the fuck in Africa the patient travelled. And then I'd make sure everyone in the whole damn department knew so they wouldn't walk in my room if the patient hit their call button. And then I'd call my husband to tell him to pack up and take himself and our son to the grandparents for the next month.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
01-10-2014, 05:30 PM
(01-10-2014 05:23 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 05:19 PM)cjlr Wrote:  To be fair, the vast, vast majority of Africa is also ebola-free...

As a former ER nurse with half a damn brain I'd have asked where the fuck in Africa the patient travelled. And then I'd make sure everyone in the whole damn department knew so they wouldn't walk in my room if the patient hit their call button. And then I'd call my husband to tell him to pack up and take himself and our son to the grandparents for the next month.

Step 1 - Realize Liberia is in Africa. I'm guessing that's what went wrong. A lack of geographic knowledge can lead to an epidemic. I think that actually scares me even more.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-10-2014, 05:31 PM
(01-10-2014 05:23 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 05:19 PM)cjlr Wrote:  To be fair, the vast, vast majority of Africa is also ebola-free...

As a former ER nurse with half a damn brain I'd have asked where the fuck in Africa the patient travelled.

As would I, were I even remotely involved.

But statistically speaking, having been "in Africa" doesn't, absent any further information, support any significantly higher chance of exposure.
(notwithstanding that in this case there was further information and some serious fuckups in terms of not following up on it)

(01-10-2014 05:23 PM)Nurse Wrote:  And then I'd make sure everyone in the whole damn department knew so they wouldn't walk in my room if the patient hit their call button. And then I'd call my husband to tell him to pack up and take himself and our son to the grandparents for the next month.

Ah, yes, but you see, you understand quarantines and lockdowns... I can only hope that's what they're doing now.

The (so far remote) prospect of a general quarantine is troublesome. I think there are enough "GUMMINT CANT TELL ME WHERE I CANT GO" people in that end of the world to seriously fuck that shit up.

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
01-10-2014, 05:42 PM
It would be easier for me to understand the lack of response on the part of the ER team if the Dallas/Fort Worth area hadn't already had someone with Ebola here that came here with it, received treatment, and recovered.

In this area it hasn't been an 'it happens somewhere else' thing. It has been all over the news here before this man even arrived.

The hospitals should have already addressed the issue and put out vast amounts of information to their staffs.

01-10-2014, 06:31 PM
We did disaster drills every three months. We did radiation training on a yearly basis with TVA. We would have yearly drills utilizing police, fire and EMS. One year we simulated a plane crash at the airport. We underwent several actual disasters when I worked there. The only training we didn't do was a zombie apocalypse. Even in nursing school we trained for pandemic flu - which would utilize similar precautions. We had daily shift huddles and every week we would focus on a new topic/system. I don't understand how this was missed. Shit, as an inpatient nurse I'm questioning every inpatient about their travel history to the Middle East to screen for MERS. Travel history to Africa is a big giant blinking epileptic fucking red flag. This is unacceptable.

[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post