Place your bets ... when and where will Ebola arrive in the US ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2014, 07:15 PM
RE: Place your bets ... when and where will Ebola arrive in the US ?
So how about that. After all the bullshit from Rick Perry and his gang of Texas Shitheads it wasn't brought in by an immigrant kid from El Salvador anyway.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
01-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Anjele? It's slow news cycle and the media loses their shit about every illness, potentially contagious or not. I really hope you aren't too frightened over this. :/

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
01-10-2014, 11:48 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2014 01:10 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(01-10-2014 06:31 PM)Nurse Wrote:  We did disaster drills every three months. We did radiation training on a yearly basis with TVA. We would have yearly drills utilizing police, fire and EMS. One year we simulated a plane crash at the airport. We underwent several actual disasters when I worked there. The only training we didn't do was a zombie apocalypse. Even in nursing school we trained for pandemic flu - which would utilize similar precautions. We had daily shift huddles and every week we would focus on a new topic/system. I don't understand how this was missed. Shit, as an inpatient nurse I'm questioning every inpatient about their travel history to the Middle East to screen for MERS. Travel history to Africa is a big giant blinking epileptic fucking red flag. This is unacceptable.

When I was in grade school we got all painted/gooped up as disaster victims for Children's Hospital drills. It was so fun. I liked being poked-prodded by the cute med students. (Oh wait ... that should be on the "Is this gay" thread) Blush

On the BBC overnight, they were talking about much more stringent travel screenings in the works. I've now heard two totally different stories from the Texas hospital ... yesterday an Infectious Diseases guy said they were aware of him at the first ED visit, now that's totally changed. Sad

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-10-2014, 07:03 PM
(23-08-2014 06:15 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  My Guess is that in 2 months from now. We will see its first appearance in the deep south of the US. Most likely Kentucky or Louisiana

I...was actually not that far off. Texas would had been a really good second guess of mine.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
02-10-2014, 07:08 PM
(01-10-2014 04:58 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 03:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I actually thought it would be Minneapolis as they have a large immigrant population from Liberia, (my cousins said). They said they were expecting a case in one of their big ER's. I am actually stunned there are not some sort of restrictions in place ... not that they would do any good, as people could just travel in Africa, and embark from somewhere else.

But wouldn't you still have Liberia stamped on your passport?

He told the hospital workers, they sent him home.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

02-10-2014, 07:23 PM
It's not like the guy was terribly forthcoming with info - this is from MSN and was also on the news here.

In Liberia, the head of the country's airport authority, Binyah Kesselly, said the government could prosecute Duncan for denying he had contact with someone who was eventually diagnosed with Ebola.

Not failing to mention - denying. Big difference.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
03-10-2014, 08:47 AM
So the blood and feces they are putting in my tacos/enchiladas here in San Antonio could have Ebola? Guess I'll go back to taking my chances with beef and contracting mad cow disease!

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. - Ambrose Bierce (The Devil's Dictionary)
[+] 2 users Like Silo1180's post
03-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Watched an interview with Professor Peter Piot last night, who co-discovered and named the virus in 1976... It was very interesting.

He pretty much ruled out the possibility of an outbreak in the US or anywhere else in the developed world, for the simple reason that we have the means to easily and totally isolate it. In Africa, it is basically spreading in perfect conditions...

He's also ruled out the possibility of it mutating into an airborne form...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
03-10-2014, 09:34 AM
(03-10-2014 09:26 AM)Sam Wrote:  Watched an interview with Professor Peter Piot last night, who co-discovered and named the virus in 1976... It was very interesting.

He pretty much ruled out the possibility of an outbreak in the US or anywhere else in the developed world, for the simple reason that we have the means to easily and totally isolate it. In Africa, it is basically spreading in perfect conditions...

Exactly but people still treat it like it's the next plague.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
03-10-2014, 09:41 AM
(03-10-2014 09:26 AM)Sam Wrote:  Watched an interview with Professor Peter Piot last night, who co-discovered and named the virus in 1976... It was very interesting.

Even a vary narrow outbreak would have serious consequences.

A disruption of transportation infrastructure for just a couple days (ie, a minimal lockdown and case isolation) would be economically chaotic - not to mention that perhaps the biggest issue is in the panic-driven responses of many people.

... this is my signature!